Will I Be Disappointed?

I understand that RCCL is sending over the Legend to Southampton for the 2005 season of Med cruises. This is just great for me as I hate flying. The trouble is having cruised earlier this year on the brand new Jewel am I going to be disappointed with a 10 year old ship? Does the interior look it's age or has the Legend been refurbished since it was first launched? Any advise/comments

Hi,

I´ve been on the Legend in 1995 and 2003 and on the Jewel in May/June. It´s hard to say if you will be dissapointed and of course I sailed first on the Legend and then on the Jewel.

But what I can do is compare the Legend from when she was brand new like the Jewel today to what she was like last year.

To answer one of your questions first. Yes she has been refurbished and in my eyes they did a great job, I even liked the new cabin design better than the one back in 1995.

In my eyes the Legend does definitely not look old. I liked her as much as the first time. Of course she is smaller than the Jewel and some features are not on the Legend, like Chops and Portofinos, Concierge service / lounge, Seaview cafe....

But there are also some spots I like better on the Legend. I like the Windjammer being in the front of the ship with a great panoramic view. Both sides of the Centrum area are huge glass fronts from bottom to top. Dining room has on both levels huge glass fronts, not just single windows, for perfect views. I could go on with pro and cons but I love both ships and would go back to the Legend without any doubt.

I have a link to some pics of the Legend on my website (see signature).

Been looking at your pics. Really nice. Notice you have been on lots of cruises hence your user name I suppose. I have a lot of catching up to do. Only been on 2. Do you live near the Meyerwerft shipyard I wonder? Is that how you got the pics of the Jewel?

Thank you, I´m still in the progress of bringing my website together. It´s my first try in doing something like this but a nice hobby. I live about 1,5 hours drive from the Meyerwerft shipyard. It´s a really interesting place. After I knew that I would be on the Jewel this year I started to inform myself about the ship and got hooked :D.

So I drove up there for the outdocking and the transfer to the North Sea, which happened around 3:00am. But even at this time it was great with thousands of people watching. I wouldn´t want to have missed it.

I hope you enjoy the Legend as much as I did.

Not actually booked it up yet. I was just testing the water so to speak because I believe thet Princess cruises are operating out of Southampton starting next year as well. And theres another question. How does RCI compare to Princess. I have been looking at all the relevant threads about that and my conclusion is that they are pretty much the same. Both have for and against them. So I suppose it's just a matter of which one can give the better deal although I would like to stay with RC and try and build up my loyalty in the C & A.

Sorry I can´t help you on this one, as I never sailed on princess. I was always interested in princess too, especial for their exotic itineraries, like Australiaa, New Zealand, South Sea. But unfortunately they seem to be not very interested in customers in Germany and don´t even respond emails or send out brochures.

We were on the Legend 3 weeks ago for our 10th cruise. We've been on brand new ships, but I have to say the Legend is one of my very favorites. It's 9 years old but it is in fine condition. I didn't see anything that looked worn. We really liked the layout. The crew was so friendly and eager to serve.

We thought our outside cabins made the best use of space we've ever had. There were lots of storage spots and lots of mirrors.

It doesn't have some of the things that the newer ships have such as Chops and Portofino restaurants and ice-skating. But that didn't matter to us.

I'd go on the Legend again in a heartbeat.

Hi Blackpool Belle

I can help you with both queries. We sailed on Legend of the Seas in 2001 and still think it is one of the best ships we have been on. The layout is great and there is no way that it looks it's age. We have sailed with Royal Caribbean six times now and the C&A benefits are definitely worth building on. We have been on Legend, Brilliance x 2, Serenade, Jewel and Splendour.

We sailed on Adonia last year which is changing it's name back to Sea Princess next year operating out of Southampton and have to say that Legend of the Seas beats it hands down for most things.

I suppose it's all a question of taste but go with Royal Caribbean if you can, it's the best! :D

Hi Blackpool Belle

I can help you with both queries.

We sailed on Adonia last year which is changing it's name back to Sea Princess next year operating out of Southampton and have to say that Legend of the Seas beats it hands down for most things.

I suppose it's all a question of taste but go with Royal Caribbean if you can, it's the best! :D

I dont think that ship is part of the Princess Cruise Line fleet.

Princess used to be a lot more expensive than they are today, so they developed a passenger base of older, more affluent people than the average traveler. As their fleet has expanded, cruise prices have become more competetive with the other lines, drawing lots of different passengers. Their activities have shifted somewhat as well, to accomodate a younger , fun loving crowd. ( I love the addition of the big cinema screen poolside for nightly "Movies under the Stars." ) I think you will find a wee bit more reserved atmosphere aboard a Princess ship, vs RCI, and will be pleased with either.

Thanks to Scottish lass & Culligan girl for your imput and helpful comments.

You can bet we end up on the Legend. In 2003 we were on the Grandeur and I think that the legend is the same category/class as that.

In the meantime I am off to York this Sunday for a few days and then it's Scotland more towards the end of August. Then it's a long drag/winter until I can sail again.

Archived