Flip Flops are everywhere

nugrammy

I have paid more for some of my flip flops than my dress shoes. Are they ok with a skirt for the dining room....not formal night of course.:cool:

I think as long as they are not the rubber, plastic, or sloppy kind, they will be fine. Last year on the Dream I wore some nice dressy ones. For example, one pair was black leather with turquois (sp?) stones and rhinestones on them. I know what you mean by some flip flops are expensive!:eek: Also, if you wear them, you should have an nice pedicure and some clean feet!:D I think people get turned off when they see people wearing flip flops with grungy feet!:(

I personally don't care for them - hate the slap-slap sound they make when you walk. After you take the time to get all dressed up, it sort of spoils the look and mood when all someone hears is "slap-slap-slap-slap......."

If it's leather do you really consider it a flip flop? To me leather really says sandal whereas rubber says flip flop. I have some pretty leather sandals that happen to go between my toes that I would definitely wear on a casual night in the dining room with a skirt and pretty blouse or sweater.

A:D

In my opinion, if it's in the style of a flip-flop, it's a flip-flop no matter what it's made of....leather, rubber, sequins...lol.

I've actually never noticed anyone wearing them in the dining room, but I'm sure they wear them. I wouldn't.

Now, I would wear a high-heeled slip-on sandal for dinner. What do you think of that? :p

I agree that flip flops can be dressy, and really what is the difference between them and high heeled sandals that just have a band across the toes. Nothing really.

I have flip flops that definately nicer then some sandals I 've seen others wear.

If it's leather do you really consider it a flip flop? To me leather really says sandal whereas rubber says flip flop. I have some pretty leather sandals that happen to go between my toes that I would definitely wear on a casual night in the dining room with a skirt and pretty blouse or sweater.

I'm guessing OP is referring to this style?? AE Chunky Braid Flip Flop

I agree that flip flops can be dressy, and really what is the difference between them and high heeled sandals that just have a band across the toes. Nothing really.

I have flip flops that definately nicer then some sandals I 've seen others wear.

I disagree! I live in FL and wear flip flops often but not interchangeably with sandals. I have quite a few pair of mid and high heeled sandals that are definitely dressy and those are what I wear to dinner or out. My low heeled and flat sandals are also a definite step up.

As for the ones Karen posted, IMO they are best left for beach, port, poolside and daytime casual wear.

This discussion makes me wonder if some are talking about the ones that have a heel to them (or wedge)? I think most are way to casual, even for casual nights, but I can think of a pair in my closet that are definitely not casual (and I don't mean glitter or sequins).

Flip flops to me means flat thong type shoe that you would wear with shorts, bathing suit, summer casual dress (leather or plastic or whatever). I just bought a pair of thong type black shoes with a heel and sequence on them to wear with my black velvet dress for formal night - they look good and I just hated the thought of having to wear nylons. I can't wear a closed in dress shoe without nylons as I find it too uncomfortable. I agree with a previous post - we are lucky to have feet and we should just wear what is comfortable for you and enjoy the cruise!

Hi all

I guess I should have been more clear...is it a flip flop if it's leather and has NO rubber bottom? My leather sandals have a wooden bottom with a small heel. I also favor sandals that go between the toes with a leather kitten heal. I guess if people listened real close that might here me clomp just a bit but on casual night I think a dressy sandal in the flip flop style (between toes, no back) is fine.

I think many flip flops are dressy now days and are more like dressy sandals. I think if they look good with the outfit and doesnt dress down the outfit then they are good enough. I have several dressy pairs from jcpennys (cheap mind you) that i wear to church every week and they are dressy enough with my dresses.... so i say if i can wear them to church, they are good enough for dinner.;)

Amen, if they are good enough for God they ARE good enough for dinner! LOL

I think most of us agree there are "flipflops" that are very dressy, and classy, and in no way resemble anything you would wear to the beach or pool area... they are basically sandals with a part between the toes, but can be made of any material except rubber , wood or plastic.

Anyways, I really dislike the sound of ladies high heels CLICKING along on floors, but hey that is MY problem and certainly in no way would I ever think that someone shouldn't wear those type of heels and call attention to themselves with their click clicks, I mean how busy body does a person have to be to really care about which STYLE of shoe is worn as long as it is a PRETTY shoe, may not be YOUR taste is all.

I sure hope the ladies who have to wear orthopedic shoes don't get any dirty looks from the shoe fashion police, because that is mean. I mean its not like they wear a sign saying " please don't hate me because my shoes are ugly I can't wear really stylish shoes" LOL

Maybe I am misreading what some are saying here, but I seem to sense some are saying a shoe isn't dressy enough for the dining room unless it has at least a kitten heel. I don't agree with that at all. Nordstrom's and Bloomingdale's have lovely flat shoes that are suitable for the dining room whether or not they are open, have a strap between the toes, have an ankle strap or whatever.

I can't wear heels having had a tough year in which I tore the same tendon in one ankle two times, six months a part. So I have made it my business to find attractive flats for the dining room and I have seen pretty and expensive flip flops too. Maybe if they are expensive, they aren't truly flip flops. Maybe when they are sixty dollars and up, they are "sandals."

Archived