What shore excursions to take?

travgurl

Trying to decide on what shore excursions. Any recommendations of what to do in Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Nassau? Also, do you recommend booking through Carnival and or Shore Trips? I like some of the excursions that Shore Trips offer but leary of booking with them for fear I would not get back in time. First time cruisers. Thanks

Don't worry about missing the ship, it's a chance you take no matter what shore excursions you might take, even those chartered through the cruise line. So just plan for the best one and remember that these people don't want a reputation for making people miss their ship.

We were just in Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel.

Belize, if you want a relaxing trip through some BEAUTIFUL caves go cave tubing with Yhonni at cave-tubing.com. We did two cave complexes with them instead of the one you do with the ship tour, paid less, and instead of going solo you get one guide per about 10 people in a "chain" of tubes. No work, lots of relaxation.

Costa Maya, we did the ruins tour with David & Ivan with the "extreme" option. A very enjoyable tour with lots of local information in addition to the ruins (if someone asks if you want pineapple just say YES). The extreme part claims that there is a walk but the van we were in pulled up right to the edge of the water at the place you get lunch. Laguna Azul isn't much of a "resort" but the water was fantastic, clear down to about 15 feet.

In Costa make sure you get back to your ship on time and don't dawdle in the pier area. The Miracle was the first to pull out and as soon as we started moving several people decided the needed to RUN down the pier. Lucky for them the Valor was kind enough to give them a ride to catch up with us.

Cozumel, didn't do any excursions here but did go to Coconuts on the far side of the island. Great place to relax, have a few drinks, and something to eat on the highest point on Coz. Just don't bring the kids, it may look like a normal place but the bras and underwear are a clue about how wild it can get with or without children present. And they are closed after dark....

Hope this helps!

We prefer researching places and going on our own to booking ship's excursions.

Nassau is the one exception to this rule. Absolutely make your plans before you get there. The only way we would enjoy this port is via an excursion to take us away from the unending overy-touristy shops. Just how many perfume, jewelry, and Del Sol shops can you see before it all blends into one?

In Belize we snorkeled with sharks and rays, and I recommend it. The folks who cave tubed (40 cruisecritic folks were at our initial sail-away party, and we hosted another one for the Belize sail-away) were all exhausted, but they loved it. You can also go on your own and take a ferry to Caye Caulker, a very unspoiled island. We went there on our snorkel trip. Next time we'd head over there via ferry or cave tube.

In Cozumel we've gone scuba diving, rented a jeep and explored the island, and done a beach day at Paradise Beach followed by shopping. It was all good.

If you want to experience a more authentic Mexico than the touristy Cozumel, Costa Maya is the port. At least I hope it has not been spoiled by tourism. In Costa Maya we walked past the touristy flea market and into town where only a few cruise passengers were venturing, yet there was nothing that felt unsafe about it (no beggars, pickpockets, etc). We shopped in stores where clerks couldn't speak English. We went into a meat market where the fish and meat were butchered right in front of us (not gross) and a produce market (great photo op - beautiful colors, unusual offerings). The highlight was stopping at a little tortilla place (no tourists), and the owner came out and took our kids and us back to show us how they were made. He explained in Espanol, and my husband translated. We didn't really need to know any of the words to understand what he was conveying. Then he pulled out fresh tortillas for us to taste and gave us a couple of packages (but we insisted he take payment). His pride in his business, and his delight in sharing his livlihood and culture with our kids was something we will never forget.

You can find more info on the ports of call boards. Good Luck!

I know this isn't the popular answer but...I always book thru Carnival. I'm not much for taking risks, especially when I'm not familiar with where I'm at so I feel more secure on an excursion I booked thru the ship. And yes it does cost a little more but for me it's worth it.

We just got back from Cozumel and Costa Maya, our second visit to each. Our first trip to Costa Maya we visited the ruins and it was just wonderful! If you care anything at all about history then I'd suggest this tour. It's about an hours drive from the port and while enroute you get to see (from the bus) some of the homes and how the people actually live. The ruins are very interesting and offer some great photo ops. On our last visit we went to Majahaul. It was the best part of our trip. Very relaxing and we would definitely do it again. You take a bus there and a taxi back or you can rent golf carts. It's only a few minutes from port but feels like it's a million miles away. If you go be sure to check out The Cat's Meow! The owner's are great and the food is even better!

Cozumel is nice but much more commercial. On both visits we did the Sub Ocean View. It was a great choice for us, it gives you the opportunity to see the fish and the reefs without all the adventure. :) Our first trip we did the Mexican Folkloric Show and Shopping. We loved the show, lots of singing and dancing and tells the history of Mexico. It included the taxi ride to and from the port plus a drink at a very nice lounge with a spectacular view of the water. We felt the price was reasonable for what we got but this was definitely low key and not for everyone. Our last visit we had lunch at Poncho's Backyard (the one in town not at the port) and ended up at Carlos and Charlie's and Senior Frog's. I'd recommend all three places to almost anyone.

We were in Nassau last year and honestly don't care to go back. If you are a beach person it's probably great but aside from that I don't have any recommendations. We did the Historical Highlights Tour and if we ever go again would probably check out Atlantis.

I guess you can tell we're history buffs and don't care much for the beach so you're idea of fun may be totally different than ours. Hope this info helps a little at least. Have fun and enjoy your cruise!

Trying to decide on what shore excursions. Any recommendations of what to do in Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Nassau? Also, do you recommend booking through Carnival and or Shore Trips? I like some of the excursions that Shore Trips offer but leary of booking with them for fear I would not get back in time. First time cruisers. Thanks

tequila beach in costa maya, nachi beach in cozumel, look into it you'll love it, haven't been but I have fallen for the place! Belize, cave tubing or zipling (if that is what you'd like to do!) ... we are not hitting Nassau :(

Whatever you chose ... have a great time!!!

Archived