Smoking on cruiseships

Smartcookie

Excellent post by "from the desert" I am a non-smoker and am very opposed to and turned off by smoking. I can tell you from a healthcare and heart healthy standpoint it is just about the worst thing a person can do for their health and I cannot understand why anyone would care to smoke. That said, I have friends and family who are smokers and certainly don't try and avoid them. I also agree that most smokers would refrain from smoking at certain times if they were asked politely in a friendly manner. The flip side is that I would like to see the cruise lines enforce the rules for those smokers that show a complete disregard to the rules such as the table next to us in the non smoking restaurant on our last cruise that had 4 people smoking. It does seem that the cruise lines try to avoid conflict which results in many of the rules not really being enforced (chairs, smoking, dress code, etc)

[QUOTE]'England these days is much like the USA and smoking is banned in all restuarants pubs etc'

This is incorrect. The ban on smoking in public places in England comes into force in the UK on July 1st 2007. A number of pubs do ban smoking already as do most restaurants, public buildings, trains, buses, etc but this is entirely the choice of the proprietor / owners. This legislation was enacted in Scotland last year. The Republic of Ireland enacted a ban on smoking in public places, e.g. hotels, pubs, restaurants, public buildings as long ago as 2004 (maybe 2003?) and is strictly enforced. We travel to Spain/ Greece / Greek Islands at least four times a year and smoking is not banned anywhere and cigarettes cost at least 60% less than in the UK where they are very heavily taxed.

[quote name='Smartcookie']

My son has severe asthma, there is no way he would last a week in a smoke infested cabin without serious side-effects.

Luckily we haven't had that problem on a cruise, but we did in a hotel once and they moved us to a clean smelling room. If that did occur on a cruiseship and the ship were full, there would be a problem.[/quote]

Hi Smartcookie - This is my first cruise and my daughter is asthmatic. I was wondering about the smoke issue in rooms and glad to see your son has not suffered any side-effects. Do you do/bring anything special like an air purifier? Cruising and asthma are new to me so I would appreciate any tips if you have them and don't mind sharing. Thanks, in advance!

[quote name='boaterette']Everyone does ralize that they are sailing on a ship that is contributing to the pollution problem which in turn is affecting everyones health.[/quote]

And if we could all stop breathing for an hour, think how much less CO2 we would generate!!;)

Hi Folks,

I have had a written relpy from Princess as regards smoking on there ships in UK waters, the law covers cruise ships, however all cruise lines appear to be waiting to see what each other will do. Princess is taking advise and watching.

yours Shogun

I've done over 40 cruises. Tell me, the majority of smokers only smoke in their few designated areas; why, then, do non-smokers decide they can sit any place they want (mainly the pool area) and GLARE at the smokers in their designated area. If you don't want to be near the smoke, sit some place else and stop complaining. I must say this board sounds like a soap opera. Everyone enough. Nothing is going to change.

[quote name='elou']I've done over 40 cruises. Tell me, the majority of smokers only smoke in their few designated areas; why, then, do non-smokers decide they can sit any place they want (mainly the pool area) and GLARE at the smokers in their designated area. If you don't want to be near the smoke, sit some place else and stop complaining. I must say this board sounds like a soap opera. Everyone enough. Nothing is going to change.[/QUOTE]

Yes please if you want to smoke sit some place else.

[quote name='lawyerrose']Perfume is very offensive to many people. How fair is it that the non-perfume-wearing people have to live with the horrible smell of all the perfume-wearing people all over the ship (including the rooms, where it lingers?)[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]No offense, but the odor of perfume does not cause cancer. Smoking does, and second hand smoke is just as dangerous.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='IrisBob'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=royalblue]No offense, but the odor of perfume does not cause cancer. Smoking does, and second hand smoke is just as dangerous.[/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

So does air pollution. Cruise ships contribute to the pollution. So by taking a cruise you are endorsing air pollution and are also causing cancer. One vice is as bad as the other.

DH & I are non-smokers. However, when we go into a tavern (our 2 daughters sing in an area band that perform around Racine) we do ingest 2nd hand smoke. It's unavoidable. We know there will smokers there and opt to go inside anyway. I am thankful DH & I don't battle with smoking addiction, but I don't look at smokers as inconsiderate, rude, castouts. They have the right to choose to smoke, just as I have the right to choose not to go into a tavern where there is smoke.

I sympathize with people that have athsma or other health issues that cause second hand smoke and perfume and other things to impact their health when they are out. However, we all have circumstances that dictate times in our lives.

Non-smoking areas are wonderful and DH & I take advantage of them whenever possible. However, if we are around smoke, I just go home and wash all our clothes after the night is over. Someday we may end up with cancer caused by second hand ingestion. However, I'm not about to "force" my non-smoking preference on the smokers. I approve of the many limitations in the work environment and in restaurants because people have to work and enjoy eating out and shouldn't have to take in second hand smoke when they don't have the option of getting away from it.

