Anyone Ever Have A Problem Taking Their Children Out Of School?

t968

A lot of children are home schooled and on their own schedule and some schools here observe a "year round" schedule allowing weeks off throughout the calendar year so you may be giving the stink-eye to some poor family who is on vacation as legitimately as anyone else.

Two more things. 1. We were all a child at one time and we all acted like one too. 2. If you want to avoid children entirely then you are on the wrong planet! ( See #1 ) :D

A lot of children are home schooled and on their own schedule and some schools here observe a "year round" schedule allowing weeks off throughout the calendar year so you may be giving the stink-eye to some poor family who is on vacation as legitimately as anyone else.

Of course, and those are exceptions. But that doesn't mean people don't plan vacations thinking, "The kids will be in school during this time, this should be a quiet cruise." If you think they don't, and they're not miffed when the place is overrun by kids who are supposed to be in school, I have a bridge for sale.

Two more things. 1. We were all a child at one time and we all acted like one too. 2. If you want to avoid children entirely then you are on the wrong planet! ( See #1 ) :D

:rolleyes:

1. Yes, we were all children once. I can tell you with absolute certainty that every vacation my parents took us on was during school holidays.

1 a. The people acting like children in these cases are the parents!

2. I HAVE kids. I'll be traveling with kids. (During school summer break!) But we've all been places where we've gone expecting adult company and have had to put up with people bringing kids. In the best cases they're well behaved and enjoyable to be around. In many cases they're simply an intrusion.

And if I may add:

3. I'm pretty sure most of the people who've commented that it's wrong to take kids out of school for vacations have kids.

." If you think they don't, and they're not miffed when the place is overrun by kids who are supposed to be in school, I have a bridge for sale.

:rolleyes:

1. Yes, we were all children once. I can tell you with absolute certainty that every vacation my parents took us on was during school holidays.

1 a. The people acting like children in these cases are the parents!

2. I HAVE kids. I'll be traveling with kids. (During school summer break!) But we've all been places where we've gone expecting adult company and have had to put up with people bringing kids. In the best cases they're well behaved and enjoyable to be around. In many cases they're simply an intrusion.

I realize there are people everywhere who are miffed when children are around. Like I said a few posts ago...I'm not stupid.

1 a. Opinion stated as a fact.

Delivering the "stink-eye" when you don't know what the sitiuation is could be considered rude by a lot of people. Rude adults, now there's a fun time!

As long as it's not an adult only arena then sorry but it is incorrect to expect adults only. No matter what you had hoped for or expected.

We have taken the children out of school almost every year for vacations and have never had a problem. I try to plan our trips around holidays so we can incorporate the holiday time with the vacation and not have to take as much time out from school. This past year I went by the previous year's school calendar when booking our vacation over Christmas. The problem came when the school change the calendar right before the beginning of the school year so my kids still ended up missing some days. So much for my trying to not miss any school days.:( Any way, I normally let the teachers know at the first teacher conferences that the kids will miss school and when. I then let the school now a couple of weeks ahead of time and remind the teachers so the kids can get their homework ahead of time. I have not had any teacher give me any problems over this. DS(12) is a straight A student and DD(10) is an A/B student. If the kids were struggling I would not try to plan anything during the school year. However, with them doing as well as they are in school I do not have a problem with them missing a couple days to spend some quality time with their family.:)

I find that our vacations add to their well roundedness and education just like participating in basketball, soccer, and dance. If they were struggling in school I would make them cut back in these activities too. But they have proved their ability and yearning to do the extra activities and the vacations during the school year - so I have no qualms about taking them out of school.:) Hope this helps you.

To the "why are all these kids on my cruise" folks out there - get with the times. I supervise a staff of 15. Of the 15, 10 have school-aged children in a total of 8 local school districts (plus my DD's makes 9). Of the 9 school districts NONE have the same vacation schedule. "Spring break" lengths ranges from my DD's school (1.5 days off March 8 and 9), to 6 days off (April 6-13). Spring break dates range from March 8 through May 3rd!

