Birth certificate "lost" in the mail

It's hindsight for your situation, but this is why I have 3 "original copies" of my birth certificate - 2 longform (which on UK certificates show full details of parentage, including their occupations) and one shortform. That way, if I ever need to mail one, I've got three shots at the carrier getting it right. Well, 2 shots anyway...the last one I would definitely hand carry myself.

I wouldn't let the BC out of my hands again. The worst that will happen is he will have to wait for you to get on the ship or you will ahve to wait for him. Its not like he needs it before than. Stop making mountains out of molehills have him wait. You know once its shame on them if you do it twice and it gets lost again(never happend with Fed Ex?-right) its shame on you.

I'm not concerned about him having to wait for it. I'm concerned if our flight is so delayed and we have to fly to the next port and therefore he can't get on.

It's hindsight for your situation, but this is why I have 3 "original copies" of my birth certificate - 2 longform (which on UK certificates show full details of parentage, including their occupations) and one shortform. That way, if I ever need to mail one, I've got three shots at the carrier getting it right. Well, 2 shots anyway...the last one I would definitely hand carry myself.

you're right; as soon as I left i thought I should have ordered another and mailed it to him. But you have to understand i was nervous sending it anyway now. Myhusband discussed this in depth with someone from the PO and they said registered mail was the safest way; even above Fed Ex, etc.

Just as a note my son called and said the PO near him called him and said something about they may have found where it is and will redeliver it, but it might not be until tomorrow or the next day. So we're s till hoping and praying.:)

Just as a note my son called and said the PO near him called him and said something about they may have found where it is and will redeliver it, but it might not be until tomorrow or the next day. So we're s till hoping and praying.:)

That would be nice to have them find it! When I was reading, I was thinking about a mailroom job I had. Doubt it's the same in a BIG company, but I would stop at the PO every morning and pick up the mail bin. They would have torn off all the signature cards from the registered mail (I worked for an annuity company, so customers and out-of-area agents would send their applications and checks by registered), I'd sign them, and then take the mail. I'm not sure if I needed to match up the cards to the pieces of mail, so if I didn't (it was 10 years ago, forgive my lack of memory), it would likely be somewhat easy for the piece of mail to be left at the PO even though it was signed for.

Doubt his company has someone picking up the mail, but it could still be done if the signature slips were taken off by the PO personnel.

Anyway, you might be yawning right now, but I thought I'd put that out there as what might have happened!

Hope the mystery gets solved for you!!! And have a lovely cruise!

Zbayette: Are you saying that originally this article was signed for (assuming it was an employee at your sons work) and now the PO is going to redeliver the article? Register mail is the safest and most secure way to mail something. Each person that handles that piece has to sign off ( clerk to truck driver, the truck driver to the next person, etc.) it can be tracked by the PO as to every person that handled that piece until its destination. I don't want to elaborate on the specifics of the PO, but someone should be held accountable for this problem that you encountered. I am happy to hear you did get another one and hope you can enjoy your trip without any other problems.

Molly: Yes there are couriers ( people who pick up the mail for a business) such as colleges, corporate businesses, hospitals, etc. I had mentioned that earlier in my post , that it was possible the sons work has this type person who picks up their mail. A lot of times a company designates that courier to be able to sign for any type of mail (even if it is restricted to a certain person (president of the company, CEO, etc.) so there were many possibilities of what could of happened.

Just glad to hear things are looking up!! Have a safe, enjoyable Cruise!

Shirl ( the pm in my name is for Postmaster)

Archived