Altun ha/ River Wallace vs Chacchoben

Annie44

Anyone have comments? Traveling w/ my parents (70's) and 13y/o. I liked the idea of the river trip to see wildlife but I have read some very bad reviews of it (very hot, overcrowded, no shade, not great guide). Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thank you, Annie

I'm not sure of your geography. Altun Ha is in Belize, and Chacchoben is in Mexico (Costa Maya). I went to Chacchoben and there is plenty of shade, and good guides are available, but there is a big set of steps to the upper temples. Depending on mobility, may not be appropriate for people in 70's. Have not been to Altun Ha.

Just did both of these in Feb, but didn't do the river part. Altun Ha is slightly smaller than Chacchoben. At Altun Ha you can climb to the top of the main temple (which DH did), or wait for the people to come down. Slightly shady, but very HOT and humid (bring water). Nice area outside of ruins where locals sell wood carvings. Chacchoben is a larger area, but more shaded. At the top of the Grand Staircase (31 steps) is the plaza with the major temple, but plenty to see if you don't want to make the climb. You cannot climb any of the ruins here. Took independent tours at both sites, and found the trips very enjoyable. Small groups of around 10, and the guides showed everything from an allspice tree that you could actually smell the spice, to a tree that acts like novacaine when you chew the leaf! Great insight into the history of the people.

Thank you both. I appreciate your comments. We only plan to go to ruins once on our cruise and these two sites were the ones we had narrowed it down to. It is so hard to figure it all out. I really wanted to go to Lamani but I think the time is cutting it too close for comfort. I think I found a place to do just a river boat tour in Belize and then Chacchoben in Costa Maya. Any other helpful hints, pictures or suggestions? Annie

I went to Lamanai also. It took about 6 1/2 hours total but we got a very early start and made it back with an hour to spare. The tour guides are not looking to leave you in the jungle but the time factor is not negligible - it's possible for things to go wrong. Very spectacular tour though.

There are two sets of steps leading to the higher temples at Chacchoben. My group took the smaller one, which I think would be doable by most people, at least with care and a little help. This is a very attractive site, hot but with lots of shade. The entrance area provides pretty reasonable pop and water. You cannot climb the structures but they are nicely laid out and you can get some very nice photos.

Chacchoben is also not too far from the port so it's basically a 1/2 day tour. I had plenty of time to hang around the beach, which is scenic enough if you can dodge the hucksters.

Annie I had the same problem...I found from reviews that Costa Maya is an easier place to easily get to a beach, have a nice NON tour day...

and that a tour of some sort would make Belize more enjoyable

I am booked with Trevor at Smuggler's Run Plantation for a custom day to ruins with a short city tour, then back to the Plantation for a family style lunch under a Palupa....all for price about the same as Carnival. Smuggler's run gets raves (it has horseback riding also)...so I am very excited about this

I have read the recent reviews of the Altun Ha with River and some don't like the longish river ride....as it gets warmer the sun will really fry you. Plus my bf has a boat and we have been on many rivers in Florida, seen gators etc...so it just didn't appeal to me.

The people running the ship's excursions do change ...older reviews of the River trip are pretty good but lately there have been many complaints, especially that the ship tour keeps you at a rather boring, none too clean "resort" to shop/eat/drink longer than some liked.

Lamanai gets great reviews, but my ship isn't offering it and I was a bit nervous to try it with a private guide, as the timing would be very very close. IF your ship/sailing offers Lamanai that has been getting very good reviews

Thanks Lard and Cheri!

That is so funny b/c I have been emailing w/ Trevor @ Smugglers run just today. We are working on putting together something with him also. I must say he is a little pricey. The altun ha he quoted $35pp plus $15pp for transportation and $15pp for lunch. For the river ride (2hrs) he quoted $65pp for 4 and a little less w/ more in our group. $75 to pick up 5 of us seems a bit much. You are so lucky to get to go boating often. I love looking at the wildlife. I would love to see a Manatee and the monkeys. Thanks again, annie

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I just got back from Belize and went to Altun Ha and a jungle river cruise booked through the Grand Princess. It only required moderate activity and someone in their seventies in good health should have no problem. Our river boat was covered, but we saw another boat on the same trip [i assume a different tour company] that was uncovered. I think covered is best as it was about a 2 1/2 tour and would have been hot without the cover. We saw tons of wildlife- dolphins, manatees, crocs, monkeys and all kinds of other animals. The second half of the trip was by air conditioned bus. The roads were very bumpy, but I have back problems and survived the roads just fine. Once at the ruins it is only a short walk. And there are shady places if you get hot. You can climb one of the ruins if you want but many chose not too. It is very steep. I think the trip is worth it as you get alot of interesting scenery and history even if you don't climb the ruins. Our guide was Anthony and he was great, good sense of humor and very knowledgeable in mayan history and finding wildlife along the river.

We stopped in Burrel Boom for lunch, a small locally owned outdoor restaurant along the river. The lady who owns the restaurant lives across the street and has a colony of Black Howler Monkeys that live in the trees in her back yard. She was happy to let us all walk there and watch them.

I really enjoyed this trip and would highly recommend it, but depending on what group you are travelling with I would ask if the boat was covered and would bring some bug repellant. The bugs weren't really bad, but there were a few biting flies along the river. Enjoy!:)

I have been to both ruin sites. I personally think that Altun Ha is a more impressive ruin. A lot of Chacchoben is unexcavated. The bus trip to Chacchoben is a lot smoother. The roads in Belize are very narrow and either unpaved or full of potholes. We booked our shore tour with Carnaval. It was the combo Altun Ha/River Wallace. Our boats were uncovered. They had very deep gunnels, making them hard to get in/out of. It might be difficult for someone in their 70's, but there were deck hands to make sure everyone who needed help got it. I am from Florida, so the wildlife we saw didn't impress me much - kinda like the everglades. Please wear deet insect repellant. I did, but still got bit by a couple of large black flies.

We did the Altun Ha ruins and the River Wallace the first week of Feb. We loved this excursion. It was hot - 110 degrees that day, but the driver of the boat sped up often to cool us down so it really wasn't that bad. We wore hats and brought lots of water, so that helped too. DH is 62, I'm 57, so not youngsters. The reason the boat isn't covered is to allow people to walk from side to side for great views and pictures. It was a comfortable boat and our guide was wonderful. We saw a lot of crocodiles (or aligators, don't remember which one), lots of iguanas, monkeys, and birds. We stopped at a nice little resort for lunch (on our own - quite inexpensive) then went on to Altun Ha. The ruins were great, a very easy walk from the air conditioned bus. We booked this excursion through the Carnival Valor. We'd recommend it to anyone.

We did the Altun Ha ruins and the River Wallace the first week of Feb. We loved this excursion. It was hot - 110 degrees that day, but the driver of the boat sped up often to cool us down so it really wasn't that bad. We wore hats and brought lots of water, so that helped too. DH is 62, I'm 57, so not youngsters. The reason the boat isn't covered is to allow people to walk from side to side for great views and pictures. It was a comfortable boat and our guide was wonderful. We saw a lot of crocodiles (or aligators, don't remember which one), lots of iguanas, monkeys, and birds. We stopped at a nice little resort for lunch (on our own - quite inexpensive) then went on to Altun Ha. The ruins were great, a very easy walk from the air conditioned bus. We booked this excursion through the Carnival Valor. We'd recommend it to anyone.

Archived