Any suggestions for Ensenada?

Drew B

Been a few times...

La Bufadora is allright and probably worth the half day it will take. Do your shopping down there, but don't eat....

...come back and get off the bus early. Walk up the main street and when you get to the corner where Papas&Beer is, turn right up the little side street and about a 1/2 block up opposite side of street from Papas&Beer there is a GREAT little hole in the wall tacqueria with a counter to sit at while the family cooks over an open fire behind the counter. The food is clean and fabulous and the beer is cold and inexpensive.

Also, DO NOT book the La Bufadora tour on the ship. Get off and you'll get it for 50% the cost and you'll be on the same bus as those who booked through the ship.

I'm not sure if this counts as Mexican Riviera or not, but I didn't see a Baja California option...

Thanks!

Papas &beers is always pretty good and of course the ancient Hussongs cantina, but for a really great lunch take a cab just out of town on the way to Esotero beach and eat at "La Cueva de Los Tigres (the tigers cave)-seafood and Abalone are incredible, and it's right on the beach!-Great atmosphere, great food and great prices--for dinner in Ensenada the french restaurant "El Rey Sol" is probably the best bet for upscale.

Since we had been to Ensenada before, we did the wine tasting tour. It was a bus ride to a beautiful valley, included a nice informative tour, wine and then tequilla tasing at a lovely winery. At the end, the bus takes you into town where you can shop for about an hour and then they take you back to the ship. Very easy.

We went out to La Boufadora in November and just did the wine tour weekend before last. We enjoyed them both and felt they were both worth the time and effort. If you want to shop, the vendors at La Boufadora are less expensive than in town. If you decide to go to La Boufadora, you can save $10-15 per person by taking the bus at the pier into town and taking their tour. It is done by the same company (Las Dunas Tours) that does the same tours for the cruise ships, but without the ship's mark up.

Again, we also enjoyed the wine tour.

I agree with the La Bufadora recommendations of walking off the ship and taking the little bus into town ( $3 round trip). The guide will tell you about the La Bufordora tour and on the ride out to the site will give you a lot of local information about the crops, the government housing, local landmarks and history, and what to buy and look for. The vendors are like vendors in other countries, they do approach you and they do barter. I have bought several pieces of stained glass to bring home and love it all.

You will also be directed to the local grocery store to buy vanilla and liquor is those are things you are looking for. Best place to buy them....and Gigante is a half block off the main street downtown.

When you get back into town from the bus trip out to La Bufadora don't waste your time getting your free margarita, the most free thing about it is it is free of any tequila.

Or, you can use your coupon for a free bottle of beer. That's what I did. Its hard to water down a bottle of Dos Equis! ;) :D

I agree with those who say to go to La Bufadora, but I would not suggest to get your souvenirs or trinkets there. Prices are higher than a Black cats back at Halloween! :eek: Instead, go see the rocks and water shooting up (as you hear the hiss) and the beautiful scenery nearby when driving in, then purchase trinkets in town. Winery tours are becoming more and more popular as well. Have fun.

Archived