Poll: Should cabins/balconies be all smoking cabins/balconies?

Should smoking be permitted in all cabins/balconies?  

546 members have voted

1. 1. Should smoking be permitted in all cabins/balconies?

• Smoking should be permitted in all cabins/balconies
    • There should be designated smoking & non-smoking cabins/balconies.

I think smoking should be allowed in all cabins, as long as they have some sort of air cleaning system. However, balconies are tougher. You would think that it should be ok to smoke on the balconies since they're outdoors, but cigarette smoke travels and it does hinder other's ability to enjoy their balcony as well. I guess the only compromise would be to smoke on your balcony when none of your neighbors are out there.

I think it would be impractical for the cruise line to designate specific non smoking cabins, because then some people would only have access to certain cabins and logistically it would be very complicated.

Unfortunately, smoking restrictions in cabins just don't work. We sailed on the old NCL's Norway in 2000 and they had designated all cabins on the Starboard side non smoking. It was wonderful, but it didn't work in the long run. Carnival had a strict non-smoking ship that didn't work either. I have a very bad allergy to cigarette smoke, and when someone smokes on their balcony and the smoke invades my balcony, I have to go inside. If I don't, I will really, really suffer the rest of the day. At least cruise lines have designated one side of ship's public places as non-smoking. And thank goodness the dining rooms are now non-smoking. That should satisfy all. As a former smoker (I quit a long, long time ago), I do understand how difficult it is to have to refrain from smoking all day. So the designated public smoking areas is a boon to cruisers - smokers and non-smokers.

We were just on Mariner and the guy next to us was smoking cigars all week. We couldn't go out on our balcony most of the time because the smell was so offensive. If it were up to me, the ships should be entirely non-smoking, but I know that'll never happen......

We were just on Mariner and the guy next to us was smoking cigars all week. We couldn't go out on our balcony most of the time because the smell was so offensive. If it were up to me, the ships should be entirely non-smoking, but I know that'll never happen......

Never say Never ! :D

Never say Never ! :D

Never say Never is correct! Ireland was the first country in the world to ban smoking in the workplace across the entire country. That meant that in every city, town, village you could not smoke in shops, factories, restaurants and even pubs. Now can you imagine the things which were said when the government proposed that???

3 years later - it has worked perfectly. Now if you want to smoke you have to go outside. And even in the pubs it has worked.

As for cruise ships - I think there should be designated smoking and non-smoking cabins. I can't see non-smoking balconies though!

I think making smoking restrictions would limit your cabin choices. However, on the other end of the debate...I think people need to be a tad more respectful of others while smoking. If that was the case, we probably wouldn't have an issue.

Unfortunately, smoking restrictions in cabins just don't work. We sailed on the old NCL's Norway in 2000 and they had designated all cabins on the Starboard side non smoking. It was wonderful, but it didn't work in the long run. Carnival had a strict non-smoking ship that didn't work either. I have a very bad allergy to cigarette smoke, and when someone smokes on their balcony and the smoke invades my balcony, I have to go inside. If I don't, I will really, really suffer the rest of the day. At least cruise lines have designated one side of ship's public places as non-smoking. And thank goodness the dining rooms are now non-smoking. That should satisfy all. As a former smoker (I quit a long, long time ago), I do understand how difficult it is to have to refrain from smoking all day. So the designated public smoking areas is a boon to cruisers - smokers and non-smokers.

Carnivals ship did work...it just got to old and kept going to the same ports over and over again. Boy it was really a pleasure to cruise on her, the air was so fresh...I was very sad when they decide to turn her into a ship like all the rest...Carnival needed to be a little creative with their itenaries....I think that's why they don't have a non-smoking ship.

I have never been bothered by the lingering smell of smoke in my cabin but have been literally driven off my balcony by chain smokers next to me!:eek: I would love to be able to know when I book a balcony that it is in a "non-smoking" area so I know I will fully enjoy my cruise, as quality nap-on-the-balcony time is very important to me.;)

It would be a nice idea for segregated cabins like that, but it just doesn't work realistically for the cruise lines so I voted to keep them how they are.

I understand that it may or may not be difficult to implement. However, I have faith in the cruise execs that where there's a will there's a way. I'm sure it was tough to implement giant water slides, basketball courts, self-leveling pool tables, ice rinks, & rock climbing walls as well, but yet there they are.

My question is to gauge the paying customer's (aka cruise critic member) interest.

We are non-smokers who have been fortunate that none of our cruises have been ruined by smokers in adjoining balcony cabins. Once in a while we'll be out on our balcony and someone, somewhere will light up and we can smell it (DH has asthma, so it does trigger a reaction for him), but we just go inside for a while.

HOWEVER.....cigar smoke is a whole other issue. Cigars are stinky and the smell lingers much longer. I know even in the indoor smoking areas of a ship, cigar smoking is not allowed (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I think they turn one of the smaller lounges into a cigar bar in the evenings.

On our next cruise we have a balcony cabin on the forward edge of the hump and I'm hoping all the smoke does not blow back and collect on our balcony!

We sailed on the old NCL's Norway in 2000 and they had designated all cabins on the Starboard side non smoking.
Ok granted the 31st of this month is going to be my first cruise, but I am assuming the ship doesn't spend much time going in reverse, which means rather than making the designations side to side, they should be front and back, correct? :confused:

I think it would be physically impossible to be underway and have the smoke coming from the balconies on both sides, as has been suggested by some posts on other threads. But as I said, this is going to be my first cruise and for all I know on cruise ships the laws of physics cease to exist....

Poll should have #3 Question, Should smoking be baned in all cabins and balcony's. YES

I'm not one to get into a smokers face and would never approach them, look down on them or make comments. But, a smoking ban in all cabins and balconies sure would be nice :)

to allow smokers in the hopes that we could start yet another thread with tons of postings by rabid, foaming at the mouth, rightous folks who think smokers are one rung below child molesters.

PS. If you hate smoking, demand your state reps ban it instead of taxing it. Haven't you figured it out yet? They want the tax dollars. As long as it is legal, you haven't got much of a case

Poll should have #3 Question, Should smoking be baned in all cabins and balcony's. YES

I agree with this also, my Mom is an avid smoker on oxygen and has COPD, my 48 year wonderful Brother died a horrible death from lung cancer a year ago :( , he was a smoker also. I understand from them that this is a disease/addiction, believe me my brother tried to quit many times, but just couldn't do it. But I hate when I go to my Mom's and when I leave I then smell like cigarettes for the rest of the day, which is daily. So much for the fresh shower feeling I had, but I love my Mom and still go everyday to help her. I know this is a hot topic but I just wish it didn't have to effect the ones who choose not to smoke, and this is just my opinion so please don't take offense. Thanks :)

Carnivals ship did work...it just got to old and kept going to the same ports over and over again. Boy it was really a pleasure to cruise on her, the air was so fresh...I was very sad when they decide to turn her into a ship like all the rest...Carnival needed to be a little creative with their itenaries....I think that's why they don't have a non-smoking ship.

No, it didn't work, that is why they made it back to the way it was, that ship is still sailing and from all accounts is full every week which it wasn't when it was non-smoking. If it worked so well like you state in your post they would have made more ships non-smoking instead they gave up on the plan because they were losing money!

Archived