I hope our small little inside cabin won't be saturated with the smell of smoke next month. I choose to trust that Princess attempts to clean the cabins completely between each passage. However, if there is a problem, I will request they come in and try to freshen the room up again. Beyond that, I don't expect more. Do I like being on a balcony and having smoke from the next cabin's balcony float over to where I am? No...I don't like it, but if I were a smoker, I'm sure they don't like being condemned for a habit that they know darn well isn't good for them but choose to do anyway. They do not carry the plague, for Pete's sake.

Can't we all just get along? People with health issues need to guard and protect their health. However, they should not be able to dictate what others do.

Just my 2 cents worth and that won't by a whole heck of a lot of popcorn, ya know?

--Jean

[quote name='luvthis']DH & I are non-smokers. However, when we go into a tavern (our 2 daughters sing in an area band that perform around Racine) we do ingest 2nd hand smoke. It's unavoidable. We know there will smokers there and opt to go inside anyway. I am thankful DH & I don't battle with smoking addiction, but I don't look at smokers as inconsiderate, rude, castouts. They have the right to choose to smoke, just as I have the right to choose not to go into a tavern where there is smoke.

I sympathize with people that have athsma or other health issues that cause second hand smoke and perfume and other things to impact their health when they are out. However, we all have circumstances that dictate times in our lives.

Non-smoking areas are wonderful and DH & I take advantage of them whenever possible. However, if we are around smoke, I just go home and wash all our clothes after the night is over. Someday we may end up with cancer caused by second hand ingestion. However, I'm not about to "force" my non-smoking preference on the smokers. I approve of the many limitations in the work environment and in restaurants because people have to work and enjoy eating out and shouldn't have to take in second hand smoke when they don't have the option of getting away from it.

I hope our small little inside cabin won't be saturated with the smell of smoke next month. I choose to trust that Princess attempts to clean the cabins completely between each passage. However, if there is a problem, I will request they come in and try to freshen the room up again. Beyond that, I don't expect more. Do I like being on a balcony and having smoke from the next cabin's balcony float over to where I am? No...I don't like it, but if I were a smoker, I'm sure they don't like being condemned for a habit that they know darn well isn't good for them but choose to do anyway. They do not carry the plague, for Pete's sake.

Can't we all just get along? People with health issues need to guard and protect their health. However, they should not be able to dictate what others do.

Just my 2 cents worth and that won't by a whole heck of a lot of popcorn, ya know?

--Jean[/quote]
Just reading the tavern part. We live in NJ and the best thing they did was pass a law barring smoking in the taverns. Before passage and up until it took effect last year, all were complaining about lost revenue etc. The places are probably more crowded now!! The nonsmokers go more now and the smokers go outside to smoke. Best of both worlds. Most restaruants/taverns are redecorating too. No more yellowed walls and smell of stale smoke.

[quote name='from the desert']No matter what anyone writes on these boards no one is going to change another posters mind with what they feel is their right. In actual fact this issue is non-relevant on the Princess boards since smoking is allowed in Cabins, balconies, bars, one side of the pool decks, etc.

Those who smoke will continue to do so, hopefully, being aware that others are not pleased when they do so and will be as courteous as possible and abide by the non-smoking restrictions as posted. No butts or ashes over the side of the ship, either. Also, sorry to report, but many smokers book outside balcony cabins just so that they won't smoke inside the cabin since they have been "trained" to head outside to smoke. Maybe not fair for the non-smokers next door but perfectably within their limited rights.

Non-smokers can express to their neighbors that smoking does bother them and hopefully a resolution that helps both parties can be reached. Non-smokers should also refrain from being rude, obnoxious, and abusive when they choose to be in areas where smoking is allowed. My absolute pet peeve is when I hear parents telling a child how horrible and disgusting a person is for smoking, not educationally but just for spite and vindictiveness.

Life is made up of compromises. When we choose to be on a ship with limited area for all passengers it would be nice if people could just get along and stop being rude and down right mean to each other. We all choose to cruise on Princess, which allows smoking, so we all just need to deal with the issue in an adult manner.[/quote]

This is the most reasonable statement I've seen on the issue. It does seem sometimes that smokers have become victims of a new and vicious bigotry. Simple consideration and good manners--from both sides--will make cruising more pleasant for all of us.

[quote name='First RC cruise']This is the most reasonable statement I've seen on the issue. It does seem sometimes that smokers have become victims of a new and vicious bigotry. Simple consideration and good manners--from both sides--will make cruising more pleasant for all of us.[/QUOTE]

I would agree to a point - but there is nothing reasonable about gasping for air. This is not bigotry. It is fear and pain. I love to cruise. I would love to cruise without fear and pain - on Princess.

