Suggestions for 19 yr old 1st time cruiser

NthernLgts

I did not mention what I believe is morally right or wrong. I was just telling them to not feel bad that everyone was suggesting that they pay for their son to shack up with his girlfriend. Obviously, that wasn't what their intent was. As a parent, you do have the right to convey your morals to your children. Whether or not they agree or not is another question. I also don't think that you should speak for what those 2 teenagers want to do. Not all teenagers are sexually active.

I never said anything about sex.

I said they'd be happier sharing a cabin.

Above sea levels comments were out of line. What they decide to do with their children is none of your business. !

A) We're not talking about Children. We're talking about adults.

B) It's none of YOUR business, either.

For all YOU know, (prior to the follow-up post), the OP might have just not considered this option. Remember that Above Sea Level posted before the OP's follow-up.

A) We're not talking about Children. We're talking about adults.

B) It's none of YOUR business, either.

For all YOU know, (prior to the follow-up post), the OP might have just not considered this option. Remember that Above Sea Level posted before the OP's follow-up.

Ok, here I go. With all due respect, 19-20 year olds are simply not adults:rolleyes: . Sorry Mikey, not in many meaningful ways. Legally? Ok. From a decision making standpoint? Not in many ways. From a life's experience standpoint? Nope. How many of you in your 30's or 40's are grateful some of the decisions you made in your late teens and early 20's havent come back to haunt you? How many of you made decisions that you regret, decisions that you wouldnt make now? It's not my intent to be critical of young people at all, but part of being a parent is being a realist about where our kids are at in their life's learning experience and trying to help them where we can.

Does anyone have suggestions on activities for 18-20 year old on the Caribbean Princess. We're taking our 19 year old son along this August as a grad present. His g/f will be coming with also, with the DW & g/f getting the balcony cabin, and the DS & I across the hall in an inside cabin. I'm concerned a bit about the age issue as they are too old for tyipcal teen activities but not old enough for some of the adult activities on the ship. Any suggestions to better help them enjoy the trip will be appreciated.

Change your sleeping arrangments. Let them be together, other wise they will have to sneak around. Don't want anyone living on the edge and going overboard in any form. ;)

Does anyone have suggestions on activities for 18-20 year old on the Caribbean Princess. We're taking our 19 year old son along this August as a grad present. His g/f will be coming with also, with the DW & g/f getting the balcony cabin, and the DS & I across the hall in an inside cabin. I'm concerned a bit about the age issue as they are too old for tyipcal teen activities but not old enough for some of the adult activities on the ship. Any suggestions to better help them enjoy the trip will be appreciated.

Our DD is 16 and DS is 19, and have been cruising with us, in their own cabin, since 2002. (For anyone interested - Yes, on other cruiselines one person has to be 21. The way you get around it is you book it with one adult in each cabin, then after you check in, you go to the purser's desk and ask for duplicate card keys. And there you have it - 2 kids in their own cabin.) Sorry, I didn't want to get off the subject as others have. Please don't worry about your DS & his g/f. Although this summer will be our first cruise on Princess, I know there is so much to do on the Ships and other people their ages to meet, that will be in their same situation. My kids have never done the Teen Club on any cruise. They make their own group of friends and hang out playing cards (they often bring a couple of their own decks), games, eating, swimming, etc. Our kids do the excursions with us while in Port, can do whatever they want while at Sea, but always eat dinner with us (sort of our family rule...good time to talk about what they did during the day....people they met....things they saw, etc). They never mind because it's usually the "rule" for most of the other families on board. It's a good thing.... :)

If you haven't already done so, check out your Roll Call on these Boards for the specific cruise you have booked. You'll probably find other families with kids the same age as yours. We found our Roll Call for this summer and found MANY families with kids the same ages as ours. This is a great way to schedule a meet and greet with other CC Members at the beginning of your cruise.

Have a fantastic time and stop worrying. They'll do their own thing and will be fine.

Just curious, are 19 year olds allowed into the bars on ship even if they aren't allowed to purchase alcohol?

Also, as to the girlfriend - HER parents may not be crazy about them sharing a cabin either.

In any event, we have gone from the question which was, will my 19 year old have anything to do on board to a discussion on morals. At the end of the day, to each is own. I consider a 20 year old an adult who is able to make their own decisions, they are not legally gaurded by any means. However, they should respect their parents feelings and input, Especially if they are paying! Princess does let two 20 year olds book the same room, I have successfully done it about a week back.

