footwear for dining room

goin'toalaska

Thanks twinkletoes for posting that for mamofami! I was going to do that and got sidetracked.

We have a private pilot (female) who stays at our inn frequently, and in her off duty time, she always wears croc's. Says they're the most comfortable things she's ever worn!

My granddaughters, also, all have crocs and love them (they're 7 and under). DH has a pair that he wears on our boat. When you mentioned them, I was reminded that I was going to buy a pair for the cruise....and forgot.

How are they for walking on the decks (Lido, Promenade, etc.)?

Carol, I've looked at them in the stores and they seem nice and wide. I don't know if they are actually, when you try them on, but they appear that way. They sell them here in The Paper Store ~ a chain ~ there's probably one near you.

As someone else said, beware of the imitations!

They are perfect for walking on deck--or anywhere. We've worn them to walk the *Race for the Cure* for the last 3 years in our hometown--we haven't worn sneakers since we found Crocs. We wore them when we did the *On Deck for the Cure* walk on the Volendam and they are great. Also great for excursions when you're doing any walking on uneven or wet surfaces.

I find the maryjanes completely acceptable for casual night in the dining room--they *dress up* a little more than the standard Beach model. Different strokes.....

They are perfect for walking on deck--or anywhere. We've worn them to walk the *Race for the Cure* for the last 3 years in our hometown--we haven't worn sneakers since we found Crocs. We wore them when we did the *On Deck for the Cure* walk on the Volendam and they are great. Also great for excursions when you're doing any walking on uneven or wet surfaces.

Which model do you wear for walking the deck/"On Deck for the Cure"? I just looked at Crocs site and while I like the Athens (and will probably buy some), I don't think they're suitable for walking any considerable distance. I didn't like the look of Nile.

Has anyone seen Jibbetz? The founder/creator of the company appeared on Oprah a while back. Amazing story! Started up from nothing and ended up selling the company to Crocs for $10 million ... husband and wife still run the company today.. They're the original thingies that go into the Crocs holes. The kids love 'em.

I've noticed tons of nurses and workers in hospitals wear Crocs. You have to figure they must be comfortable if they wear them all day on the job!

Talking about ugly shoes reminds me of the boots that came out a few years ago called UGHS. They are the most comfortable boots ever. They are named UGHS because they are so ugly that the manufacturer decided to give them that name. Too warm for the caribbean, but I saw some on deck in NY during the life boat drill. I don't usually look down at peoples' shoes, but walking with those vests on the stairs, it's a good idea to look down and make sure you don't trip over someone's undone straps.:(

Has anyone seen Jibbetz? The founder/creator of the company appeared on Oprah a while back. Amazing story! Started up from nothing and ended up selling the company to Crocs for $10 million ... husband and wife still run the company today.. They're the original thingies that go into the Crocs holes. The kids love 'em.

I've noticed tons of nurses and workers in hospitals wear Crocs. You have to figure they must be comfortable if they wear them all day on the job!

Those must be the thingie's my granddaughters love to buy to stick in the holes on the Croc's! I must admit....I've bought them Croc's....and the thingie's! None for myself....yet!

this is only for ladies with wide feet. i have a foot like fred flintstone. very short and almost as wide. i want a pair of black sandal type shoes with a little heel? any ideas girls? we leave in less than 2 weeks and i have 3 cute outfits with no shoes. i will not wear birkenstocks with these outfits. and i can't find a shoe that doesn't cause loss of circulation or that makes me walk funny. i am short and stout. lol. that was kind. i am round. but i want a nice shoe. any ideas? thanks, lauri

Heck - why not?

I usually wear leather slides for the evening on casual nights on warm-weather itineraries...

(...to go with my jeans and blazer.)

;)

Brian.....

Let's not downplay those blazers!!! Those are some great jackets you don each evening!!! :)

nurseblissful, I also have a wide foot. Birkenstock was going to be my suggestion - but I also know they are very casual looking. You might try Nordstroms, they have some wide sizes. Also, I've had luck using a search engine for "women's shoes", finding wide sizes, if I see anything I like then search for that manufacturer to find out if there is a retail outlet near me.

Also, unbelievable, I found a great pair of wide dressy sandals at Payless & Walmart - I know! I have to look everywhere, since the possibilities are so limited. But hey, they looked great!

Good luck!

this is only for ladies with wide feet. i have a foot like fred flintstone. very short and almost as wide. i want a pair of black sandal type shoes with a little heel? any ideas girls? we leave in less than 2 weeks and i have 3 cute outfits with no shoes. i will not wear birkenstocks with these outfits. and i can't find a shoe that doesn't cause loss of circulation or that makes me walk funny. i am short and stout. lol. that was kind. i am round. but i want a nice shoe. any ideas? thanks, lauri

Go to a specialty shoe store and ask for Munro's! The photo is of some Munro sandals I found on-line for you. If that's not to your liking, try Ecco sandals. Cosmo II is the style.

740512756_MunroSandal.jpg.c6f1bfc4965e723bb721435f64265191.jpg

Have never tried Croc's & like the Nile style..Plan on going to the Baths in Virgin Gorda & think they will be just fine for that..Also want to purchase them on-line as have purchased regular shoes on line & they normally fit...Unfortunately, I really like shoes & have lots of them..

