Passports taking longer to process

Don Haynes

I agree with you, but many people don't read a newspaper or watch the news (many of my friends don't :eek:

That's right! Many people don't know what's going on in the world around them, so many of these folks were caught by surprise when they decided to travel outside the US.

I sent my renewal in on January 18 and they received on January 21 (Sunday?). The check cashed on February 5. The website showed on March 2 it should be received on March 10. On March 8, it said it should be received on March 7, then on March 9 it showed mailed and due by March 15, I received on March 12. I did not expedite since I had until June.

I'd check it often, it will let you know that it really has been shipped.

To answer Seabounds question (and anyone else) you can use your birth certicate to travel out of NY to Port Canaveral-Bahamas. We had passports, but TONS of people had birth certificates. There are only 3-4 custom officers checking thousands of passports/certificates (at NY's port) that they barely glance at them. It's not that serious. As for passport service: I was renewing mine and my husband was applying for the 1st time. He got his in less than 3 weeks! Mine still hadn't arrived and I had to call the 1-800 # and request expedited service for $60 since I was born in Portugal and a birth certifiacte would be useless! It came in the mail in 4 days! The service rep on the phone told me that they process them locally (to wherever you live) and that's why they can send them out so fast after receiving the application. I swear it's a way to make money.

I noticed a couple of days ago that they have stopped posting the expected arrival date. I wish they hadn't done that! At least before I knew what to expect, now its a guess.:(Thankfully I still have time, and technically I don't need them for my upcoming cruise, but I would like to have it 'just in case'.

One of my friends at work took her son the other day to get his passport and paid expedited fees - even so, she was told a minimum of 4 weeks with expedited:eek: ...

While we were talking, I asked if she was SURE the passport was classified as expedited - her reply? YUP - that's what I paid $186 for.........

I know the passport agencies are busy - but doesn't anyone think that they would have brought on additional people to handle processing since they've known for quite some time that 2007 would be an insane year for passports?

One of my friends at work took her son the other day to get his passport and paid expedited fees - even so, she was told a minimum of 4 weeks with expedited:eek: ...

While we were talking, I asked if she was SURE the passport was classified as expedited - her reply? YUP - that's what I paid $186 for.........

Its 97 plus 60 for an Adult expedited passport. slightly less for a childs. Although with overnight mail fees, it might be more. But express mail fees only get it to you a day or two faster. You wait until the last minute yu pay the piper...

They originally told me Middle of May, then website said I should get it by April 9th, now it just gives the passport number and tell me it will take 10 weeks. It ought to be interesting. We leave May 27th.

There was a posting on another board last night of someone who talked with the passport office yesterday. This person was told that the passport status website computers are having problems and not working correctly. That explains why so many postings on passport issues on the boards show no tracking, incorrect dates, dates being moved. Hope this helps.

Hi, I posted in this thread last week and just wanted to give an update. I got my passport! :) All in all it took approximately 8 weeks for me (renewal) and 6 weeks for my boyfriend (new application). I do think they are taking into consideration your date of departure and really trying to get the passports issued in time for you to travel.

Good luck to everyone else!

We had to expedite an adult renewal before an upcoming trip. We paid $127, and I included a prepaid FedEx envelope for the return. Total time??

SIX DAYS! Yes, 6 days. We were worried about it after reading through this thread, but we were pleasantly surprised at the turn around. I guess there are some efficiencies left in our government afterall.:D

Its 97 plus 60 for an Adult expedited passport. slightly less for a childs. Although with overnight mail fees, it might be more. But express mail fees only get it to you a day or two faster. You wait until the last minute yu pay the piper...

Even if you don't wait till the last minute you still might have to pay the piper. :eek: They are sooooo backed up now. It is worth paying the $60 and minus the headache!! :D

If you think it is bad now, next year it is bound to be worst, for adults crossing the border by land. Don't delay any longer, get your passports now, especially if you live near the border.

Glad I have mine already.

Also glad that here in Canada, it's not taking as long, or costing as much.

Sis-in-Law mailed her application off at the end of Jan 07, got it back at the end of Feb 07.

As many have noted, the online passport tracking stopped showing the projected completion date a week or so ago.

I always check each morning anyway, and this morning it does show that ours are finished and gives a priority mail tracking number, which is nice.

So, we applied on 1/27. Took three weeks to start tracking. When they were showing the projected completion it varied from 3/27-3/29. They completed them on 3/27, just about 8 weeks. Given the volume of applications they are working with, I don't think that is so bad.

We did regular processing, not expedited, as we had 10+ weeks before sailing, and technically don't need them. I do feel better, however, knowing we will have them 'just in case'. So thanks, Don Haynes, for the nagging;)!

I mailed my renewal on 3/3...bank statement shows check cashed 3/9...I'll see when I get the new passport!

I have plenty of time.

Just do it early...also, if you will need a "renewal" by the time you travel..they informed us that you cannot send the renewal in until 6 months before your passport is due to expire.

Good Luck to all:)

I sent in my renewal the last week of January and it came yesterday. That is a long time. My wife and kids are still hanging. We have ordered back-up birth certificates just in case. What a mess.

You're ok since you will have the birth certificates.

Also, they usually send back the birth certificates way before the passport is processed. Separate mailings.

Looks like you are ahead of the game;)

Good for you:)

My DFIL and DBIL sent for their passports January 31st. DFIL received his yesterday but DBIL didn't get his yet. We leave next Wednesday.

Has anyone had any luck when they e-mail the passport department?:confused: I sent off an e-mail 4 days ago and haven't received a response.

Also, they usually send back the birth certificates way before the passport is processed. Separate mailings.

5 of us in the family -- all have passports. We never got the birth certificates returned in a separate mailing (always returned with the passport). Maybe that's just the way they do it here in Miami :)

Applied for DS's renewal on February 1st and still waiting.

I feel people should realized that if everyone start applying for their passport at the same time, there is going to be some delay. Since the requirement of new passport was suppose to be last year (before they change it), people should have started applying for their passport than. And as one board member stated. Yes, it isn't require when cruising but you do need it when flying. So, if you are left at a port and had to fly back would you have a problem? When I got mines last year there were delays and then those people whose application had went to New Orleans had even bigger trouble. My advice to all people who are planning on doing any traveling is to get there passport asap. Don't wait until you plan something before you apply. When they start going electronic, not only will the passport become more expensive, but can you image the wait you will have than.

But I do pray that everyone that are waiting for their passport to arrive, have them prior to their cruise. Good Luck!

Archived