Booking the trip (and luggage question too)

WittyL8dy

I've never booked travel with a travel agent, and rarely book direct with the property or vendor. I generally book using Orbitz, Travelocity, or wherever I can get the best deal. Is there any disadvantage to booking a cruise with cruise.com or a similar online vendor? We're looking at a Royal Carribean cruise in November. Does anyone have experience with a 3rd party online cruise site? Any words of wisdom?? :confused:

Also, do the ship cabins generally have space available to store your luggage? I have a good sized suitcase, but if there is nowhere to stow it maybe it would be better to pack a duffel bag that can be crumpled up and tossed in a drawer.

THANKS!!

We always use a travel agent so I can't advise as to using a third party booking agency. As to your question about the suitcase we have found that the luggage will usually fit under the bed. We put our garment bags inside our hardside suitcase and slide it under the bed. On a couple of trips we have asked the cabin steward if there is storage available and they have put it in a storage area and will bring it back in time for you to repack. Have a great time on your cruise.

We've only used an independent TA once. The rest of our travels and cruises are booked with an online TA. I just booked another cruise Monday and have no concerns about booking with an online company. You'll still be assigned a real live person who will work with you throughout the entire process. So have no fear, online TA's are legit.

jettaleea

One of my concerns is the cabin assignments. I am pretty particular about where I want to be on the ship and I don't want to get pushed around to a different cabin. If I book for a specific cabin online, can I bank on it? Anyone ever had a problem getting bumped from your reserved cabin/deck?

We've used internet travel agents for most of our cruises and have booked gty's with the exception of the last.

The last I booked straight on-line (didn't talk to a human at all) and picked the cabin. I only had a few problems with this.

The first is I apparently didn't see where I could pay only the deposit with I booked. The entire amount was charged that month. I would make sure the next time that I would check this feature out.

The next was I selected a cabin rather than the cat gty's. It was a nice cabin and location but after hearing about upgrades, I'll probably not do this again.

The only other thing is that I simply had no one to call if the rates dropped. At Christmas time, this would be unlikely but next time I will book with a person.

As for luggage storage. I been cruising with my DW and two DD's and they are not shy about brining luggage. (I told them that they could bring as much as they could carry.. they can carry alot). Storing the luggage has never been a problem. For the most part, it will go under your bed.

Happy Crusing.;)

One of my concerns is the cabin assignments. I am pretty particular about where I want to be on the ship and I don't want to get pushed around to a different cabin. If I book for a specific cabin online, can I bank on it? Anyone ever had a problem getting bumped from your reserved cabin/deck?
Depends on which cruiseline as to what you need to do to increase the odds of keeping your chosen cabin. In general, booking a specific cabin will get you that cabin. But on Princess, for example, you must mark your booking 'no upgrade'. Even so, all cruiselines reserve the right to put you in a different cabin if they need to.

I've never booked travel with a travel agent, and rarely book direct .....do the ship cabins generally have space available to store your luggage?

THANKS!!

If you have never cruised before, using a brick and mortar T/A (travel agent) that has a lot of experience with the cruise industry. For first timers, a little hand holding during the booking process is not a bad thing. There’s more than just getting cruise tickets in your hand.

For those who have gone through the process, or have the confidence to go on their own try something like:

http://www.*****.com NOT A COMMERCIAL, JUST AN EXAMPLE

You post what type of cruise your looking for and different T/A’s respond

As far as storage in the cabin, the entire area under the beds is available. Not positive, but I think there’s an extra inch or two clearance than at home. Anyway, after unpacking everything, four bags and suit carrier were under the bed and out of sight.

Archived