Junta (sp?) taxis

cruisemeister8

Can somebody tell me more about these Junta (sp?) taxis in Ocho Rios?

I've heard of them briefly, as an option to ride to the Falls, but are they reliable?

Are they really located "right off the ship?" And are they really inexpensive?

Do you need a reservation, or do you just buy a ride when you get to the pier?

And after you get to the Falls, how do you get back? Do these taxis run like an intermittent shuttle service, or is it a set time that they'll come get you?

Please shed some more light on the subject of "How to get to the falls as cheaply as possible!" ha ha.

Pleased be advised that the Jamaica Tourist Board certifies the following Companies Juta Tours ,Maxi Tours and Jcal tours to provide ground Transportation from the Cruise Ports .

I should also mention that these vehicles are available at the Docks upon arrival ,your driver will establish your pick up time from the Falls , Please ensure that you retain your receipts after they are dispatched from the Docks as this contains relevant information about your Driver.

It's JUTA (Jamaica Union of Travellers Association). :) The regulated cabs in Jamaica have a red Public Passenger Vehicle plate. You don't want to get in any taxi that doesn't! Make sure you agree on the rate before getting in the cab, and confirm whether it's round-trip or one-way.

I'd never heard of getting a receipt w/the drivers info till Lion mentioned it above. Good information!

We had a ship's tour in the morning and just hired the driver to take us to the Falls. She even went into the park with us (she didn't have to pay) and introduced us to some of her friends. It was a friendly hassle-free experience. She showed us the exit that doesn't go past the vendors. We wanted to do some shopping, and that was also a lot of fun. The vendors weren't nearly as aggressive as I'd seen them described. After introducing us to her friends, the driver waited for us in the parking lot, and told us to be sure to take our time and enjoy. Muriel was great -- she really looked after us.

If you search the board, you might find recommendations for drivers. I know folks post them every once in a while.

I've only been to Jamaica once, and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to going back in November. This time we'll be docking in Mo' Bay rather than Ocho Rios. I'm thinking shopping and Sunset Beach. :cool:

thanks for the clarification on the JUTA :eek: taxi's!

All things considered, we decided not to be that 'free and independent' as to go somewhere in the middle of the Caribbean without a reservation of some sort.

So we decided to go with Peat Taylor. From all these boards have said, we trust that he's a great tour. At least he'll give us the security of having a reserved tour for the day; yet we'll still be in a small, independent group versus the huge ship tours which all of you so strongly discredit.

Thanks, everyone, for all the advice I've picked up from these boards (reading and posting). Just think, at the time we took the plunge and "just booked it," we knew nothing about cruising, short of the fact that it's a floating resort. We would have just taken the ship excusions, assuming that that's what you're supposed to do. Now just imagine, newbies doing the unconventional excursions that veterans do! Just amazing!

Archived