To TA or not to TA, and how to find a good one?

I know we are not allowed to advertise for TA's, etc. but I've got to ask about this. We are booked on our 5th cruise. We have booked directly through the cruiselines and once through Sam's Club. After reading many posts regarding prices and discounts, OBC's etc. I am wondering if we are wasting money and need to start booking through a TA. I would like any real world experience and comparisons that people have found in booking direct vs. T.A.

Also, if I decide to try a T.A., how do I find one that is good and reputable. I have also read a few horror stories about T.A.'s and have no idea how to find a good one. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Karla

Using the cruise line depends on which cruise line. RCL and Celebrity allow very little if any discounting by TA's. Other cruise line allow discounting and booking through a TA can same you $$$.

How to find a good one ? Good Luck. I have used many different ones. Anymore I just go with price. I don't expect anything from them, just book my cruise and request my dining preference. I always know exactly what I want.

You can start by checking out the TA's that advertise on this site. I have used a couple of them and they were ok.

Also, if I decide to try a T.A., how do I find one that is good and reputable. I have also read a few horror stories about T.A.'s and have no idea how to find a good one. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Get referrals from friends or family. Interview potential TA's like you would a doctor or a lawyer. Find out how long they have been in business as well as with their current employer (if they have one). Find out if they have any formal travel education. Ask if they have any advanced certifications or specializations. Ask how many cruise they have been on. A huge amount is not necessarily a good thing. If the TA works alone and goes on a cruise every month, will they be available when you need them? Ask them if they have an extra charges or fees for booking, changing or canceling a reservation. Are they a full service travel agency? Can they assist you in making air reservations away from the cruise line? Should you decide to do a land based vacation next time, can they do that for you or are they strictly cruise only? Working with a TA is more than just getting the rock bottom price, it is about service as well.

That should get you started.

• 2 weeks later...

The OP is right, many lines do not allow us as TAs to discount cruises but we can give shipboard credits that you usually don't get by going directly. Some agencies do this based on stateroom level or by dollars spent and credits can be as high as $500 or $600.

Like others have said, ask some key questions. Do they specialize in cruises or even better, a particular cruise line? As OP pointed out, what is there response time? I know we have a 12 hour by email but average about 3. While most things are not so time sensitive, it is nice not to wait 3 days for a response. Also, if you are using an online service, is there a phone number and what hours is it manned?

Good luck

Sandy

Check up top. Some of the TA's offer shipboard credit, BUT some are consolidators and offer HUGE discounts. One way that others on CC suggested was to book dirrect through the cruise line so you get the service and exactly what yu want and then tranfer the booking to an on-line TA who can save you money. If you move from the cruise line over to a TA there is no cancelation fee. I would only use a TA who had a toll free number and was part of a big company.

Archived