To the "can I take my kids out of school" question - the answer is:

1. check your school district's policy PRIOR to booking
  2. if the school disctrict says NO, either change schools to one who will say YES, or plan a different vacation.
  3. if the school district says YES, First decide whether your child can afford to take off and only if he/she can then be certain to follow all of the districts guidelines.

Is is "ok" to take your kids out of school for a family vacation - I say it depends upon your family and your child's situation. DD missed 2.5 days of school over Thanksgiving for our most recent cruise. She had 3.5 days of school off over Thanksgiving - her Uncle would be in port in HI over the holidays so we could have some family time. DD is in 5th grade and reads at a college sophomore level, is getting straight As in honors 6th-grade math, made up all of the classroom work, and did a multi-media presentation on volcanos for science (using video shot at Volcanos NP, and pictures and footage from other family vacations to Yellowstone; Northern CA, Oregon and Washington; and Italy - Vesuvius and Etna).

Sidenote: I would rather see someone pull their kids from elementary school than to dump them off with a babysitter for the week so that they could "get away from the kids" (quote from a co-worker who just came back from a Mexico AI - in front of her 6YO :mad: when I saw her in the store yesterday. Now that is just unforgivable!)

but was told by Teachers and Deans in NYS that the standardized test do not count towards grades and promotion. They are only for the state and school to determine funding. A child can fail miserably and still be promoted. It tells the state at what level children (not a specific child) is learning at. Our school has very good state testing grades. The school 3 blocks from me has a 23% passing for level 3 and 4.

My son has maintained a high level 4 on all of his state tests for the last 3 years.

I am PRO School and I am VERY involved with my children's schools and their education. That being said, if you think your child is ok missing a day or two - do it. Just prepare them they will have work to make up and/or do on the cruise. I make my kids do workbooks and computer games during school breaks and summer vacation. Every nite before bed (on vacation also) they must read a book. After lunch or at some point during the day its a page or two of the workbook. I will do the same when they take off 2 days over Thanksgiving break.

Here's my (very long-winded) take ... I used to be an advocate of never taking the kids out of school for vacation ... but, this past September, I made an exception. Other than two deaths in my family and going out of state for funerals, I had never taken my kids out of school for any reason other than illness. However, this past year, I made an exception.

For three years in a row, we had missed my husband's family reunion (so to speak) in Myrtle Beach. About 20 immediate and extended family members (his mom, dad, grandma, brother and his wife, nephews, cousins, etc.) would book a beach house or two and plan a trip every year, which happened to be when our kids were in school. Yes, they planned it for late Aug or early Sept because the rates were lower. Yes, I would complain every year because we couldn't go. BUT, I could NOT ask 20 other people to pay double the price just so we could go earlier in the year. This past year, they did it again--booked the trip mid-Sept.

SO, this is what I did ... My husband and I live in a rather small farming community and have a great relationship with our kids' teachers and school administration (the principal was actually one of my husband's grade school teachers way back when). So, we made an appt and went in to talk with him. He said the obvious, which was that he preferred they stay in school, but he understood, especially since we had just lost two grandparents in three years and "family time was just as important." He approved their "excused" absences. He said he would not have approved their absences if my kids were struggling in class, which I wouldn't call discrimination. I would hope any parent would NOT take their kids out of school for a vacation if they were struggling--I know I wouldn't even think about it. I happen to be pretty lucky and have two pretty with-it kids.

Their teachers knew from Day 1 of the school year of the planned vacation and had all their paperwork in order for them before they left. Yes, we sat at the beach and did homework every day, and yes, they had to turn it all in their first day back to class. Was it a pain in the neck to sit there and be their "teacher" (i.e., the bad guy) and make them do their homework while they'd rather be playing on the beach? Yep, it sure was, but I told them up front that every day when we came in for lunch, they needed to spend at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours on their homework. I also asked them if they'd rather be at the beach sitting on the deck and listening to the ocean while doing homework or sitting in a classroom in Ohio. Of course, they chose Option No. 1. I added that if they neglected to hold up their end of the bargain, they would never have to worry about it again (i.e., they'd be in a classroom in Ohio). BTW, both boys are still getting excellent marks.

