footwear for dining room

goin'toalaska

My DH wouldn't choose to wear that sort of footwear to the dining room. Personally, I don't feel that shoe appropriate for a formal dining room such as are on HAL ships. It isn't such a big deal to pack one other loafer/casual shoe to wear in the evenings.

JMHO......

I couldn't care less what is on someone's feet. I'm not looking at anyone's shoes when I am seated at a table in the dining room. and everyone else has their feet under a table. I think the Merrells are just fine.

I couldn't care less what is on someone's feet. I'm not looking at anyone's shoes when I am seated at a table in the dining room. and everyone else has their feet under a table. I think the Merrells are just fine.

My thoughts exactly! I am beginning to think of Holland America as the fashion cruise. I'm afraid this isn't going to be my kind of ship:(

I think they're fine, too. My DH brought dress shoes and his loafers for the non-formal nights. But he could have just as easily brought his leather Merrell's.

I think shoes, for the most part, go unnoticed as Renee said.

I have plantar fasciitis, so wear Merrell's a lot. If anyone asks him, tell him to pass it off as a foot problem!

My thoughts exactly! I am beginning to think of Holland America as the fashion cruise. I'm afraid this isn't going to be my kind of ship:(

Please don't feel that way....there are many people on the HAL thread that feel your shoe choice is fine....including me.....nobody is going to look at your shoes when eating dinner....it's a casual shoe, for a casual evening. Enjoy your cruise.

The dress code doesn't mention shoes. We take shoes that sort of go with the dress of the evening, but don't worry about it. My feet don't agree with most shoes. I'm not about to hobble around or eat in agony. Also, I'm not going to overload the luggage with shoes.

I try to pack my wardrobe around one basic color so I have less shoes to pack. They are heavy and take up a lot of room. Still, between dress shoes, beach shoes, sandals, sneakers, casual shoes, it's a lot. So, one color packing is helpful.

I am also one of those who never notice what anyone is wearing on their feet when I am seated at the table in the Dining Room.

I don't know what Merrel mocs are but from your description they sound perfectly fine for both casual and informal evenings. The Alaskan cruises tend to be more informal than many others anyway since they are so port intensive and most people choose to save room in their luggage for heavier jackets and sweaters.

Valerie:)

Trust me guys....

DON'T SWEAT IT.

Life onboard is MUCH DIFFERENT than posts on "Cruise Critic".

You'll gain some wonderful insight here, but if you let it happen, will become intimidated by the "old school" HAL posters.

You can see when that's happening... let it go in one ear and OUT THE OTHER.

Have a blast. :D Don't worry about how others feel about flippin' footwear! :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I can't let this go.:mad:

As of now, gazing at my recently refreshed thread, there are 11 replies to "goin'toalaska" who asked an innocent question.

Out of these replies, 10 replies were either supportive or apathetic.

Hope that tells you something, OP. Have fun on your cruise. ;)

Don't worry, the shoes sound fine for the 'country club' casual nights (there won't be informal by the time Alaska season starts). DH wears rubber-soled SAS shoes for the non-formal nights and unless anyone was on the floor looking at his shoes they would even be aware they are rubber-soled (and in that case they have more problems than what is on DH's feet :rolleyes: )

Am going to Alaska and would like to minimize packing of shoes. Obviously need dress shoes for formal nights' date=' but was wondering if a man could get away with leather-upper rubber-soled Merrel mocs with khakis for the other nights.[/quote']

As a former shoe buyer for major department stores and sales director for the largest German shoe manufacturer, and a long time HAL cruiser I can say you're perfectly ok with wearing these shoes. On casual/informal nights these rubber soled shoes are great, I wear these types too, they also will prevent you from slipping in case of rough seas. On formal nights of course it's leather soles! Better dancing up in the Crow's nest, anyway!

wondering if a man could get away with leather-upper rubber-soled Merrel mocs with khakis for the other nights.

Alaska - I had no clue what you were talking about so I googled Merrell shoes & found a couple of pix. Absolutely I think these would be fine with khakis on casual nights. Some of the mocs look a bit hiker-boot-type' date=' but I don't think you're talking about those, are you?[/size']

MRL-W43521-03-y.psd.fpx?cell=100,100&qlt=80&rgn=0,-1.03665987780041,2.03665987780041,2.03665987780041&cvt=jpeg

MRL-W73279-04-y.psd.fpx?cell=100,100&qlt=80&rgn=0,-1.18818380743982,2.18818380743982,2.18818380743982&cvt=jpeg

Now that HAL is allowing jeans in the dining rooms, it's simply amazing the things folks throw on & define as "casual." Any more fashion questions - c'mon over to the fashion board. We're a friendly bunch. :)

I'll weigh in with all of the posters who said Merrills will be fine -I wholeheartedly agree. My DH wears boat shoes with his khaki's on casual nites. Please yourself in your footwear and be comfortable - no matter what anyone says. Remember - there is no shoe police to check your footwear.

Never heard of Merrell Mocs and had no idea what they looked like until Sunshine 91 posted the pic

I actually have a pair of them (although mine came from LL Bean)

They are super comfortable and I wear mine with Dockers all the time . I think they will be perfect for casual night

Regarding jeans, the pre-cruise documents no longer say anything about jeans not being allowed.

Back on topic, for casual night wear whatever footwear is comfortable whether it's athletic shoes, sandals, hiking boots, Merrills or ... .

Archived