San Francisco luggage dropoff

jlines

Does anyone know how early you can drop bags off at the pier in San Francisco for the Dawn? We are renting a car from SJC and will drop it off at the Hilton embarcadero. We would like to take our time getting back to the pier after dropping off the luggage and then the car. Can you drop the luggage off a couple of hours before checking in? Thanks.

it's street side...pull up right in front of pier 35 and they are there...

We are in Campbell i checked transfers and they were ridiculous..the lowest was south bay shuttle for 89.00 i think.

a rental car and then drop it off at fishermans wharf or hyatt is the best way...

the marriott fishermans wharf was coming in at 129 if you can have someone drop you off the night before if that works better for you!

If someone picks you up...have them slowly drive and then stop just a little past the taxi pick up to the right of the entrance to Pier 35

We live in San Jose and always take Caltrain up to SF all the way to the end of the line (right across from the baseball park...never know what it's name currently is :) ), then catch a cab ($10 to $15 depending on traffic) right to the pier. We've found it's the most painless (and cheapest) way to start our cruises.

We live in San Jose and always take Caltrain up to SF all the way to the end of the line (right across from the baseball park...never know what it's name currently is :) ), then catch a cab ($10 to $15 depending on traffic) right to the pier. We've found it's the most painless (and cheapest) way to start our cruises.

Painless? You must travel very light! :rolleyes:

may make the train very crowded but it is worth the thought. Coming home on a Tuesday morning will insure that there are more express trains, but they will have a lot of commuters on them. It is certainly something we may try. Depends on how light I can pack. When packing for alaska the hiking boots and jacket take more room then the bathing suit and flip flops for the carribean. :)

We did a drive by at 10:30, and it was still pretty hectic with disembarkation. Came back at 11:00 am, and pulled right up to the curb, porter was waiting right there. Left hubby in front (he had just had surgery), with the carry on luggage, and went across the street and parked the car. Smooth!

Thanks for all the replies. We thought about taking the train/cab but found a car for $36 for the 4 of us. Now what I'd really like to know is will the porters take your luggage a couple of hours before you are ready to check in? We've never been to SF before and only have 1 day post cruise so we'd like to see a little bit of the sights before dropping the car off and checking in.

may make the train very crowded but it is worth the thought. Coming home on a Tuesday morning will insure that there are more express trains, but they will have a lot of commuters on them. It is certainly something we may try. Depends on how light I can pack. When packing for alaska the hiking boots and jacket take more room then the bathing suit and flip flops for the carribean. :)

The beauty of leaving from San Jose and going all the way to the King St station(last stop) in SF (and vice versa on the way back) is that you don't have to rush to get your stuff on/off the train...you have lots of time and they have 2 cars on each train with special luggage racks. When coming home on Tuesday, if you catch a train between 10 - 3, no commuters, you practically have the train to yourself.

We also thought about walking around San Francisco before the cruise - staying near Pier 39, which is walking distance form the Pier.

I know now I can drop off our luggage - can we check in and board the ship later? Or board the ship, and walk off to look around for a couple of hours? My husband seems to think it will be a mad house later in the day with long lines to get on the ship.

Do you have to go through the check-in lines twice or can you simply go to the security check-point and board the ship? We should have our ship ID by then if we check in in the morning.

Boarding in SF can be chaotic.

You *will* be able to check-in and get onboard, drop off your hand-luggage in your stateroom, then leave the ship to spend some time touring SF before sailing. When you return to the ship, whether you'll be able to even distinguish between the check-in lines and the re-board line (or whether they are even two separate things) isn't something I know, even having sailed from there. Unless somebody else responds with instructions about this, your best bet is to find a Princess rep standing around and ask. :)

Dress warmly for the wait at the pier! Maybe a turtleneck under and a windbreaker or anorak over whatever you planned to wear. Same drill for touring SF.

Most itineraries from SF have a departure time of 4pm requiring to be on board around 3:00pm. And boarding starts around noon.

Yes -- once you have your card, you can go back instead of boarding. But one has to lug the carry-on with you. When you come back, simply by-pass the check-in line by showing your card to the representatives and join the end of the personal/carry-on security line. And remember that there is also a line at the gangway. If you decide to board first and then leave the ship, there is not much time because you are doing the security and gangway line twice. /Sultan

I know now I can drop off our luggage - can we check in and board the ship later? Or board the ship, and walk off to look around for a couple of hours? My husband seems to think it will be a mad house later in the day with long lines to get on the ship.

Do you have to go through the check-in lines twice or can you simply go to the security check-point and board the ship? We should have our ship ID by then if we check in in the morning.

Archived