How early can we drop luggage?

redrosec

Hi everyone. I an somewhat new here, been lurking awhile and have a question. I will be leaving March 31 on the Noordam for my Honeymoon. This will be our 2nd HAL cruise. We will be taking a red eye into NY and arriving about 8am. Does anyone know if we will be able to go straight to the pier & drop off our luggage? We would like to spend a few hours in the city before getting on the ship. I hope we won't be stuck sitting for hours with out luggage. Thanks.

Rose:o

Passengers will still be disembarking and making their way to ground transportation until at least 10:00-10:30. It's going to be a madhouse if arriving passengers are there then, too.

I would recommend getting there no sooner than 11:00 AM.

Hi everyone. I an somewhat new here, been lurking awhile and have a question. I will be leaving March 31 on the Noordam for my Honeymoon. This will be our 2nd HAL cruise. We will be taking a red eye into NY and arriving about 8am. Does anyone know if we will be able to go straight to the pier & drop off our luggage? We would like to spend a few hours in the city before getting on the ship. I hope we won't be stuck sitting for hours with out luggage. Thanks.

As Ruth said, it's a little early. Pax from the cruise disembarking that day don't finish leaving until 9:30 AM or so. As I recall, the first to disembark, left the ship shortly after 8 AM. I don't know that they'll be able to accommodate your luggage that early. If you pack light, you can just keep your luggage with you and enjoy the city!

Thanks for the responses even though it's not what I wanted to hear. Pack light? ha ha! I don't think I will be able to fit all our clothes in the limit allowed. We will have 6 bags packed to the MAX :eek: I guess we will have to sit with it for several hours at the pier because there is no way we can lug around all those bags in the city. Only 11 days to go. Yeah!

Rose:)

please re-think your cothes. you need half of what you think you need. I guarantee that you will not wear half of what you pack. look at your itinerary. If it has a lot of sea days, remember that you will live in your bathing suit (so all you need are cover-ups during the day). And if it's an extended cruise, you can send your laundry out to be done and then wear your outfits again. if it's a 7-day cruise on HAL, take three short outfits each, some nice clothes for dinner (nice pants/shirt for new Hubby and nice sundress for you...then formal wear if you wish for the two formal evenings on a 7-day cruise). Search the boards for more hints. have a wondeful cruise!

I guess we will have to sit with it for several hours at the pier because there is no way we can lug around all those bags in the city.

Maybe there's a place to drop your luggage while you check out NYC? When we went to Paris in 2005, we had to wait all day to check in at our Marriott property. The Metro station had a place to keep our luggage. It cost a reasonable amount and it seemed safe. It was a locker-type facility. It was very convenient, and I was happy to not have to lug my suitcase with me all day.

Robin

NYC doesnt have lockers after 9/11.

If you go to the pier, tip a longshoreman VERY WELL to take your bags. This will ensure they'll get aboard.

As for carry-ons, you're stuck with them.

They dont start loading until 11.

Frankly, after a red eye, go right to the pier and wait to board. U'll get an early number. Not a heck of a lot ull see in Manhattan at that hour on a weekend.

If you mean that your plane is landing at 8:00a, by the time you claim your bags and get to the pier it will be about 9:30. You may be able to turn them over to a porter then, or you may have to wait a 1/2 hour or so.

As Ruth said, it's a little early. Pax from the cruise disembarking that day don't finish leaving until 9:30 AM or so. As I recall, the first to disembark, left the ship shortly after 8 AM. I don't know that they'll be able to accommodate your luggage that early. If you pack light, you can just keep your luggage with you and enjoy the city!

You're so wrong, new cruisers as you are!

By the time you get to the ship, it's 10:30am, get on board and enjoy lunch at the Lido!!Rgds, Happy Honeymoon!!

please re-think your cothes. you need half of what you think you need. I guarantee that you will not wear half of what you pack. look at your itinerary. If it has a lot of sea days, remember that you will live in your bathing suit (so all you need are cover-ups during the day). And if it's an extended cruise, you can send your laundry out to be done and then wear your outfits again. if it's a 7-day cruise on HAL, take three short outfits each, some nice clothes for dinner (nice pants/shirt for new Hubby and nice sundress for you...then formal wear if you wish for the two formal evenings on a 7-day cruise). Search the boards for more hints. have a wondeful cruise!

