Best Kauai Excursion?

hawaii13

We are going on POH very soon. We have excursions for all of the islands except Kauai. We are there overnight so we will rent a car. What is the best thing to do on Kauai? We have nothing planned yet and are at a loss as to what to do..

Hi Cindy - we really wanted to do a helicopter tour. Now with that recent crash we are a little nervous. We hear its beautiful and the highlight of the trip. Has anyone taken an ATV with Kipu Ranch Adventures?

Depending on what time your ship leaves on the second day, you might like to try the Na Pali coast by boat. Blue Dolphin has a great cruise, 7.5 hours, but it leaves at 7am, so you have to check in about 6:15 in Port Allen. That's about an hour from Nawiliwili. Great day with great snorkelling off Niihau.

Depending on what time your ship leaves on the second day, you might like to try the Na Pali coast by boat. Blue Dolphin has a great cruise, 7.5 hours, but it leaves at 7am, so you have to check in about 6:15 in Port Allen. That's about an hour from Nawiliwili. Great day with great snorkelling off Niihau.

They're on PoH, so the Na Pali boat tour wouldn't work for their second day. It's too bad it won't work for either day because that sounds wonderful.

Waimea Canyon is good. A drive up to Ke'e and the whole east and north area makes a good day. There are several good beaches and bays (some of which are in movies and such). Poipu and Spouting Horn are good for an early second day. You can always walk over to Kalapaki Beach (it fronts the Marriott) because it's pretty much the only beach within walking distance of the ship. That might be a good place to spend your second morning and without having to worry about making it back to the ship on time because it's so close.

Certainly a helicopter ride could be a good choice. Go with one, such as Blue Hawaiian, with an excellent reputation and safety record. (I'd give this advice regardless of any current news events.)

beachchick

Thank you for the responses. We are considering seeing it by air either by helicopter or the plane trip that was mentioned.

Beachchick- do you know how much a glass of wine is on board? I asked on another message board but didnt get any replies. I was just curious as we are trying to plan out our week...

My personal vote goes to the the helicopter tour! We did it during our Island Princess cruise last month (it was with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters).

Outstanding!

- Cindy

Cindy, do you know if Princess uses any other company for their Kauai tours? We have a helicopter tour planned on Kauai while we are on the Island Princess and feel very secure with Blue Hawaiian and their safety record. I would tend to keep the reservations if I was sure it was with Blue Hawaiian but might re-think it if Princess used someone else after the last two accidents. Thanks

Greg

If you're on POH - you'll get an *awesome* drive-by of the Na Pali coastline on the second day in Kauai. Kick back on the Aloha Nui deck early with a cool beverage and just wait for it. We watched whales play along side and behind the ship on the way - it was great!

If you're adventurous, *definitely* do the Mudbug & waterfall thing - WAY fun and memorable. Don't wear anything you love though, the mud gets *everywhere* and is hard to get out - just a little tip from my boys. :D

Waimea Canyon IS breathtaking - rent a car though, because there's lots to see on the way. Check out "Glass Beach"... very cool. Be very aware that Thrifty will pick you up and rent you a car, but if you return it after 8pm... they will NOT take you back to the ship. (they will, however, call you a cab, at your expense, to take you back)

We drove up to Hanalei Bay and took surfing lessons - *great* place to learn and a quirky little surf town. Only takes about an hour up there, so you can easily do both Waimea and Hanalei Bay in the same day - even though they're in completely opposite directions. :)

Have fun!!

We have a helicopter tour planned on Kauai while we are on the Island Princess and feel very secure with Blue Hawaiian and their safety record. I would tend to keep the reservations if I was sure it was with Blue Hawaiian but might re-think it if Princess used someone else after the last two accidents. Thanks

Greg

My husband and father did the helicopter thing this week - they went on Inter-Island and LOVED it, mostly because they fly with the doors OFF... and for a pilot and a photographer, this was heaven. :)

Two accidents in a week, on two different companies, seems a little intense... and would make me think twice about going up, for sure. Interestingly enough, the helicopter and pilot that my family went up on with on Saturday afternoon is the *exact* same helicopter/pilot that crashed on Sunday afternoon. Yikes. :eek:

That said... they said it was the highlight of their trip. The best. Ever.

Cindy, do you know if Princess uses any other company for their Kauai tours? We have a helicopter tour planned on Kauai while we are on the Island Princess and feel very secure with Blue Hawaiian and their safety record. I would tend to keep the reservations if I was sure it was with Blue Hawaiian but might re-think it if Princess used someone else after the last two accidents. Thanks

Greg

Hi Greg,

When I talked to the tour desk on the ship I specifically asked what helicopter company they use, they said Blue Hawaiian because of their safety record. So I think it's probably the only company they use.