[quote name='mcubed']Hi Smartcookie - This is my first cruise and my daughter is asthmatic. I was wondering about the smoke issue in rooms and glad to see your son has not suffered any side-effects. Do you do/bring anything special like an air purifier? Cruising and asthma are new to me so I would appreciate any tips if you have them and don't mind sharing. Thanks, in advance![/quote]

Hi! My son has cruised 7 times, I would say half the time with an opening window (balcony) but several times in inside cabins, and luckily we've never had a problem with smoke in the cabin. I only bring his albuterol inhaler (of course) and his asthma was no worse at sea than at home. He generally needs a few puffs every night even at home, and it was the same on the cruise.

We have had the problem in a hotel, and they moved us, the smell was so bad my son had an asthma attack. If I did get a really smelly cabin on a cruisehip, I would have to be moved, it's not a matter of aesthetics but of his health.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T FORGET THE ALBUTEROL, I CAN ONLY IMAGINE HOW DIFFICULT IT MIGHT BE TO GET ONE PRESCRIBED ONBOARD OR IN PORT, ESPECIALLY IF YOUR CHILD IS GASPING FOR AIR!

[quote name='sept10dsm']Just reading the tavern part. We live in NJ and the best thing they did was pass a law barring smoking in the taverns. Before passage and up until it took effect last year, all were complaining about lost revenue etc. The places are probably more crowded now!! The nonsmokers go more now and the smokers go outside to smoke. Best of both worlds. Most restaruants/taverns are redecorating too. No more yellowed walls and smell of stale smoke.[/QUOTE]

They have talked about banning smoking in taverns and I think there are a few counties in Wisconsin that have implemented that. However, it is a fact that many smokers equate a drink with a cigarette. Just like many smokers equate finishing dinner with a cigarette. I'm always pleased when my daughters sing in a club that has a good filtration system and fan. It helps a bit. Since we're the proud parents of Racine's "singing sisters" we tolerate the smoke, etc. to share in the special moments of our girls lives. It really is a chuckle, though. I'm a firm believer in designated driving, so there I am...not smoking & drinking a diet soda. Heck, I don't tell "raw" jokes or say "naughty" words, either. Ha!

BTW: Moment of bragging...my one daughter will be singing the National Anthem at Miller Park for a Brewers game in June this year. Last year she sang at Miller Park on Palm Sunday in front of 27,500 fans. She & I got see and experience the underground tunnels and authorized personnel only areas of this great ball park. I even got to stand on the field near home plate as she sang. Wow! Was that a moment or what!!

--JEan

--Jean

[quote name='from the desert']Just Curious...

Do non-smokers only "hang out" with non-smokers? I sometimes get the idea that many non-smokers judge who they will associate with by whether the other person smokes or not. I never smoke around people that I personally know who cannot tolerate cigarette smoke, would never smoke in someone's home, would not smoke on a tour if others did not, etc.

I believe smokers are more considerate than non-smokers believe they are. We don't smoke inside buildings unless we have express permission to do so, we usually smoke outside away from people who would think it offensive, many of us do not smoke in our own homes or automobiles so that we won't be in confined spaces when we do smoke.

I'm sorry that many of you have had to endure disrespectful smokers, but in the grand scheme of things, all of us have had to endure those individuals who show little respect for others whether smoking is involved or not.

I wouldn't be opposed to smoking and non-smoking rooms, being restricted to certain times when I could smoke on my balcony (within reason), having certain bars on the ship smoke free. But, until the cruise lines make those decisions and I then have the decision to sail with them or not I will abide by the "designated" smoking area on a ship. Non-smokers also have choices within the current "RULES" on a ship and can choose to sail or not to sail knowing full well that smoking is allowed.

If I'm on my balcony smoking just ask me nicely to refrain when you are using yours and I will stop. Coughing or weezing on the other side of the wall is "not asking nicely" it's immature. Let's try and be sensible adults here, not act like children.[/quote]

Smoking is a health issue to people that do not smoke.

How do you keep the smoke on the smoking side only?

Smoking is also a safety issue on any ship.

I have nothing aganist smokers just the smoke.

What right do smokers have to expose me to their toxic smoke?

So if I turn my nose up at you while your smoking it's nothing aganist you, just the smoke and stink:)

The hazard of fire on board a ship is a very valid concern. One cigarette dropped from the side of the vessel, with the assumption that it will hit the water, scares the heck out of me. It has been clearly communicated about the danger of cigarettes and fire. I choose to believe that smokers are abundently aware of that danger. However, I also know that many smokers do not think twice about dropping a used cigarette down on the ground and stepping on it with their shoe and walking away, leaving it as litter on the ground. Unfortunately, I also regularly see smokers throwing their used cigarettes out their car window while they are still lit.

