Snorkelling Help in Caymans with Daughter

nicki1pt

I would love to snorkel while we're in Grand Cayman, but I'm not sure if my 8yr DD could since she's just learning to swim (and that's in a pool!). She loves fish...so I know she would love to see them up close. Snorkeling is totalling new to me and I'd like some ideas of which excursions are good for two NEWBIES. Some that don't just throw you in deep water :eek: and maybe give some instruction. I'm trying to search this forum, but haven't found something yet.

We should probably be in shallow water, right??

Are we better off just snorkeling off of the beach?

Any advice would be appreciated:).

Given your comments about how new this is to you I'd think going in off the beach is your best bet but you are somewhat unlikely to see many fish since they don't really hang out on the sand - they tend to be around the rocks and coral areas.

One place you could try is Cemetary Beach which is at the north end of 7 Mile Beach - access is an walkway beside a cememtary. Waves should be very gentle and entry quite easy and gradual to deeper water. There are rock formations that are about 3-4' deep so your daughter might be all right there. Usually there isn't a current to speak of which helps alot.

Good luck!

I disagree with the above post. My daughter just learned how to swim last year in our pool. she is 10 and we are going to do the rays, reef, and rumpoint tour through nativeways. The water that they typically go in is only waist deep. This will be the thrill of a lifetime not only for you, but for your daughter as well. Also they probably have snorkel vests too (life jacket like) You can go to a beach and snorkel anytime. Its a chance of a lifetime to swim with Stingrays. Also food for thought, if you take the advice of the above poster and go to a beach on your own. You will be on your own. The Stingrays tour have guides who I have read are very accomodating. At least you would have someone to look over you. I say do the stingray tour. I might add that my youngest daughter is 8 and cant swim at all, not even with a life jacket because she is too buoyant. Her lower extremities float up and put her face in the water. I am still going to take her. Also my mom cant swim either. She almost drown 30 yrs ago. But she is going to do the stingray snorkel just for the simple fact that she will be able to touch the bottom. I hope this helps you out in making your decision. Good Luck and have fun whatever you decide.

Not sure what exactly it is you're disagreeing with in my post but...

You don't swim or snorkel with the rays - you stand on the bottom and they swim around you. You can put a mask on your face and stick it under the water if you like. Depending on where on the sandbar you get off your boat is can be somewhere between 3-4' deep.

Be aware that some younger children find the stingray experience very frightening as the rays can become aggressive looking for food - they don't hurt you but a young child can't necessarily reconcile that fact with these large dark "creatures" bumping into them and occassionally knocking them over. Many love the experience but some are very scared.

You can't necessarily count on a guide who has to look after 20+ people to notice you or your daughter is in distress. By the same token I wouldn't pick a vacant beach to try snorkeling/swimming the first time either - Cemetary beach is usually well populated.

The snorkel stops on most SRC tours are in 10-15' of water at coral gardens and the second stop is at the reef which is roughly 5-6' deep depending on how close you get to the reef.

Where in the OP does it even mention SRC?

Archived