Legend of the Seas

Hi! I am thinking about booking a cruise on this ship which departs from the Dominican Republic March 9, 2008. Can anyone tell me about the ship?? The port (Santo Domingo-is it far from the airport?). Any good/clean/inexpensive hotels to stay in nearby? Also, how much does Royal Caribbean charge for tipping per person/day??? Any info would be appreciated!!! Thanks for all of your help!

Hi - Can't answer any of your questions but wanted to let you know we are booked on that cruise (also 3/2 doing b2b) booked last year when they first became available and prices have gone up with no balcony rooms available now on the 3/9 cruise so I wouldn't wait too long if your going to book . Hope to see you on a roll call later (thinking it may be alittle early to start one)

We recently cruised on the Legend out of Tampa. We loved her!!!! The crew was so friendly and the Captain went out of his way to speak to anyone he encountered. He was always so visible -- not like some. We also booked out of the Dominican Republic but in February so are looking forward to catching up with the crew friends we met. It is a good sized ship but everything is so close you don't have to walk a long way to reach anything. We were on deck 7, mid-ship so we had an ideal location. You will enjoy sailing on the Legend I am sure.

Hello!

There is a small-but-loyal cadre of Legend-Lovers here on Cruise Critic. I myself have sailed her to the Western Caribbean from Tampa, and am booked on a 12-night Med sailing in May, so the fact that I'm re-booking Legend should tell you something. I concur that the Captain is very engaging, and the crew is top-notch. Sometimes on the larger ships the "personal touch" can be lost just because the crew have so many more people to remember. On Legend, I had "my" bartender (Raul, sadly moved on to Freedom or Liberty) who had my drink ready even before I got to the bar and was always super-friendly. Our dining staff would recognize us elsewhere on the ship and greet us - it was just very convivial.

The ship itself is well-maintained, with the notable exception of the mini-golf course which was in pretty rough shape when last I sailed her. Even this, though, could be made part of the game if you had the right attitude (turf tear hazard, anyone?). It wasn't done when we sailed, but I'm told the bedding has been updated recently.

Yes, Legend is older than the bigger ships, and yes, she lacks some of the family-friendly amenities like the ice skating rink, central promenade, and Johnny Rockets. In my eyes she more than compensates with great expanses of glass, and a really intimate "at sea" feeling. I wouldn't hesitate to sail Legend again and again.

Once in awhile there will be a shockingly bad review of Legend, and I just have to wonder if they sailed the same ship I did - it just doesn't match with my experience. I think some of it is about having the right expectations - I would never describe Legend as "dirty" or "worn," but perhaps somebody expecting brand-new upholstery everywhere might. RCCL decor has always been more 'subdued' than, say, Carnival Pride, which is a lovely ship but a very different kind of atmosphere. I can see how somebody expecting "bright lights glitz" would see the decor on the vision-class ships as being a little staid. Considering the number of people that pass through these ships every week, it's amazing they hold up as well as they do. The maintenance crew was constantly in evidence - cleaning, polishing, repainting - you name it, and you simply cannot beat the sea-views that are afforded by the sheer quantities of glass and windows on these ships. They call them "Vision" class for a reason - you came out to "see" things - so why coop yourself up in a floating hotel?

Wow, that all came out sounding a bit like a commercial. Sorry about that. Anyway, if you have any Legend-related questions I'm sure one of us can help you out.

Hi! I am thinking about booking a cruise on this ship which departs from the Dominican Republic March 9, 2008. Can anyone tell me about the ship?? The port (Santo Domingo-is it far from the airport?). Any good/clean/inexpensive hotels to stay in nearby? Also, how much does Royal Caribbean charge for tipping per person/day??? Any info would be appreciated!!! Thanks for all of your help!

This itinerary is being really pushed here in England - they are selling it either as a B2B or as a week cruise/week stay with a charter plane flying out specially for the cruise guests - and RCI are using a hotel called Sunscape Casa del Mar, which apparently is right on the beach and is a 1 1/2 hr tx from the port.

Archived