La Bombonera tell me more!

cindygad

Actually if you do a web search " La Bombonera San Juan " lots of stuff will come up....including reviews, address etc.

We had breakfast there one morning (wish we had eaten there both mornings we were in San Juan) as it was only a short walk from El Convento.

It is a thin long diner/bakery that has been in business since 1902 :eek: and many local San Juaners eat there. The whole front window is filled with fresh baked pastries every morning so good luck making a choice. We had four adults and each one got a couple and then we shared. Also have mallorcas which are heavenly !!! I had a ham and cheese and they put powdered sugar on top..... wish I could have brought a suitcase full of em back with me.

They have regular stuff too - eggs, bacon etc etc. Also serve lunch and hear it is good too - real p.r. food.

don't expect fancy - just clean, fast GOOD food. All four of us ate for like $16.00 total ....which is cheap for San Juan - believe me !

I read on other posts that La Bombonera can get crowded for Breakfast.

My plane lands at 9AM. My plan is to take a cab from the airport to the Intercontinental, drop off my bags there and then head over to Old San Juan. Does the crowd thin out by 10:30AM? Do they still have a decent supply of bread and pastries before the lunch crowd?

We are coming in on a Tuesday. Is mid week better?

FX

I grew up in Puerto Rico and enjoyed going to Old San Juan with my mom for shopping and lunch at La Bombonera. My mom also grew up going there to eat. The pastries are baked throughout the day. Definitely buy a mayorca. They are fabulous and no one makes them like they do. The mayorca sandwich mentioned can be ordered at any time of the day. As far as the time, 10:30 should be a good time to go. However, as far as I am concerned, any time is a good time to go :)

I have to agree the mallorcas are great and so are the prices. We had trouble finding the restaurant because everyone told us to go two blocks and turn right, no matter where we were. Luck led us there. We will return there this Dec. when we are in Old San Juan.

Thanks for the info. Acromom are the menus all in Spanish or English also?

Good question. I would assume that because it is located in such a high tourist area, the menu will probably be in both Spanish and English. However, most locals speak English. I am sure someone from the staff would be happy to help you out.

Archived