HELP! Dinner Attire Advice

cruisebound2007

HELP!

I have never been on a cruise before nor have I ever gone on a vaction solo but this is it. I am leaving in two weeks for a 7 day cruise SOLO. Never having been on a cruise before I am not sure what to pack. I know that I need to bring something for the formal nights but is it pretty casual in the dinner room on the other nights? Is what I have selected to wear during the day be ok for the dinners?

First, no jeans or shorts in the dining room. Other than that, it's fairly casual. Men might wear khaki's and a polo, some might wear casual jackets. Women, casual skirts or capris (my preference). Even the formal nights you don't have to deck out to the nines, unless you want to. A simple black dress for the ladies and slacks and jacket for the men.

Greetings all:

I would clarify that on most ships you cannot wear jeans, shorts, t-shirt and the like in the dining room during dinner hour. They tend to be OK during breakfast and lunch. If in doubt, I suggest going to the website for your cruiseline. All cruiselines have information about dress codes posted somewhere on their sites. Finally, if you don't have time to go to the web, just read the daily newsletter that will be delivered to your stateroom. It should tell you the hours of operation and dress code for each of the ship's eateries.

If you simply MUST wear jeans, t-shirt, shorts and/or flip-flops during the dinner hour, then you should head to one of the casual eateries, not the dining room. Generally there is a come-as-you-are buffet, and on larger ships, some other diner or cafe-type spot.

Happy sailing!

Paul (normally from PA but temporarily in CA)

• 1 month later...

I'm probably going to wear Dockers, polo shirts (or maybe Hawaiian shirts), and my suit jacket for casual nights. I'm planning to buy a white tuxedo jacket and tux shirt to go along with my black pants and shoes for formal nights.

I'm probably going to wear Dockers, polo shirts (or maybe Hawaiian shirts), and my suit jacket for casual nights. I'm planning to buy a white tuxedo jacket and tux shirt to go along with my black pants and shoes for formal nights.

You're good to go.:)

BTW - I bought a slightly off-white dinner jacket at Dillard's for little money. Add a black tie and pocket hanky and 007 would be proud!

Archived