Car Rental in Dunedin???

Brookeh424

Many suggested checking into car rental in Dunedin. I have and the quote was:

WE CAN OFFER YOU AT CAT TO AND FROM YOUR PORT @$59.00 FOR THE DAY PLUS 2

LOTS TRANSFERS OF $25.00 EACH WAY DUE TO THE DISTANCE TO AND FROM DN

CITY....SO TOTAL FOR THE DAY UNLIMITED WILL BE $109.00 INC GST....

So, my question is....if they charge $25 each way to Port Chalmers, would it be better to use the Princess transfer buses (I am thinking they will be at least a little less expensive) and then just pick the car up ourselves in Dunedin city.

Thoughts??

Also, we are from Virginia, US. I have seen some posts about insurance being an issue. Any input on this is also appreciated.

Oh, I must admit I didn't totally understand their reply, so I am guessing on some of the meaning....My interpretation was the car is $59 a day and the transfers from Port Chalmers to the car rental agency in Dunedin are $25 each way....

that is what i read also. It is a public holiday so they are only open half day (this is what we were told) and cannot have staff driving cars around. I am sure it is about 30 mins each way.

They were happy for us to leave the car at the docks though for a fee.

with 5 of us it will still be cheaper than princess transfers.

Not sure about getting there.

I was thinking of sending hubby alone to pick up car and then drive back to the ship to pick us up, but that would take another hour away from our short time in dunedin. we may just go on the transfer there.

karon

Thanks Karon.....

Ohh, so they are only open 1/2 a day....hmmm....I should e-mail them back and see if we can just pick it up in Dunedin City and then drop it off in Dunedin City. I think it will be cheaper for the 2 of us to just use the Princess transfers.

Do you think we could even play it by ear that day and see if we even want to rent a car?? (I know in the Med it was easy to just walk and rent a car/moped without prior reservations).

I think i have read that others have found it easy to get around as a lot of tourist sites are in the main centre. I am sure the information centre had a tour to lanach castle, but i wonder if it still would be cheaper to hire a car. I am also thinking about weather, MIL feels the cold a lot and to have the car would be a bonus.

But you guys are young ....

Still not sure about if you could get a car at short notice especially being a public holiday and a cruise ship in port, this is not a huge town like venice or rome, they could be in short supply

could you try and contact the information centre and confirm

karon

Archived