Uggh...don't want to think about cigarettes and fire on a ship. I guess it only takes one smoker to forget and it could cause a fire. Fires happen when people fall asleep with a lit cigarette, too.

Bottom line, I'm glad my DH & I are non-smokers. I respect the rights of everyone to make their own choices, but if you are a smoker, please be careful whether you are on a ship, in a car, at a restaurant or bar, or just inside your home or apartment. FYI: I also worry about people that enjoy lit candles in their home. That can be very dangerous, as well.

--Jean

[quote name='Smartcookie']Hi! My son has cruised 7 times, I would say half the time with an opening window (balcony) but several times in inside cabins, and luckily we've never had a problem with smoke in the cabin. I only bring his albuterol inhaler (of course) and his asthma was no worse at sea than at home. He generally needs a few puffs every night even at home, and it was the same on the cruise.

We have had the problem in a hotel, and they moved us, the smell was so bad my son had an asthma attack. If I did get a really smelly cabin on a cruisehip, I would have to be moved, it's not a matter of aesthetics but of his health.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T FORGET THE ALBUTEROL, I CAN ONLY IMAGINE HOW DIFFICULT IT MIGHT BE TO GET ONE PRESCRIBED ONBOARD OR IN PORT, ESPECIALLY IF YOUR CHILD IS GASPING FOR AIR![/quote]

Thanks, Smartcookie. I am very glad your son has been able to enjoy the cruise all 7 times with no ill effects. I will be packing the albuterol for sure (and probably a backup, too). I appreciate you taking the time to get back to me. I am glad I don't think I will have to worry too much about her having an attack!

[FONT=Arial]Gee, I must be one of the luckiest non-smokers ever,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]I have never been left gasping for air, sat across the ship and had smoke drifting 30 metres into my face sat on my balcony and had to move because of the stink from next door.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Could this be that perhaps, just perhaps I keep away from smoking areas? I figure that most non-smokers on this thread are being so melodramatic they should be on stage.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Come on live and let live. In this country we collect 6 billion in tax from smoking and pay out 1.7 billion in smoke related illness, reckon that’s a good deal for us taxpayers. [/FONT]

[quote name='tenpin'][FONT=Arial]Gee, I must be one of the luckiest non-smokers ever,[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]I have never been left gasping for air, sat across the ship and had smoke drifting 30 metres into my face sat on my balcony and had to move because of the stink from next door.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Could this be that perhaps, just perhaps I keep away from smoking areas? I figure that most non-smokers on this thread are being so melodramatic they should be on stage.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Come on live and let live. In this country we collect 6 billion in tax from smoking and pay out 1.7 billion in smoke related illness, reckon that’s a good deal for us taxpayers. [/FONT][/quote]

Great post with a true Brit perspective. I often wonder how the hell the country is going to manage once all the smokers give up and the treasury is billions short in it's taxes. You're one of the very few I've heard admit that the taxes gained from cigarettes far outweigh the costs of treating smokers.

[quote name='tenpin'][FONT=Arial]Gee, I must be one of the luckiest non-smokers ever,[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Come on live and let live. In this country we collect 6 billion in tax from smoking and pay out 1.7 billion in smoke related illness, reckon that’s a good deal for us taxpayers. [/FONT][/quote]

SURE I believe you are a nonsmoker. Just as I would believe the sky is falling chicken little :p

Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's of course...the problem that I think keeps this issue alive is that it is impossible for both sides to "win" and people's health, lives and comfort are at stake (on both sides). Tobacco is one of the most addictive substances people use and withdrawal is very difficult for many people. Or they don't want to stop; some people enjoy it. It's not the only habit people indulge in despite likely premature health failure; but it's the only one I know of where they take innocent bystanders with them. Unless of course they are very considerate and don't expose others. I am very grateful to every smoker who falls into this category. I know you are out there and your kindness is appreciated.

BTW smoking costs are almost impossible to estimate because it has now been linked to everything vascular, which since your whole body is fed by blood, pretty much covers all body systems. Subsequently many varied health problems are caused by it; even if they may not be obvious. I'm not sure where you got those stats and that would be great but they seem unlikely.

I still think there should be ENCLOSED smoking areas on ships, one lounge that is 100% smoking and at least one that is 100% non-smoking so non-smokers can enjoy music, drinks and dancing too. Also areas of smoking cabins aft from areas of non-smoking cabins (or one side and one side). A pretty, fun, outside smoking area aft and high from the other areas so the smoke has the best chance of blowing up and back off the ship. The only true compromise is areas where smokers can indulge without glares or complaints, SEPARATE from areas where non-smokers can enjoy activities in smoke free air. Enforcement is key and they must make sure the smoking areas stay closed off from non-smoking areas. JMO.

Archived