Fort Zachary Taylor Beach?

tiggrbaby

The beach isn't usually that empty. The park is a favorite place for watching the sunset if you are not big on the circus-like festivities of Mallory Square.

I just saw on keysnews.com that they have begun chopping down and mulching the Australian pines at the park. This is a crying shame. They bring so much shade to the picnic area and sound wonderful when the wind whispers through the needles.

I don't know if there is a plan to replace the trees with another kind of tree, perhaps a hardy native species, or just to leave the picnic area open to the sun. Gosh, that would be a great loss. I'm really glad I have visited many times when the park was in its former condition.

They are getting rid of the Austrailian pines and replacing them with a native species. This is going to save them $$$ in the long run because the pines don't help keep the sand there. They are always having to buy and replace the sand.

Yes Fort Zach is walking distance from the pier. Trust me, you'll see it as soon as you get off.

Can someone give me the exact walking directions?

Sure, just walk down Whitehead St (or Duval) until you come to Southard, turn right on Southard and it will lead you right into Fort Zachary Taylor State Park.

It will cost $1.50 pp as pedestrians to enter or $6.00 for an automobile with 2 persons.

Mike:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am actually getting married at Ft. Zachary in January. My fiance and I just did a souting trip on Enchantment of the Seas (ship we are taking when we get married) and stopped in Key West to check everything out. Ft. Zachary still looks great. The are done cutting the trees down for the year and will cut down about 10 a year for the next 10 years. Honestly, you really couldn't even tell. The area they cut down is right by the point and they did so to add a ton of sand from the Bahamas. They are suppose to be adding the new sand anytime now before fall. It is still very shaded and is a great beach to go to. :)

Archived