Book excursions afternoon vs morning

AK Newbie

First visit/ first time cruisers to AK-June 4 southbound Island Princess.......

our TA suggested booking excursions in the afternoons because rain/fog cancellations may be (?) more likely in the morning? What do experienced cruisers suggest?

WE will probably do whale/wildlife watching in Juneau (want to take the tram to Mt. Roberts-fog not a good option there either)

want to take some option of the white pass railroad in Skagway

may do some kayaking in Ketchikan

thanks for any help or suggestions.;)

Fog can happen anytime. Instead, you may want to book your times that make the best use of your schedule, and hope for the best weather. :) Decide on Mt. Roberts, when in Juneau, and just walk up and purchase a ticket at that time, not prior.

I have not "been there, done that", maybe the experts can answer this....but it was my understanding that it was better to book the earlier excursions because if there is fog, they may be able to reschedule you later in the day. If you have the later excursion and it gets cancelled, then you lose the oportunity. Humbly defers to the experts.............

i had fog on my morning trip on the skagway train. my picture are better during that time..anyone can get good pictures when the sun is out!

i have to agree with BQ, do what fits your plans. you can't tell what the weather will do, no need worrying about it. we had rain/sleet in juneau, fog in skagway (beautiful by 10am), heavy rain in ketchikan..sun in glacer bay and sea days. heavy fog one night at sea. just can't tell from one day to the next.

I have not "been there, done that", maybe the experts can answer this....but it was my understanding that it was better to book the earlier excursions because if there is fog, they may be able to reschedule you later in the day. If you have the later excursion and it gets cancelled, then you lose the oportunity. Humbly defers to the experts.............

With the explosion of Alaska visitors, it is rare there is open space for rebooking flights. In the past, yes very possible, but not now.

I try to book for my convenience. I don't want to be up at 5:00 in the morning to make an 8:30 tour. I usually tried for around 10 or 10:30, if that wasn't possible, then afternoon around 2 or 2:30. Depending on your time in port. We arrive in Juneau at 2:00 pm, so looked at only afternoon tours. But it depends more on you, if you don't mind rising early, and the ship arrives in port early, go for it. I wouldn't take a chance that anything would be available when you get there. It might be, but if it's not then you don't get to go at all, plus the lines on my last cruise were out the door of the excursions office. People were standing in line for like two hours to only be told the tour they wanted was sold out. I don't sail until August, but I've already booked all the excursions I really wanted to do.

thanks for the advise.....booking excursions now...have heard from this board that things do fill up quickly......will book what we REALLY want to do and have a plan b for if anything gets cancelled.....there's so much to do that I don't think that will be a problem

can't wait to see Alaska and go cruising:)

• 4 weeks later...

I have booked most of my sightseeing for the morning...That way we could lunch on the boat (money saver), rest if needed and then go explore on our own in the afternoon... I figured I would have a better idea of where to venture off to after being in a shuttle to my morning destination... not sure if my plan is going to work or not but thats what I have decided so far!!

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is the Summit train/bus excursion... I would like to sleep in alittle that day! and the afternoon ride seems appealing (also less chance of fog???) but then do I do the train or the bus first??? soo many options!

(oh and we arrive at all our ports at 7 or 8 am)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived