White shoes before Easter?

scm5g

Here's a silly question: If you are someone who does not wear white shoes before Easter (or Memorial Day) on land, would you wear them at sea? I am thinking of taking mine on a cruise next week, but not sure. Since it's a cruise to a tropical climate, I thought I could get away with it. What do you think?

If you were speaking of a Caribbean cruise, you may wear white all year long and you will see many women wearing white. I lived in Venezuela eight years. There is no "color code" in the region related to dates of the year. The tropics are tropical all year long.

Arbitrary dates to delineate clothing and shoe color just don't exist there. Also, there are no Memorial Days or Labor Days in Caribbean countries anyway. Well, some have a Labor Day, but is most often the first of May. It still is never used to dictate shoe color.

Since it's a cruise to a tropical climate, I thought I could get away with it. What do you think?

You don't need to "get away" with anything.

You're going to a tropical climate where it's summer all year long, therefore summer clothes, like whites, linens, cottons, tropical colors are what's supposed to be worn.

Bring your white shoes and enjoy!

The Easter/Labor Day rule is for northern climates (and a few southern states).

I never realize how much my grandmother teachings had such a hold on me!! I know that fashion rules are much relaxed today than in the past, but I just can't wear white shoes,dress,etc before Easter.

The same goes for drinking beer right out the bottle. My grandmother says it's trampy for a lady to drink beer out of the bottle, only in a glass.

I never realize how much my grandmother teachings had such a hold on me!! I know that fashion rules are much relaxed today than in the past, but I just can't wear white shoes,dress,etc before Easter.

The same goes for drinking beer right out the bottle. My grandmother says it's trampy for a lady to drink beer out of the bottle, only in a glass.

I love and hold on tight to those old Southern traditions, so much so that I won't wear white shoes at all (except for the occasional tennis shoe) and I won't even drink beer:D!

I love and hold on tight to those old Southern traditions, so much so that I won't wear white shoes at all (except for the occasional tennis shoe) and I won't even drink beer:D!

I won't wear white shoes either..lol..no thank you! I don't think bad of people who do, just not for me...:cool:

Guest kookylabooka

No reason not to.That is an old,outdated "rule" which is no longer valid unless you like living in the past and not the present.

I don't like white shoes and consequently don't wear them, before or after Easter (if I were to wear them, I would wait until after Easter--I don't care if you think I'm anachronistic) They remind me of the nurses' uniform my mother had to wear when I was a child:o

However, in the Caribbean, if you are wearing summery clothing, I think they would be appropriate if it is your style to wear them and they go with your outfit;)

White shoes should never be worn by anyone at any time of the year unless you're a nurse or playing tennis. Ditto for sandals. They're ugly, impossible to keep clean and sharp looking and they make your feet look enormous.

The only ones that I EVER see wearing white shoes in southern Florida, which to me is as good as the carribean, is tourists or visitors...and the same I notice in the Carribean.

I would be curious on Caviar girl's perspective because she lives near me...Menina

I live in South Florida all year long not as a tourist or snow bird. There are lots of white shoes available in the stores. Somebody buys them and wears them. I'm sure not only tourists buy them.

Dainty white strappy sandals don't look too bad. They flatter tan feet with cute nail polish. Not all whites are a glaring white. Not all white shoes are clunky.

I really dislike hard and fast rules about color and fashion. This isn't the eighteenth century. Those who look good in something should be able to wear it if the time is appropriate.

At 8 am this morning in Palm Beach it was hovering around 50-55 degrees which is cold for here, I didn't see anyone in church with white shoes on except our seasonal visitors to the congregation.

I've seen some white shoes too in the stores, but I am not convinced all the residents wear white. I just can't buy the argument..sorry! :)

I live in South Florida all year long not as a tourist or snow bird. There are lots of white shoes available in the stores. Somebody buys them and wears them. I'm sure not only tourists buy them.

Dainty white strappy sandals don't look too bad. They flatter tan feet with cute nail polish. Not all whites are a glaring white. Not all white shoes are clunky.

I really dislike hard and fast rules about color and fashion. This isn't the eighteenth century. Those who look good in something should be able to wear it if the time is appropriate.

At 8 am this morning in Palm Beach it was hovering around 50-55 degrees which is cold for here, I didn't see anyone in church with white shoes on except our seasonal visitors to the congregation.

I've seen some white shoes too in the stores, but I am not convinced all the residents wear white. I just can't buy the argument..sorry! :)

I didn't say ALL the residents wear white shoes. You also know that 55 degrees on March 15th is unusually cool for South Florida in mid-March. Most St Patrick's Days are hot and humid.

Furthermore, I see women here wearing pink sandals, green sandals, blue sandals, whatever, mush of the year. If they can do that, why can't they wear white sandals?

Here's another thing. Some above have talked about what their grandmothers told them about wearing white shoes and clothing after Memorial Day and not after Labor Day, etc. Who listens to their grandmother's fashion rules, for crying out loud? Fashion rules change so rapidly. I don't even ask my mother's fashion advice. I don't want to dress like my mother. My son's girlfriend doesn't want to dress like I do. (I'm 63; she is 29.)

But the OP didn't even ask about South Florida. She asked about the Caribbean. It is tropical all year long in the Caribbean.

Archived