Insurance and a Hurricane

texasnana

I am checking many insurance and do they cover if you are cancled due to a hurricane? what if you have a hurricane during the cruise?? I am looking now at either Sept in the gulf or Jan ..I know there are not hurricanes inJan so that is safe....

I would like to know if i am covered??

Generally speaking, if the cruiseline cancels the cruise due to a hurricane, they compensate you with a refund and future cruise discount.

If you are unable to reach the cruise due to a hurricane, that falls under the trip interruption/travel delay caused by weather. Each policy is different, but most have a minimum delay time and different coverage amounts. Delay is different than you choosing to cancel; and you must make an effort to join the cruise. See here for a good discussion of what is and is not covered:

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/3/bad-weather.shtml

If the cruise detours because of a hurricane, again, usually the cruiseline will offer direct compensation or travel arrangements. If they didn't, your trip interruption/travel delay would again apply.

If the cruise detours because of a hurricane, again, usually the cruiseline will offer direct compensation or travel arrangements. If they didn't, your trip interruption/travel delay would again apply.

I would expect if the detour consists of rearranged ports (ie sailing north to avoid weather in the south) but the trip terminates at the same port, then whatever the line offers is all one would expect.

If the disembarkation port is different resulting in changed flight arrangements (and added cost) then the comments would apply. Likewise, I would expect the same if the cruise is terminated early.

Chase--Yes, that IS what I meant, thanks for clarifying for me. 'Detour' was only intended to mean different embark/disembark ports. The most any line gives you for a missed/detoured interim port stop is a refund of port fees, generally only $20 or so. And no insurance covers that kind of detour under trip interruption/delay.

Archived