Captain Marvin's or Nativeway Sports

nichb0

I'm wanting to do Stingray City/snorkeling in Grand Cayman when we do the Mariner Western soon. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend either Captain Marvin's or Nativeway Sports over an RCCL excursion for doing this. I'm also posting this on the Grand Cayman board but thought more people might see it here. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Captain Marvin's. Price, ease of booking, location, and the actual visit to Stingray City.

Captain Marvin is the guy who actually started the whole Stingray City thing. Smaller boats, fewer people, onboard dive crew, multiple itineraries.

Get off the ship turn left go two blocks. You are at Captain Marvin's office where you board a mini van for the short ride to the dock.

Definitely Capt Marvins. Less crowded boats, very informed guides, they work well with non-swimmers and kids too so that everyone gets to experience the stingrays. The only regret we heard later from people were those that did not buy the $50 video of the excursion. We have found the video to be priceless. You do have to request ahead of time that you go out on the boat that is doing the video. Book ahead of time, as slots fill quickly.

Nativeway -- we booked with them last September -- there were about 10 in our group on big boat. The crew was fabulous. They got us out there and away from the crowds. They taught us how to feed the rays and helped us hold onto them. It was a blast! After tendering from the ship - there is a rep. with a Nativeway sign -- you just cross the street to the bus. Book early though!

We went with Native Way last month. Awesome service. Great boat. Extremely courteous guides. They brought the stingrays over to the boat for those who didn't want to get in the water.

We did the Reef Rays and Rum Point excursion. Would highly recommend it. I wrote about it more on the Grand Cayman board. Photos at my webshots: http://travel.webshots.com/album/557958960HEpKRs?start=0

We had a group of 18 people, plus another family of 6 went with us (a family we met on Cruise Critic) so we had a great time. Youngest was 4 yo.

Another vote for Capt Marvin. There was only 9 of us so we got to send a lot of time feeding and holding the stingrays. We were also lucky to have Capt Marvin himself as our captain he told us the story how he started stingray city. The crew told us that Capt Marvin just had his 90th birthday last summer. And I'm here to tell you his mind is still sharp as a tack.

We used Captain Marvins in February and were very happy with them.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone not be happy with either Capt Marvins or Nativeway. They've both always gotten good reports. We did the ships tour on our first cruise and I would defintely go with one of the independent companies.

Another vote for Nativeway. We did the Rays, Reef, and Rum Point. This was the best day of our entire cruise. All of the staff were friendly, and Rum Point is just beautiful. I'm not sure if it's still in the package or not, but it even included lunch at Rum Point. When we go back to Grand Cayman again we will definetly book with them. Hope this helps!

We used Captain Marvin about a year ago and were not thrilled. The tour was fine, howver we had booked the same excursion directly through RCI on a prior cruise the year earlier, and it just was a much better experience. We payed about 60% of what RCI was charging, but felt we got about that in value. The boat with Cap't Marvin was smaller and not as nice, crew was less personable, and the worst was that we docked at the sanbar with about 10-15 other boats, so there were only a few stingrays. On our excursion booked with RCI, we were the only ones in that spot, boat was very, very nice.... with music and a good atmosphere. I don't know what local company they were using, but the excursiopn was far superiour.

We have done Nativeway three times now. I highly recommend them.

We had some minor problems with our tour the second time. This company has great customer service and really wants to make sure you enjoy your tour.

With anything you book remember to bring a list of contact phone numbers with you on each island :)

We used Nativeway two years ago. Our only problem was that our boat didn't have flotation vests to use while snorkeling- they did have life vests to give to the non-swimmers, but it's hard to learn to snorkel (with your face down in the water) wearing a life vest that's designed to keep your head UP. DH & DD didn't need any vests- and enjoyed snorkeling without them (as opposed to some companies who always insist that you do wear a vest). However, the water was a little too rough and cold at the reef area for me to be confident in the water.

The lack of vests didn't matter in the sandbar area (with the rays)- that was the most important part of the excursion for me- and I thought Nativeway did a nice job there. (As in, explaining what to do, helping non-swimmers and those wary of the rays, etc). Also, they did check to make sure everyone was on the right boat that would get them back to their cruise ship in time for the tenders back to the ship (even to the point of transferring one couple to another of their boats.)

Archived