They will love the cruise! The shows are geared toward a broad audience, as are the comedians. There are spots they can go to enjoy themselves. The key is to remember where you are! Cruisin in paradise!

It will be our 9th cruise, first on Princess.

I saw a copy of Crown's 2006 patters and they had some meet-up sort of activities for 18-21 y.o.for the first 3 days of the cruise.

Then I happened to see another set of Crown's patters for 2007 and couldn't find any mentioning of such meeting at all.

Does Princess still have the meetup for 18-21 y,o. or they stop doing it?

We will be on the Crown in May with our 20 y.o. DD and I thought it would be a great way for her to meet people her age.

Any information from recent Crown's cruisers?

TIA

NthernLgts, Have you checked to see if there is a rollcall for your sailing? If so there maybe others of similar ages sailing and if your son and his gf are interested they moght be able to meet others at the rollcall meet & greet. In any case I'm sure you will all have a great time. Happy sailing! Teri

NthernLgts, Have you checked to see if there is a rollcall for your sailing? If so there maybe others of similar ages sailing and if your son and his gf are interested they moght be able to meet others at the rollcall meet & greet. In any case I'm sure you will all have a great time. Happy sailing! Teri

Actually, I have. One has just started up and it does appear there are a few young people in that age group they can potentially meet. It's ironic, their having a good time was the purpose of this thread. The whole thing of cabins and who sleeps where has not come up once from them. It's a non issue except for some here :rolleyes: . Mom and I made a suggestion and they both were fine with it. In fact, I know they would both be uncomfortable sharing a room. Not because either of them are prudes (theyre not), but because they are respectful 18 and 19 year olds:) .

Way to go, Mom and Dad! Ignore the unwanted parenting advise on this thread, and have a great family vacation. At least you won't have kids kicking the seat and whining, "Are we there, yet?":D

PS. It sounds to me that those two kids are more mature than some of the posters on this thread!

Ok, here I go. With all due respect, 19-20 year olds are simply not adults:rolleyes: . Sorry Mikey, not in many meaningful ways. Legally? Ok. From a decision making standpoint? Not in many ways. From a life's experience standpoint? Nope. How many of you in your 30's or 40's are grateful some of the decisions you made in your late teens and early 20's havent come back to haunt you? How many of you made decisions that you regret, decisions that you wouldnt make now? It's not my intent to be critical of young people at all, but part of being a parent is being a realist about where our kids are at in their life's learning experience and trying to help them where we can.

While this is very true, the process of "growing up" really does go on for quite a while - so then where do you draw that line when someone is an "adult". The legal guideline is probably the best that we have. Does it scare you then that there are many people in their young 20s training to be professionals with very important responsibilities (e.g. to handle the lives of others as doctors)? People in their 20s may make some different decisions than those in their 40s because they're at a different stage of life, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are less responsible or incapable of making the right decision. :)

Anyways, wrt the OP's question, I cruised when I was 19 and 20 and always found something going on to do. And of course, when there wasn't, just relaxing on deck or at the buffet was nice too! There were no meetings for 18-20s on the cruises I was on but meeting some of the older adults was great and having a sibling or friend definitely helps! If he's the kind of person that likes to travel your son will have a great time!

While this is very true, the process of "growing up" really does go on for quite a while - so then where do you draw that line when someone is an "adult". The legal guideline is probably the best that we have. Does it scare you then that there are many people in their young 20s training to be professionals with very important responsibilities (e.g. to handle the lives of others as doctors)? People in their 20s may make some different decisions than those in their 40s because they're at a different stage of life, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are less responsible or incapable of making the right decision. :)

Of course you are correct in the points you are making. The only distinction I would draw is that the legal guideline is only correct in the sense that the government and judiciary do not function very well without a "one size fits all" approach, at least in this regard. Besides, even governments struggles with this very issue, which is why we have one age for being able to sign a legal document and another for being able to have a drink. It doesnt scare me at all that there are 20 year olds training to be doctors. These young people have already largely shown where they are at in life by having the dedication to do what was necessary to get accepted into medical school. Besides, in that instance, there are people more qualified than I making sure they are doing what is required of them once they are actually in medical school.

Archived