We had Capt. Morley as our pilot and our flight was just the most awesome experience we've ever had - it is very hard to describe to someone until they see it for themselves. Enjoy!

- Cindy

We just came back from the Pride of America, and I would have to also recommend the Helicopter Tour! It was absoultely breathtaking! We also did a Kauai Canopy Zipline Tour. Lots of fun! This is done by BackCountry Zipline Adventures. Check it out. http://www.kauaibackcountry.com/. I know that the recent helicopter crashes have made some people think twice, but I have to tell you it was the highlight of our trip.

Thank you for the responses. We are considering seeing it by air either by helicopter or the plane trip that was mentioned.

Beachchick- do you know how much a glass of wine is on board? I asked on another message board but didnt get any replies. I was just curious as we are trying to plan out our week...

The wines by the glass range in price from about $6 to more than $15, so I can't give you a "basic" price. Even the wines of the day by the glass had wildly varied prices. IMO, decent wines that are by the glass are going to start at about $9, but I'm a bit of a wine snob because we live in one of CA's premier wine regions and are totally spoiled.;)

beachchick

Cruised Pride of America last week. Didn't get to see Waimea Canyon, although we drove up there, due to dense fog and rain, spent enjoyable time at Kauia coffee plantation. (Only fair, since we'd visited two during stop in Kona.) Our other daytrip choice was the Jungle Mountain Trek, which focused more on swimming in waterfalls and hiking than ziplining, which surprised nearly everyone in our group. Ask the customer service rep before booking how many ziplines will be ridden, know one involved three lines, not sure about the other.

Cruised Pride of America last week. Didn't get to see Waimea Canyon, although we drove up there, due to dense fog and rain, spent enjoyable time at Kauia coffee plantation. (Only fair, since we'd visited two during stop in Kona.) Our other daytrip choice was the Jungle Mountain Trek, which focused more on swimming in waterfalls and hiking than ziplining, which surprised nearly everyone in our group. Ask the customer service rep before booking how many ziplines will be ridden, know one involved three lines, not sure about the other.

I know that the Kauai Canopy Zipline Tour done by Back Country Zipline Adventures has 7 ziplines. We just did it during our cruise on February 24th.

Just got back from our cruise and it was great. In Kauai we did the 1 hour airplane trip with airadventures just like "lambs2" did. Thought it was great, we got lots of great pictures. Billy (Billy is a pilot for a major airline too and has been for a real long time)and Donna (his wife who have both lived on the Island all their lives) are great to deal with and it was only $99 pp plus a $5 gas fee. They just got a new plane too. They have 2 or 3 pilots that fly for them. I beleive we had Joel. You just get off the boat and walk up to the aloha center and Donna has a booth right in the door, so u check in with her and then Billy or one of them picks you up and takes you to the little airport and then they bring you back or drop you off here you want pretty much. Tell them Brenda sent you! LOL:)

We did a rental car and Waimea Canyon the first day and a helicopter ride the second with Air Kauai. I would suggest trying to do the land part the first day (to get the wow factor) and then the helicopter the second to see what you couldnt see the first day from the road.

Just got back and Kauai was our favorite island. The first day we did the Hollywood Movie tour- got recomendations from this board and it lived up to expectations. Good way to see part of the island and very well informed guide with lots of inside info. Coco Palms was worth the trip. On the van, they showed clips from Blue Hawaii which really added to the impact of seeing the deserted hotel.

The next day we took an hour long helicopter ride with Safari. I have to admit we knew about first crash but not the second before we went. Might have cancelled but glad we had the experience- it was fantastic- like being in an IMAX film. We ordered the DVD and can't wait to relive it.

I know that the Kauai Canopy Zipline Tour done by Back Country Zipline Adventures has 7 ziplines. We just did it during our cruise on February 24th.

Can you give some more info on this? We are thinking of doing this in July with our 14 year old son. Did you like this? Let me know if there was anything you didn't like.

The Princeville Zipline sounds good, but if I book the Backcountry one, we can also do the tubing on the same day.

Does anyone know what NCL does if you take their Waimea Canyon exursion and it is too foggy/wet to see anything at Waimea Canyon? If you have already paid and cannot do the excursion, will they take you somewhere else or do you simply lose your money?

Do you know how common this foggy/wet weather is there?

Thx!

After my tour with air advenrures I will have four hours left. Has any one been to the Poipu Beach Park and what's the best way to get there from Nawiliwili?

Thanks,

Jay

You'll need to drive from Nawiliwili. It's about 30 minutes by car. So, you could do that, but you wouldn't have much beach time because you have to factor in renting and returning the car. I suggest Kalapaki Beach in front of the Kauai Marriott. It's a short walk from the pier. It's not Poipu, but it is nice--and convenient.

beachchick

Archived