Getting to NZ/Australia

margord

I originally booked a trip to Sydney with a couple of days stopover in Tahiti, Papeete. But the more I thought about it, the more I didn't like it. The flight on Air Tahiti Nui from LAX arrives at 10 or 11 p.m. Then the ATN flight from Papeete to Sydney leaves at 3 a.m. I read that Papeete isn't the most desirable part of Tahiti, which meant I'd want to take a ferry or flight to Moorea. More time & hassle with luggage, figuring out transporation, etc. for just a day or two. In the end, I ended up changing my tickets straight from SFO-SYD.

Others may have stopped and done what I was planning in Tahiti and I'd like to hear from them if it really was worth it. I live in California so don't have the added time of coming from another part of the U.S. I'd suggest you check out flights, airlines & costs with stopping in Hawaii. Or, if you only want to rest up for a day, stop at LAX and spend the night at one of the airport hotels.

We are flying Virginia to Sydney for Australia/NZ cruise next February, and will be using HAL air. We are doing a deviation and flying one day early to spend a night in LAX and then on to Sydney. We don't want to be so tired that we miss our day in Sydney!

We are also doing the six day pre-cruise through HAL in Australia. On the way back we are just flying straight through as we can rest when are back home.

Take a look at flights through LAX to AKL - on Air New Zealand these flights leave late at night and arrive early morning in AKL. We had felt not too bad at all with a brief afternoon nap and early to bed the next day. If you continue on to SYD you'll arrive a bit later in the day which could make your transition a bit easier. I think you'd be much further ahead to allow a couple days in SYD beforehand than to break up the flights - get it done and behind you then spend a day or two relaxing in SYD.

Skip Tahiti unless you have the time to grab the ferry and scoot over to Moorea which is beautiful. They have a ferry that travels back and forth but with luggage etc. it could make a joyful experience a hassle. We were very disappointed with Tahiti but loved Bora Bora and Moorea. If you had extra days it would be a great stop. We are going Aust./New Zeland Feb.2008 and going in early to Aust. and spending few post in N.Z.

Archived