Snorkelling with DD (NEWBIES)...HELP!

nicki1pt

I would love to snorkel while we're in Grand Caymen, but I'm not sure if my 8yr DD could since she's just learning to swim (and that's in a pool!). She loves fish...so I know she would love to see them up close. Snorkeling is totalling new to me and I'd like some ideas of which excursions are good for two NEWBIES. Some that don't just throw you in deep water :eek: and maybe give some instruction. I'm trying to search this forum, but haven't found something yet.

We should probably be in shallow water, right??

Are we better off just snorkeling off of the beach?

Any advice would be appreciated :).

W went with Captain Marvin on the snorkeling/stingray excursion last year when our DD was 7. They give you flotation vests and help you with the gear. DD LOVED the stingrays and you see some amazing fish (and even a HUGE turtle from the boat!) You will enjoy it, and don't worry- there wil be other newbies on the boat.

Have fun- snorkeling is our very favorite thing to do on cruises!

Barb

DD was 8YO first time she snorkeled. She is still (at 11YO) a non-swimmer. But she had no problem with the snorkeling - we bought her one of the inflatable vests and the snorkel provider we used (Pacific Whale foundation in Maui) also provided those pool noodles - so she was VERY comfortable.

Talk to the excursions desk for recommendations for an excursion where they deal well with beginners. The crew on Pac Whale was beyond awesome dealing with our DD. She's now comfortable enough not to need instruction and such, but I've helped a few other families on some excursions we've booked over the years because the crew was really not interested in helping newbies.

Archived