Cabo - Has anyone been fishing?

jd618

DH and I have heard that fishing is GREAT in Cabo. We'll be there in about 6 weeks. Has anyone been on this excursion? If yes, would you do it again? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated, as this is an expensive tour and we want to know if it is worth the $$. THANKS!!

We are sooooo looking forward to our next cruise . . .

Golden Princess April ’07 - 10 Mexican Riviera

Constellation Oct. ’06 – (8185 Cabin off back of ship) 11 Western Caribbean

Brilliance of the Seas April ’06 (9258 Cabin off back of ship) - 10 Panama Canal

Jewel of the Seas Oct. ’05 – 10 Bermuda and Caribbean

Dawn Princess March '05 – 10 Western Caribbean

Caribbean Princess '04 (C752 Cabin off back of ship) – 7 Eastern Caribbean

Island Princess '03 – 10 Panama Canal

Star Princess '03 – 7 Mexican Riviera

Grand Princess '02 - 7 Western Caribbean

Enchantment of the Seas '98 - 7 Eastern Caribbean

I went fishing out of Matzalan. As you are aware, fishing is a "no gaurantee" event. Out of 8 boats that went out our boat with 3 of us fishing was the only one that had everyone fishing catch a marlin. We each caught two, but did not keep them. It was expensive but the weather was wonderful and was a great day. Let me know how Carbo is as I have thought about going out of there.

I have fished Cabo many many times...its a GREAT place to catch some fish. However, keep in mind your going at an off time for marlin. There may be a few around, just don't expect that your going to catch one 100%. They do have other great fish to catch there as well, and a good Dorado or tuna is exciting.

So the real question is... is it worth the money??? Well, thats up to you... I take in mind whenever I go fishing I am NOT going to catch anything, and then when I do it makes up for it all. it can be an expensive boat ride.

But then let me tell you about the day when I was there and had 2 stripped Marlin, 1 blue (450#) and 3 Dorado... Now thats FISHING!!!

Have fun no matter what!!! and if the fish don't bite, well then bite them back and eat some fish tacos.

We're going in April too. We decided to charter a fishing boat ourselves for a more private tour. It was around $400 to charter a boat for the day (up to 4 people). I'm keeping my lures crossed that we'll catch something that isn't contageous! :eek:

Arleen :D

• 3 weeks later...
Have fun no matter what!!! and if the fish don't bite, well then bite them back and eat some fish tacos.

Thanks for the GREAT advise. We'll give it a try and have lots of fun!

I second the Elbudster tip

El Budster does a good job: http://www.elbudster.com/index.asp But it will cost you more to sign up on-line that if you show up and wheel and deal ($350 opposed to $425). They have a booth very close to cruise pier (come off pier, go to right, go down about 150 feet, look for stand on left “El Budster, Salvador’s Sportfishing”). My contact is Mike Sandoval, cell phone 044-624-14-17167, cheaper if you call and bypass middle man. El Budster 1 has Salvador as captain, his boat caught the world record Dorado.

I like Quien Sabe out of Roberto’s Sportfishing http://www.robertossportfishing.com/quiensabe.html They always finds fish and work the marlin thing real well...but they are on other side of marina

Anamar is good, don’t have their number with me http://www.jigstop.com/cabo-san-lucas.php they are also on other side of marina

Filleting depends on what you catch…if you catch a lot they might send you to the cleaning shack, catch some and they may clean for a little extra tip, depends on crew. I don’t know about freezing and shipping back, I always fly in with cooler and baggies, do poor man’s vacuum pack in hotel sink, have hotel use their deep freeze (free), and drag my own fillets back in the cooler.

Catch and release is more prevalent now, think they still allow 1 keeper in Cabo (in Loreto it depends on guide service…).

I agree with Jackie... except for one part...

As far as I know, there is no bring back the catch to the ship... Its fine if your staying in Cabo and can throw the catch in the freezer.... but on a ship, it isn't likely they will preserve your catch...or cook it.

HOWEVER!!! there is something that you can do... IF you do get a dorado or a tuna... have that fillet and take it to the Shrimp House (or any cantina for that matter) and for a small price they will cook up the catch and server it with rice, beans and tortillas... nothing better then eating your own catch and drinking a cerveza to wash it down.

Agree - you will need to get your fish smoked and sent home and/or frozen and fedexed etc - there is no bringing your catch back via the cruise ship

alot of the restaurants will cook the catch - or you can give it to the boat captain/crew

maybe just catch and release a marlin or snag a giant calamari and have that while you are there - fun to catch and tasty to eat - easy to clean

The pelicans back at the marina love it when you clean the catch back there - the crew toss carcasses into the back of a truck bed to haul off, and the pelicans come by and eat them, wild!

have fun! tight lines!

ahhh yes, hanging out at El Squid Roe, "running with the bulls" and proudly wearing my bull horns that I had won, cleverly made out of paper towels by one of the staff

hanging upside down at Giggling Marlin wouldnt be so bad either

meet me at the swim up bar! :D

Beagle... ODDS are pretty slim for that time of year... the water, although we think is warm for the fishes its cold and they move even further south for the winter. If your around Ixtapa, the odds would be much better.

During January, the water become a murkish and green, rather then the deep warm blue of the summer time. August, Sept and Oct are the very best time of the year for fishing, however its also hurricane time.... I know, I was there 2 years ago in Sept and got caught in one.

Archived