STAR Sailing Mar 14 & 22/07 - MIXED INFO FROM NCL

goldenhawk49

I know there are several threads on here discussing the issues with the STAR's engines. I know it's something that happens that they can't control. My issue is the lack of a consistent message coming from NCL. Here are 3 different responses that I, my TA, and others on this forum have recived from NCL.

- After emailing the STAR's coordinator directly she said there are issues and they are adjusting the itineraries for the 14th sailing. She couldn't confirm any details for the 22nd sailing (my sailing). This is the most believeable report of the three in my opinion

- My TA called NCL directly yesterday and they told her that NCL is cancelling the 14th sailing altogether to fix the issues. They said it was very likely the 22nd sailing will go.

- Others on this forum have posted messages that NCL representatives have told them the repairs have been completed and all is back to normal and on schedule

- All the NCL website has is in small print "Itinerary will vary on 3/14/07 sailing" in the STAR's Itinerary section.

The bottom line is likely that NCL may not know until the last minute what they are going to do (i.e. cancel the cruise, alter the itinerary...etc.) with each cruise. That really sucks for all us travellers but may be unavoidable at this stage. My real problem is that NCL isn't effectively communicating the situation by sending mixed messages through it's employees. If they really won't know until the last minute, then tell us, it's not good news but it will be honest and accurate and it will stop all the speculation.

Has anyone else had the same issues?

Thanks

I called NCL last week and spoke to their TA, she said the 14th sailing was going to be cancelled while the ship was drydocked to fix the engine problem. She said sailings would resume per itinerary for the 22nd sailing. Since then I have called various departments at NCL and received a less definitive answer than the TA. I agree the communication at NCL is poor internally which translates to frustration for all of us. Currently with all of NCL's financial difficulties you would think that they would try to offset that by shining in the customer relations arena.

NCL has horrible internal communications.

They HAVE announced and posted on the NCL TA website the itinerary changes for the 3/14 sailing. NO mention of cancellation. That's pretty much all we know at this point.

So many folks have gotten SO much misinformation from different NCL people that I wouldn't put any stock in ANY answer they get. For now, the itinerary changes and cancellations that are put in WRITING on the itinerary change section are the only ones I would believe.

NCL has horrible internal communications.

They HAVE announced and posted on the NCL TA website the itinerary changes for the 3/14 sailing. NO mention of cancellation. That's pretty much all we know at this point.

So many folks have gotten SO much misinformation from different NCL people that I wouldn't put any stock in ANY answer they get. For now, the itinerary changes and cancellations that are put in WRITING on the itinerary change section are the only ones I would believe.

I agree with Ella2. We just have to wait until it's our turn to cruise (my sail date if 4/7 on the Star), and they tell us what they are going to do. Everything else is just speculation. I got some good advice from NCL Cruiser who is on the 3/22 Star cruise. He said to just go ahead and reserve your excursions through NCL and if there is a change NCL will automatically cancel them if they change ports. No money changes hands so you have nothing to lose by making a reservation. There are lots of cruisers that don't come on these boards and they are making reservations. If you don't make one there may not be one available if you wait till the last minute. I've decided to take his advice, although I do believe we are going to have port changes too! Don't care, just don't cancel anyone's cruises!:eek: Just a reminder, be very careful about booking tours in Acapluco and PV with private tour companies unless you know for a fact you can get your money back if NCL does change our ports.

I understand the confusion with NCL. I too called them two days ago, and was told all was fine, no need to get upset. The boat was fixed! I don't think they understand what we have to go through to get to port. Time scheduled for vacation, animals put in boarding homes, mail & newspapers put on hold, etc. Uneasy feelings before you have even boarded the ship is not the way to go. I'm booked later in the year, but my feelers are getting tested with this cruise line. Maybe a time to switch.

I wouldn't change. Even with all this mess with the port changes, I am still looking forward to our cruise.:D I love the freestyle dining and casual atmosphere of NCL. To me these port changes are a minor thing. It has nothing to do with the safety of the ship. Have a great cruise!:)

Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts and experiences...

"Good morning Frank,

The Norwegian Star does have some engine problems, but no sailing has been cancelled as this problem is only affecting the speed

of the ship. Because of this, the itinerary was changed for the 3/06 and 3/14 sailing.

We still don’t know if the itinerary will be changed for the 3/22 sailing yet. We will know that a couple days before the sailing date

and if it is changed, you will be advised.

Thanks,

Jennifer Hoadley

Norwegian Star Ship Coordinator"

I take that to mean the itinerary will be changed as they won't have any down time to fix the problems.....

I'm like others in that the change of ports won't ruin the trip for me....just as long as they don't cancel it!

Archived