Has anyone been to some Ancient Ruins in Mexio?

crazycruzer68

I may be wrong in characterizing the entire country snce I haven't been to all of it but, Tijuana,Ensendada, Puerto Nuevo, Matzelan,Puerto Vallarta and lastly Cabo (though Cabo has alot of natural bueaty that the Mexicans have little control over) are toilets

Well, I suppose we've had different experiences. I was just in PV last month, and while I admittedly spent most of my time in the old town, I found it to be a charming place, maybe a bit on the twee tourist-trap side, but certainly not what you so charmingly call "a toilet." But then, I've traveled (very rewardingly) to Cairo, Calcutta, and Mandalay, so perhaps our grounds for comparison - and our expectations of the world - differ.

Ummm, if you want a place that is exactly like a major US city then you really don't need to leave the US, there are plenty of those here.

Mexico is not a weathy country, the people are, to US standards, well below poverty level as the norm. This is true in most 3rd world countries. But much of what you may consider "ruin" or "poor" in such areas is more likely to be "custom". There are still homes in FL that have jallousy (sp?) windows. Most people would consider that outdated and only for the "poor", yet those windows are perfect for homes that do not want or need AC as the windows work best with the FL winds, especially beach winds.

In the Mayan culture they still build their homes with sticks and leave many gaps in the walls. They sit in these stick huts and work on their computers while the kids watch satellite TV. Don't confuse "culture" with "poor".

One of the most unusual sites I have ever seen is people, men and women, stopping on the side of the road to use the restroom in the gutters. Just out in the open without a care in the world. These gutters are about 8 inches across and about 12 inches deep and are actually designed for this purpose. Did I mention this wasn't in a 3rd world country? It was in Japan.

We have lots of different cultures right here in the US, and I am not even refering to imported cultures. The deep south has it's own culture and the mid south has theirs, New England has a distinct culture as does the midwest. The only thing is we have a melting pot of information where people have taken from each of these cultures in order to make their homes and environments more appealing. In the process much of our "local" culture has intermixed and grown together.

One of the beauties of traveling abroad is to see and experience other cultures. To learn from them and to understand them, and in learning about them, to learn much more tolerance for those we find different from ourselves.

As to ruins, ruins a piece of history you can look at and learn about, they tell you a story about a culture and how it came to be. Sadly since most of the US can only trace their history here back a few years many don't understand how history shapes the way people think and act, and they don't view historical sites as places where they come from, only as places they can visit.

We went to Tulum in 2004 on our own. It was ok. I definitely would hire one of the guides. We did not and really didn't get the full history. We took a local bus, which was fine. It was April when we were there and it was VERY hot. Be prepared. We wanted to stop at Xel-ha on the way back. We asked the bus driver if they could let us off there. He said they could. What he didn't say was that he would let us off at the end of the road leading to the entrance alongside the highway. We had to walk to the entrance, which was at least 1 mile, if not 2. By the time we got there, we were so exhausted we got a taxi and headed straight back to the ship. We laugh about it now, but it was not funny then. Also, the pole dancers are interesting to watch, but be prepared when they come up and DEMAND a tip!

Well, I suppose we've had different experiences. I was just in PV last month, and while I admittedly spent most of my time in the old town, I found it to be a charming place, maybe a bit on the twee tourist-trap side, but certainly not what you so charmingly call "a toilet." But then, I've traveled (very rewardingly) to Cairo, Calcutta, and Mandalay, so perhaps our grounds for comparison - and our expectations of the world - differ.

Like I mentioned before I was probably out of line judging the whole country as a ruin but the places I have seen unfortunatly are kept as toilets from trash to acualy human waste in the streets to drian in the ocean. The place is shabby and no one seems to care to make it look better. Now I did see a show on Cozumel and it did seem nice there hopefully I was not looking at a resort that doesn't represent the surrounding areas.

I just find it dissapointing that peolpe can proudly live that way. And, I don't buy the poverty excuse. My grandparents lived in Italy and were poor for all practcal purposes but thay had pride in their home. Though humble, thier home was always clean and well cared for as well as plants and garden.

In Mexican cities, there isn't alot of effort on the street front of their homes. However when you walk through those big doors, you often walk in to a beautiful foyer and find the beautiful courtyards and the individual rooms of their home. Granted, the outside may not look like much, but once inside there is plenty of wow factor and much pride in their homes. Of course this is not always the case, but neither are the rural homes of Applachia, DC, Harlem or South LA. You can't judge the book by its cover.

Ummm, if you want a place that is exactly like a major US city then you really don't need to leave the US, there are plenty of those here.

Mexico is not a weathy country, the people are, to US standards, well below poverty level as the norm. This is true in most 3rd world countries. But much of what you may consider "ruin" or "poor" in such areas is more likely to be "custom". There are still homes in FL that have jallousy (sp?) windows. Most people would consider that outdated and only for the "poor", yet those windows are perfect for homes that do not want or need AC as the windows work best with the FL winds, especially beach winds.

In the Mayan culture they still build their homes with sticks and leave many gaps in the walls. They sit in these stick huts and work on their computers while the kids watch satellite TV. Don't confuse "culture" with "poor".

One of the most unusual sites I have ever seen is people, men and women, stopping on the side of the road to use the restroom in the gutters. Just out in the open without a care in the world. These gutters are about 8 inches across and about 12 inches deep and are actually designed for this purpose. Did I mention this wasn't in a 3rd world country? It was in Japan.

