Tahiti excursion question

ski3bee

:confused: Ok, We have been reading over the excursions offered on our upcoming Tahiti Cruise. There are several "pearl" excursions on different islands. Which was the most interesting offered the best selection of pearls.

If you thought it was wasted time even going on one of these excursions I would be interested hear about it.

Thanks,

SKI

We did the pearl excursion on Rangiroa and found it to be absolutely fascinating. There isn't much else to do on that island, that's why we chose to do that one. Of course, this would be interesting only if you are interested in pearls and how they are cultvated. You can really gain an appreciation for their high price when you actually learn how much time and labor is involved with the black pearl. After a lot of shopping, especially in Moorea where there are some very nice pearl shops, I actually purchased a lovely black pearl on board PG in the boutique. There was a gal there on board who was so knowledgable, nice and helpful. Learn all you can before you purchase - how they are graded etc. Have fun, I certainly did, wear my pearl almost every day.

I have heard Sibani is the vendor on the PG now. We bought a beautiful bracelette from their store on Bora Bora. We did not go on a pearl farm tour, but hope to stop at one in Cook Islands, Raratonga, this year.

We did buy some loose pearls from the locals on Motu Monday. We had a necklace made from one that our daughter wears everyday.

Also there are some great vendors on the dock in Moorea. Some use natural materials instead of gold, so they are less expensive, but still very nice.

It sure is fun to shop and look at all the pearls.

Martha

We did not go on a pearl farm excursion on the PG because we had been on one previously in Australia (not black pearls, of course). It is interesting--but if you are going just to purchase pearls, I think you can get a good price on board. I bought my black pearl earrings two years ago on the PG and was quite happy with them and the price I paid. One evening they have a champagne reception at the shop on board and everyone is very knowledgeable. There was a thread about this a while back, and someone posted that the shop on the PG is owned by one of the best shops in Tahiti.

Interesting. The onboard vendor used to be Tahia Collins (aka Black Pearl Gem Company). They were very good, and I bought a lovely solitaire there last time. Unless you're going out to the Tuomotus, I don't think the pearl trip would be worth it, although I could be wrong. But if you're out there, it can be very interesting (this is where the pearls mainly come from.) Both BB and Moorea have a string of stores, the above-mentioned store has a shuttle from the dock at Moorea, and I was very impressed with their selection.

According to the Tahia Collins website, that company CONTINUES to operate the pearl boutique on the PG ... http://www.tahiacollins.com/boutiques.php?dest=Our%20Boutiques. We shopped and learned onboard last March, then purchased pearls from the larger selection at the Tahia Collins store on Moorea. The pearls were delivered at the onboard reception that was hosted by Tahia Collins herself .... a wonderful shopping and buying experience! The Tahia Collins store in Papeete is directly across from the dock, so, if you have time before you board, do some initial shopping/learning in Papeete.

Archived