Kitchen wares, markets, groceries?

Mezzaluna

I thought I read somewhere that there's a kitchen wares store in a shopping center on on Grand Cayman. I'm a foodie and interested in that kind of thing as well as local markets and groceries.

Can anyone tell me if I'll find anything like that on Grand Cayman? I've got the day to myself and want to indulge that passion a bit!

There is a decent kitchen wares store named Ambience in the Strand shopping center along Seven Mile Beach.

Local groceries are primarily major supermarket format. We do have some Caribbean vegetables you aren't likely to find at home.

Drew---Can you help me out ?? Having never been to the Caymen Islands,could you tell me,how far is Ambience from the dock,can we walk there. And also where can I find a map of the dock area with all the sights.

Thank you so much :)

Linda

Ambience is well out of walking distance. It used to be right in downtown, but it moved.

The best map is always teh Lands and Survey Department map at http://maps.caymanlandinfo.ky/imagemapfiles/gcindex.htm

Downtown, where the cruise ships dock, is in box #29 http://maps.caymanlandinfo.ky/ArcIMS/AtlasPages/gcpage29.pdf

Ambience is in the Strand shopping centre in box #20 http://maps.caymanlandinfo.ky/ArcIMS/AtlasPages/gcpage20.pdf (orange on map near the top of the page).

Most cruise lines give a pared down version of a map of downtown.

By Public Bus it should be US$2.50 per person. By shared taxi perhaps US$4 pp??? It's slightly further than the Hyatt, but not as far as Sea Grape.

There is sometimes traffic, especially in the afternoon heading back to the dock. Without traffic its only about 7 minutes.

Totally understand where you are coming from, Ann. It's my favourite past time too. I usually bring back something foodie related as souvenirs for my foodie friends and foodie colleagues. However, bottled items can get quite heavy. Will have to be more selective with the new airline carryon regulations. What is a foodie to do??

In addition to rumcakes, I've brought back Tortuga rum BBQ sauce: gave some bottles away and cooked with some and had people over to enjoy it (They were super heavy bottles, though!) Local jams & chutneys from St. Thomas, hot sauces, spices, gouda cheese from Aruba, a variety of local flavoured rums, Mexican Mole sauce, chocolates... I try to cater to the person's tastes. P.S> My DD hates this, because she has to help me trek it home. It's not fun packing it either, but my friends/colleagues really appreciate the effort and I enjoy looking for it.

Just keep in mind the new liquids rules that the TSA impose if you are flying home after your cruise. I don't know how liquidy something must be to qualify, but carefully pack those sauces and such in your check in luggage to get them home!

Mole can take many forms, but one that you'll see in stateside restaurants contains some mix of garlic, chiles and Mexican (unsweetened) chocolate along with some herbs. In families I understand it's a closely guarded secret!

I went to Ambience and found it not what I was looking for. It had a selection of nice dinnerware and some kitchenwares, but was more for furnishing your new Grand Cayman beachside condo than for the foodie. I consoled myself with rum cakes, jerk sauce and coffee from Jamaica and Costa Rica. I did get to visit the local market in Limon, Costa Rica. There I saw locals buying habanero and scotch bonnet peppers, plantains, various fruits and melons. They also sold bulk rice and beans. It made an interesting visit.

Archived