Have a question for those who have worn the Croc's...

I normally wear a size 7 medium shoe..On printing out the Croc's size chart & placing my foot on the base of the scale, my toes reach size W-8...The 4 inch scale on the size chart states "make sure this area measures 4 inches when printed for accurate sizing" ..However, my printed scale actually measures 3 7/8...Do you think it will make a big difference in the size & does anyone know if Croc's normally run smaller than regular shoes? :confused:

Thanks..Betty

Betty....

I wear a size 6 1/2 - 7 medium (depending on the shoe) and I wear the crocs size "w 6-7 small" and my mother wears a 7-7 1/2 medium and she also wears the same size as I do.

My daughter wears an 8 or 8 1/2 medium and she wears the medium size Crocs (med-w-8 to 9).

We've bought the beach version, not the slimmer Cayman model (which looks like it comes in regular sizes (6-7-8 etc.)

If you'd like, I could run up to our local Hallmark store and try on the two different ones and see how they fit me, since we're about the same shoe size. If I had to guess, I'd say go with the size 7, but I'd be glad to go and try on the different types (and sizes).

Point of info, the "M" and the "W" on the bottom of the Crocs (and their size chart) does not stand for medium or wide. It stands for Men's and Women's sizes. Some Crocs are for both men and women. When they're not the bottom just says the letter "W" (for women) and the size (or "M" for men). All their widths are medium.

Betty, I found them pretty true to size. I wear anywhere from an 8 to a 9. I got the 8 in the Athens, but would take a 9 in a closed Crocs.

Twinkletoes...That's so very sweet of you to offer to do that for me but not necessary..Since you mentioned Hallmark, we have a large Hallmark store in Ft.Myers & I can try them on there..Thank you anyway..I'll probably order the size 7...Used to wear 6 1/2 but find the 7's much more comfortable as my feet have grown since I've been retired & wearing flats most of the time..LOL..

Heather, yes I realize the W stood for Women not wide..

Appreciate the info you've both given me..Thanks again for your help...

Happy cruising everyone..:) Betty

P.S. I tend to look a peoples shoes, because I love them so much..;)

serendipity1499...Besides Hallmark, I've noticed that some of the larger sporting goods stores carry Crocs. :)

Heather...I'd forgotten about the "men and women" sizes. The bottom of mine also say M-4-5, which I guess would be a man size shoe 4-5. Thanks for mentioning that. :)

Now that we've totally confused the OP............... :) (I don't think she's been back)

I'd heard folks talk about their crocs but didn't really know what they were talking about - gardening shoes maybe? Checked out that link tonight. OMG. I thought birkenstocks were ugly. Crocs go beyond ugly. :eek:

I like pretty clothes & I like to dress nicely - but not at the sacrifice of comfort. I also adore shoes. I DO look at what other people are wearing on their tooties - I wanna see what's out there. But none of my shoes are uncomfortable. And none of my shoes are ugly (at least I don't think so).

But, that's only my personal opinion. I can see how one might incorporate a pair of these into a casual night outfit. Sort of. Maybe. :o

I'd heard folks talk about their crocs but didn't really know what they were talking about - gardening shoes maybe? Checked out that link tonight. OMG. I thought birkenstocks were ugly. Crocs go beyond ugly. :eek:

They are ugly, IMO ... but they are also the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn (which came as a total surprise to me. A friend told me about them, and I just couldn't believe they were as comfortable as she said they were ... and they are).

I personally wouldn't wear them anywhere but around the house, running through airports, or shore excursions, but I did see a lot of people wearing them onboard the ship. :)

...But, that's only my personal opinion. I can see how one might incorporate a pair of these into a casual night outfit. Sort of. Maybe. :o

Cousin S--

You have some of the prettiest tootsies...

;)

Hallmark carries Crocs????!!!!:eek: Not at ours! That is so weird:) .

I agree. Crocs are the ugliest shoes on the face of the earth and they're not for wearing in any kind of situation that you want to look really nice. But if you're looking for comfort only, they're great.

The thongs, however, really aren't ugly at all ... and they're about 100 times more comfortable than any other "flip-flop" on the face of the earth.

Are you talking Hallmark, as in the card store?

There's a store here, The Paper Store, and they carry Hallmark and lots of other stuff (they have a Vera Bradley section, a Yankee Candle section, etc.). They also sell Croc's!

They are a chain, although I don't know how extensive, so perhaps you can find one near you!

All I can say is, whoever invented Croc's is making a bundle!

Heather ...... By thongs are you referring to the Athens? I like those and am thinking of ordering them on line.

I'm still trying to find out the model that one of the posters said were so excellent for walking. She said she wore them for a long "Race for the Cure" and on the ships for "On Deck for the Cure". I'd love to learn which model that is.

Heather ...... By thongs are you referring to the Athens? I like those and am thinking of ordering them on line.

I'm still trying to find out the model that one of the posters said were so excellent for walking. She said she wore them for a long "Race for the Cure" and on the ships for "On Deck for the Cure". I'd love to learn which model that is.

I believe she may have been talking about the "original" Croc.

Archived