They're on a 10-11 day itinerary w/ almost 5 days at sea (2 1/2 on each end) -*some of which are in the not-so-sunny North Atlantic.

And some of us enjoy wearing different outfits every day & evening.

However, the only safe & appropriate place to leave luggage would be at a large hotel. * You could check luggage w/ the bellman (and give him a hefty tip) then go enjoy a breakfast in their restaurant (it's only fair to use their facilities) - then do a little sightseeing/walk and return to the hotel to retrieve the luggage and get a cab to the pier. (Tip both the bellman & doorman generously again)

Thanks Brian. That's probaby what we'll do. Yes, the cruise is 11 nights and we are also spending a couple of days in NYC at the end. So I don't think that 2 bags and a carry on per person is a lot of luggage at all. We will need warmer clothes for NY and I do like to wear a different outfit everyday. Thanks everyone. We will figure it out when we get there.

Rose:)

Rose,

We were on the Noordam last December. We got to the pier a bit before 10 am and gave our luggage to a longshoreman just inside the terminal. There were several carts of bags already, which were being wheeled off towards the ship.

Disembarcation was still under way and boarding had not started. Rather than getting a number and waiting to be among the first on the ship, we walked over to the Y and worked out, then walked to the wine store and stocked up, and returned to the ship about 2 pm. We were on board in about 45 minutes, and our bags were waiting in our stateroom.:)

We tipped the longshoreman, but not extra or excessive. We actually spoke with a HAL representative before leaving the pier, but no one seemed worried or even interested that we checked bags and then left.

You should have no trouble leaving your luggage by 9 am. You might consider a folding luggage carrier for your carryon bags if you sightsee on foot.

Have a great honeymoon cruise.

We arrived in NYC terminal at 9ish one time. They (porters) told us we were early , :rolleyes: , and took our luggage. There was luggage on their cart, It seemed like maybe we were say 4th passengers. So , I would answer yes at least in my experience you can arrive super early and they will take your luggage.

Just my .02: I agree that your luggage will be taken early. When I got off the Noordam in January, there were 3 carts full of luggage sitting on the side waiting to be loaded. There was always a person near it so I wouldn't worry that it might "take a walk," it will be fine. The porters will take it, they want the $. Have a great time!

Catburt,

We walked first to the West Side Y on 62nd Street between Central Park West and Broadway. We then went to 67th Street Wine & Liquor, actually on 68th Street and Columbus Avenue. It was probably one and one-half miles from the store to the pier; we were nearby since we were at the Y. There probably are stores closer to the pier. In any event, we brought a folding luggage carrier with us, strapped on a case of wine, and hiked back to the ship. BTW, no problem bringing a case of wine on board.

Looking at notfortourists.com, there are two liquor stores (they sell wine in NYS) on 9th Avenue between 47th and 48th Streets. This is all we know about them.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the info! We will definately look for one close to the pier - I don't know the area at all is the pier near 9th?

I will need to do a mapquest : )

The terminal is at 711 12th Avenue, between 52nd Street & 55th Street. I did a MapQuest but couldn't copy it here. Go into MapQuest, plug in the terminal address, then do a search for wine stores. There are some within a few blocks.

Or, when you get to the cruise terminal, ask one of the terminal personnel where the nearest store is to buy wine.

Good luck!

I found one, Ray & Frank Liquor Store Inc 706 9th Ave, it notes it is 0.62 miles from the pier - as I am Canadian, not to certain what that represents, but it looks like it's walking distance! Unless I'm advised otherwise...

I found one, Ray & Frank Liquor Store Inc 706 9th Ave, it notes it is 0.62 miles from the pier - as I am Canadian, not to certain what that represents, but it looks like it's walking distance! Unless I'm advised otherwise...

About 1 kilometer..I think

Archived