Moral of the story--COMMUNICATION (with school administration and teachers) + FOLLOW-THROUGH (by kids and parents) = APPROVED VACATION DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR :)

This year, we opted to go on a cruise for Spring Break! Woohoo! Only 12 more days!

but was told by Teachers and Deans in NYS that the standardized test do not count towards grades and promotion. They are only for the state and school to determine funding. A child can fail miserably and still be promoted.

That is not necessarily true. In my district, a child who achieves a 1 or 2 on the state tests is automatically enrolled in summer school. Without passing a similar benchmark exam at the end of summer school, they will not be promoted.

Twice this year, families pulled their kids out for vacations during standardized tests. Since the state deems them as "not being in compliance", both of those students are also automatically enrolled in summer school. In one case, the student is a Honors student. Parents knew well in advance when the state tests were and chose to vacation anyway. I have no power in that situation so I try not to let it get to me, but I do feel bad for the students. And I can tell you in both cases, the school does get involved once it is known that a child will be away during a state test.

during testing time, one of the reasons we booked the week we did. The tests were being given when it was cheaper. We are actually paying more to go during the holiday when they would only miss 2 days as opposed to a week or 2 earlier or later when they would have to take off all 5 AND miss tests. I want the schools to get as much money as possible so we can continue art, music and all our other classes to brings arts & entertainment to my kids.

I think with the outings we planned they will get as much of an education (hands on) as they could have gotten in school (in books). I am already (8 months to go) reading them books about the history and animals, flora/fauna, etc. of our ports of call and will continue to, so when we go to the museums & tours they will 1) know what they are looking at and 2) be able to put book learning into actual practice.

I worked for a large school district for many years, at the school and administrative level and I have to clarify something. Some posters here say that when they've taken their kids out of school for vacations, the absences were "excused". I can assure you they were not.

In my school district they allow 5 days of excused absenses per school year for family vacations.

My son will miss 3-1/2 days this November. He'll only be in first grade so I'm not worried too much about him missing a lot. And I have to say the "vacationing during low season" is a valid argument. Not everyone can or can afford to vacation during holidays.

We took DS out of school for a week to go on vacation last November. His teacher was fine with it--he's an excellent student. She made him a packet of all the missed work to complete when we got back. After having to make up all of that work and keep up with the new material, DS made the decision for us when he said 'I had a great time, Mom but let's not do that again". We did it once, for us--it didn't work out. Our next cruise will be during DS spring break next year.:D

It all depends on how the child is doing academically, what grade the child is in, and what commitments the child has (teams, clubs, theatre, etc). Also timing is very important; you would not want your child to miss an important test. So IMHO, with an honest evaluation of your child’s progress and some careful planning, taking a vacation during the school year will not negatively impact your child’s education.

Here we go again.....

The cruise epedemic. They really should immunize against this.

Believe me, I've discussed this at great lengths with many teachers (volunteered on many field trips). The teachers are not worrying about my kids.

They are worrying about the kids who are neglected, ignored, going through family breakdown, depressed, exposed to violence, sex, drugs, bullying......the child with behavioural problems, ADD, hyperactive....

We take our kids out every year. They both have good grades. My daughter graduated elementary school with honors and took home the top award which encompassed academics and attitude and understanding towards others. One of her teachers from grade two cried when she graduated and gave her a scrapbook as a gift to put all her experiences down. She continues to be on honor roll and better yet is becoming this amazing person.

My family has a "no kids left behind" policy too.

The OP is talking about a High School student. Reading about all these Elementary honor students is heartwarming, but none of those tales are helping the OP. High school is very, very different from elementary school.

When someone posts how happy their HS student's eight teachers, along with their guidance counselors and extracurricular club leaders are that their kid missed a week or two of classes mid marking period (marking period = 6 weeks) it will be of assistance to the OP.

