Opinions on these two cruises PLEASE

lynbrookgirl

Before I found this fantastic msg board (last week) we had made a reservation (fully refundable) for 6 of us. We're taking our 2 kids and their spouses (all in their late 20s) on a trip to Alaska for a one time family trip.

The dilemma - we reserved on the Summit ( VAN to ANC) for a 7 day cruise BEFORE we were aware of the ship's problem pods and the transfer from Seward to ANC being several hrs on train (at $65pp) not to mention long flight back to JFK from ANC (10 hr+ flights)

Last night we found a similar cruise on the Century - same dates. In and out of VAN. The difference onboard is that the summit does icy strait point and ends further North. Trip home to JFK under 5hrs.

Please give your opinions on these two choices total costs are about the same.

Many, many thanks for your wise input.

I think I'd try the Century if all things are pretty equal. Pricing, cabin, etc. As you stated you have now heard about the pod problems on Summit, I'd be very afraid of placing my money and vacation time on an M-Class ship known to have problems.

I found CC after I had booked the Constellation for my New England/Canada cruise, and when I came here and was reading about the Summit and Infinity, I prayed for a whole year that the Constellation stayed healthy. She did, and we had a lovely cruise. But a lot of worry and speculation to go through.

Until the announcement comes out that M-Class pods have been replaced or permanently fixed, I'll spend my cruise dollars elsewhere. Just my opinion, but there are a lot of alternatives out there. While the Century is still a Celebrity ship, it doesn't have the infamous pods.

A lot of folks have booked Summit and Infinity and had wonderful cruises, but if you are on one of the affected cruises, it could definitely ruin your cruise, or whole vacation.

Alaska (and her ports) are the prize on this cruise, and to knowingly take the risk of not making it to half the ports and glacier is more than I'd be willing to do.

Have a great cruise no matter what you decide.

lynbrookgirl,

I'd still go with the MERCURY. It's a beautiful Celebrity ship. She followed us on our Inside Passage HAL cruise. And again, I don't think she has the infamous "pods" issue. I believe that's only the M-Class (Infinity, Summit, Millennium, and Constellation).

Without consideration of the ships themselves, with no plans to tour interior Alaska, a round-trip cruise makes perfect sense. As you mention, flying from Anchorage means longer flights and transfers, and is generally more costly than a round trip flight.

The ports you'll visit on the round-trip offer many wonderful activity options. Hubbard Glacier vs. Glacier Bay has been debated here more than once, and each offers something unique to see. I don't think you'll be disappointed in Hubbard instead of Glacier Bay.

If budget is a consideration, check into flying Seattle (Sea-Tac) rather than Vancouver. Amtrak rail is a wonderful inexpensive transfer option Seattle to Vancouver, almost an excursion itself, but there are several other budget friendly transfers available. The train pretty much requires an overnight in Seattle, but I wouldn't choose to fly in the same day as cruise departure, anyway. Seattle has plenty to see and do if you end up with an afternoon there.

For many of us, that 'one time Alaska trip' turns into a 'once- (or even twice)-is- never-enough' trip!:)

Archived