Stuart Cove & Sharks - Attack?

Stavyg

Hey!

Maybe this is a silly question, but my DH and I are thinking about booking a snorkeling excursion with Stuart Cove. We're really excited about the shark part of it, but I'm also kind of scared! Apparently this risk of an attack is small, but (of course) they have you sign a release form. I guess I'm looking for some reassurance! :D From what I've read on here, Stuart Cove sounds like a great time!

Thanks!

Hey!

Maybe this is a silly question, but my DH and I are thinking about booking a snorkeling excursion with Stuart Cove. We're really excited about the shark part of it, but I'm also kind of scared! Apparently this risk of an attack is small, but (of course) they have you sign a release form. I guess I'm looking for some reassurance! :D From what I've read on here, Stuart Cove sounds like a great time!

Thanks!

Having the customers eaten by sharks really cuts into the repeat customer thing ... not a good business idea :p

Sure, you sign a release - you sign a release just to go diving.... yes there is some risk but there's risk getting out of bed too

go for it

Just keep your fingers away from the eels.... and if a tour guide starts to feed them while your around... back off. Eels are pretty much blind and have a nasty bite if something gets too close to them.

And be sure to take a $5 underwater camera... you'll have a blast with it!!!

• 3 months later...

We did this last summer. I was the first one to jump in. I was a bit scared because I had a grade 3 sparin and my ankle was in a boot cast. I took it off, wrapped it in a brace and ace bandages to keep it still. THey told everyone they had to wear flippers so that the sharks wouldn't see skin. Well, my toes were sticking out. I asked the guide and he said I'd be fine. So, like I said, I was the first one in. Then you crawl out away from the boat hanging on to a line. This was fine until I realized there were several people between me and my kids. Because of the whole line thing I was more worried about them and wanted to be closer to them so I had to go around people as I scooted along the line. It was more of a "Okay, I did this, that was cool, now let's get out." kinda of deal. You don't swim freely with the sharks and they are big and do come close to you. There are a lot of them. When you start to think clearly then you relize that maybe this isn't the smartest thing you've ever done and decide to get back into the boat. They only let you out there for 10 min or so. Then they announce, "Okay, time to get in, the skarks are starting to come up closer to the surface." and you just hope that you are close to the boat or in it already.

Would I do it again? No. Am I glad I did it? Yes!! Like I said, it is something that is fun to do once. I have great pics of it and vivid memories of it. I say go for it. Not every one has to jump in with the sharks. The rest of the snorkel trip was awesome, so even if you didn't do the shark part it was worth the trip. Even seeing the sharks from the boat would be cool. But jumping in was fun. Just have no desire to do it again.

Definitely do it. And unlike the previous poster I would do it again in a second. It was one of the most fascinating things I have ever done. Did I ever feel like I was in danger? Not for a second. My sil has the pictures and forgot to bring them last week. I should have pictures from the snorkeling part of th excursion next week. A fellow cruiser has her pictures posted here:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2860152500049808059IPKfTE

These pictures are from after we returned to the boat and they lure the sharks to the surface.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey!

Thanks!

No worries, mon.

Our Stuart Cove snorkel guide said they hadn't lost a snorkeler in more than ten years.:p

I did a shark dive years ago. It was one of the best things I have done in my life.

I think I would be more nervous doing snorkeling rather than diving though. Because... when you go on a dive, the guides feed the sharks and hence the sharks are used to the big white coolers of bait coming from the boats. When we were on the dive they asked us to sit in a semi circle at the bottom of shark alley and if you looked up you could see the guides bringing down the cooler/bait box filled with bait... and the sharks were following him like puppy dogs. They know what comes from the boats. By the way... the guides were chain male... just in case.

It was a fascinating dive... they only reason I would do it again... is because my husband wants to do it... and he hasn't done it before.

It was a remarkable experience though and definitely buy the video if given an opportunity to do so. Because no one will believe you... and you won't remember that they were "THAT MANY SHARKS".

Jackie

Archived