DS(12) is in 7th Grade while not in HS he does have 6-7 different teachers and has since last year. I did not have a problem last year or this year pulling him out. Again he is a straight A student. I just let the teachers know at the first teacher conferences and then let the school know 2 weeks ahead time so he could take a form around to all his teachers to collect his homework ahead of time. No problems ever from any teachers or the school.

In New Jersey we have 2 days off for Teachers' Convention in November. I've added on to that, pulling my kids out for a couple days, plus wrapped around a weekend.

Our Easter break is only 3 days. This year I'm taking my child out of school 2 extra days to do the Disney cruise. I would feel bad taking them out an entire week.

Last December, when returning from our cruise, our oldest DD gave a history lesson to the entire sixth grade pod. We spent an afternoon at a indian reservation, walked and swam in a rain forest, toured "Tone" soap factory and visited a local school. She was able to "explain" currency exchange, time zones, and slave issues. My point? You don't have to be in a classroom to learn. Even vacations can be educational, if you do your research. She interviewed the ship doctor and wrote an interesting paper for her reading class. We don't travel in December to avoid crowds or snag a better price. My DH can only vacation the month of December when his place of employment does mandatory updates. He his given the first 3 weeks off, so we have no choice. Not every parent has a job that allows for free time over summer, and yes, family time is very important to us, so we travel quilt free. Janice

My daughter is in 4th grade and I have no problem taking her out of school for vacation. Maybe I will feel different when she is in high school but what I found is that the school work is taught the lowest common denominator. Too bad they don't have advance placement at this level as I feel that my daughter is not being challenged.

I wish they would take all of the teacher conference and other half days that she has and turn them into one extra week off, but I realize in NYS that it is all about the money....too bad

... My point? You don't have to be in a classroom to learn. Even vacations can be educational, if you do your research.

My point, your educational excursion would be just as educational taken during one of the eight weeks students are off from school during the year.

Again, the OP was talking about a HS student missing a week or more of school. I'm still waiting for the post from the HS teacher or counselor applauding HS students missing a week of school.

Once again, not everyone is able to vacation during summer months. This happens to be the busiest time of year at my husbands job and unless its for a funeral/birth of a baby, there is NO vacation time granted. Sorry, I just can't understand why people get so charged over five missed days of school a year. For the adults who always have a comment on kids missing school I have to ask, are you really concerned about my childrens education, or just ticked that you have to travel w/children? Janice

And she said go for it, they learn more on vacation than at school, and, she is not even sending him home his work. (He is an "A" student - he will pick it up when he gets back she said)

I was worried about all the work he is missing and what they would say, but, what the heck, you only live once. We usually cruise in the summer but we are doing a big family birthday this May for my dad.

I hope my 3rd graders teacher feels the same way.

I guess it all depends on the teacher, and the student.

Bon voyage!:)

I'm still waiting for the post from the HS teacher or counselor applauding HS students missing a week of school.

I'm sure there would be many in the inner city schools of D.C., NY, etc. where there are security guards at the entrance doors who would certainly stand up and cheer.:D Just joking.:p

All districts are different, all students are different, all situations are different. I think everyone needs to do what they feel is right for themselves and their own situations. Life is tough enough without having to let a school district run it.;)

. . . . Again, the OP was talking about a HS student missing a week or more of school. I'm still waiting for the post from the HS teacher or counselor applauding HS students missing a week of school.

My nephew - now a Senior at a competitive private high school in Milwaukee - and his family took an 11 day Panama Canal/South American cruise last spring. BIL is a non-tenured instructor at one of the local universities and has VERY narrow "windows of opportunities" that he can be off (when HIS school has off, which does not always correspond to when DN's school is off).

Long story short. DN was allowed the time off school. DN made up missed schoolwork. DN received good marks for the period, got good scores on his ACT, will graduate on-time, has been accepted into the university of his choice, and received glowing recommendations from his teachers.

The world did not stop turning on its axis - DN did not turn to a life of crime (having been de-sensitized to the responsibilities of the need for perfect attendance), the family is still intact!

To the OP - YOU know your child. YOU need to know your child's school's policies for missed time. YOU need to make the right decision for YOUR child.

Archived