We have lots of different cultures right here in the US, and I am not even refering to imported cultures. The deep south has it's own culture and the mid south has theirs, New England has a distinct culture as does the midwest. The only thing is we have a melting pot of information where people have taken from each of these cultures in order to make their homes and environments more appealing. In the process much of our "local" culture has intermixed and grown together.

One of the beauties of traveling abroad is to see and experience other cultures. To learn from them and to understand them, and in learning about them, to learn much more tolerance for those we find different from ourselves.

As to ruins, ruins a piece of history you can look at and learn about, they tell you a story about a culture and how it came to be. Sadly since most of the US can only trace their history here back a few years many don't understand how history shapes the way people think and act, and they don't view historical sites as places where they come from, only as places they can visit.

You do raise alot of good points however if "culture" as you said is deficating on the streets with what we know about sickness that it can cause and since septic systems have been in use since the Romans I don't think that spending my vacation dollars to go and be a part of that is charming in the least. Just as I wouldn't vacation in some deep south town as you mentioned to see a hillbilly use his out house.

What I see in the areas I have visited in Mexico is that everyone is out for themselves and they think nothing of raising the bar for their country and even thier culture. I am sure not ALL of mexico is this way but some of the vacation destinations were.

I think it's sad that Mexico let's itself continue to be a 3rd world country they have the resourses not to be.

Great pictures Photocruiser!!

Subway at Tulum??? Wow, lot of changes in 10 year since we went. We loved it, it was our first excursion on our first cruise, so it was memorable for that, but also how beautiful the water is, and the glorious ruins. We then got a bus tour into Cozumel for shopping the rest of the day - i'd recommend it, but I like beautiful scenery and historical places, and Tulum fit the bill ;)

I think it's sad that Mexico let's itself continue to be a 3rd world country they have the resourses not to be.

On this we can definately agree. People complain about the disparity of wealth in the US but Mexico is a prime example or what real disparity of wealth is. A Mexican was recently announced as the world 3rd richest man in the world, he makes his money paying his employees next to nothing and charging extortionistic prices for monopoliptic services that we in the US would simply shop around for.

Cities in Mexico which aren't dependent on tourism do pretty well. In Merida for example, a city of one million, has Costco, Walmart, Burger King, Mickey D's, Avis and believe me, those retailers are not empty and prices are no lower than in the US. I've visited/used all of those. People as a rule don't work for fifty cents an hour as the unions will tell you. Also auto assembly plants, farming (corn, beans, etc for export), shoes and terracotta cement and I guess Oil is the biggest resource, which is owned by the Mexican government. The produce in rural markets is beautiful. Merida, the capitol of the Yucatan State has at least four universitys. The city is very clean and safe. The people are very nice. Guayabera shirts that most men wear cost $35 to $70. The best Panama hats up to $100 in the Mercado. Highways are very good and not crowded. Watch out for the speed bumps when entering small towns. Humdingers. LOL The people take great pride in their history and culture. The Mayan culture of the 5th to 10 century were every bit as advanced as the Romans. The impressive Mayan ruins of that period were built without the aid of iron/steel implements. They don't tear down their culturaly correct buildings and replace with lots of chrome and glass like we do here, with no character. They restore those buildings. Their knowlege of astrology was very advance. Most of the police in center city don't need to carry sidearms. If anyone would like to see my pics of the Yucatan, just let me know at http://www.hdawson228@aol.com

Unfortunately, cruising is not the best way to see the most consequential ancient cities of Mexico. We enjoyed Tulum and you can get an idea of it by watching the movie Against All Odds; it is the only Mayan city on the ocean. We have been to Chaccoben, but the best ruins are not reached by most cruise ships: Chichen Itza, Uxmal, and Palenque...as well as the the ancient Olmec site near Villahermosa. That being said, there are many interesting Mayan sites to be seen while cruising and Ivan and David are not the only way to see them (or necessarily the best)!

Shep. Try Merida, Campeche or the small towns and villages of the Yucatan state. Delightful. Warm people. My interests aren't in the overcrowded and overtouristed "in" spots. Checkout www.yucatantoday.com Not at all like bordertowns, Cancun or Cozumel.

Thanks. Actually, I've traveled pretty widely all over Mexico. I rented a car for a week in Playa del Carmen, which was a great way to see the Yucatan, particularly some of the more off-the-beaten-track Mayan sites. It was not without incident - being searched by the Mexican army on a lonely road, the hotel in Villahermosa temporarily "losing" our passports - but was really great.And I stayed on Cozumel for four or five days, too, in a funky divers' hotel. Went diving, snorkeling, rented mopeds and toured the island. Even there, as soon as you get four or five blocks inland from the port, the whole atmosphere changed.

Y'know, as much as I love cruising, the mindset that a port in a developing country is just Señor Frog's and Diamonds International surrounded by inconvenient natives, really gets to me. It is possible for a town in a developing country to be a tourist destination without losing its soul - Antigua, Guatemala springs to mind - but dumping five megacruisers worth of passengers per day in a small port on a small island is bound to cause, um, distortions of the indigenous culture.

Yes, and it's sad the USA has an infant mortality rate twice that of Japan and a childhood poverty rate 8 times that of Sweden, while we obsess about the quality of the lobster on Formal Night.

(Actually, out of two dozen industrialized nations in a UNICEF study, the only country with a higher rate of childhood poverty was...wait for it...Mexico, which has a rate almost identical to New York State's.)

Shepp. Another interesting comparison: While only 7 percent of US college students are majoring in engineering and mathmatics, that number is 35% in India and China. And some can't understand why other countries are advancing faster than us.

Archived