Megan's Bay or Trunk Bay?

LadyGator97

If you're looking to snorkel, forget Magen's and head to Trunk instead.

If snorkeling is not a concern, then either beach will do. Either one will provide you with completely diffferent beach scenery than you would find in Florida.

If you're heading there in the summer months, then crowds will not be an issue. But if you're not heading there in the summer, then here's how you can minimize getting sand kicked all over you:

• At Magen's walk toward the water and head left until the crowd thins out.
  • At Trunk Bay walk toward the far left or the far right until the crowd thins. Most folks will tend to set up "shop" nearest the little cay around which everyone snorkels. The little cay is sort of in the center of the beach.

we went to magens ,2 yrs ago and to cinnamon last year, bus stopped at trunk looked crowded so we asked him to take us up to cinnamon... good choice there were only a few people there. talked to people that went to trunk said it was so crowded and its only a few minutes more up the hill. this yr havenot decides magen get s pretty crowded.. thinking about sapphire this year. :eek:

Megan's Bay is less expensive and takes less time to get to (about 20 min by cab). You can rent kayaks there. The beach is beautiful.

Trunk Bay has great snorkeling, shade available on the beach, and is gorgeous. From Havensight to Red Hook to the beach took us about an hour and half and costs $45 per person round trip. Then you have the $4 admission, and any rentals you need (snorkel equipment, chair)

We drove through Magens late one afternoon (close to dusk) during our land vacation last summer and we weren't impressed...very crowded, lots of locals partying. We loved Sapphire Beach and of course, all of the St John beaches.

Magens Bay or Trunk Bay?

Coney Island or Catalina Island?

Magens Bay was the place to go 10 years ago. Way too crowded for me. I believe that Trunk Bay can also get crowded. If you want a beautiful quiet beach go to Cinnamon Bay on St. Johns.

If you want a beautiful quiet beach go to Cinnamon Bay on St. Johns.

Agreed...another suggestion would be Hawksnest, even quieter than Cinnamon but it doesn't have the facilities that Cinnamon and Trunk have (water sports, food, etc).

my two cents in for trunk bay -- i was there last thursday and it wasn't that crowded at all. my husband and i went on our own, and we did see a few cruise excursion tours there (i was on princess, which no longer docks at havensight, but i think i saw 3 ships in havensight, for a total of 4 cruise ships at St. Thomas), but they tended to stay close to the cay and all left by 1 p.m. I was able to go snorkeling in the a.m. before they arrived and again after they left, and the water was pretty much empty after 1. It's possible that the morning showers kept some people on St. Thomas who might have otherwise considered doing a beach day, but the weather quickly cleared up and we had lots of sunshine on St. John. We really loved it.

Archived