Ship Time vs Port Time vs Excursion Time

Fila

I know this question has been asked a million times but I can't find the answers now.

When a cruise line lists the ships arrival time, is that when the ship has set anchor or the expected time to start disembarking or tendering? If its when they set anchor, how long does it usually take till you can leave the ship?

Now I am trying to set up excurions, do I tell them I arrive at 7am ships time or 6am local time? So far I have been advising tour operators of ships time and they respond with tour times that cut it way to close for comfort.

Some cruise lines keep "ship time" and others change to local time. Holland America uses local time (which makes things much less confusing). I would assume tour operators would be using local time as well, but it would be best to clarify that if you're not sure.

It also depends on the ship. Some ships belonging to the same cruise line will change their clocks to reflect the change in time zones, and others will not. You'll probably have to wait until you board to find out if your ship will keep the same time for the entire cruise or if it will change to reflect a change in time zones.

As for arrival time for disembarking, the time they give is the time the ship actually arrives at the dock. You won't be able to disembark until the ship is cleared by Customs, all non-US citizens are cleared by Immigration and all the luggage is off-loaded and inspected by Customs and their dogs.

Some of the private vendors out there will know what the ship is doing by time. Tell them which ship you are sailing and what the times in port are.
If its a tendered port please be aware that people with cruise line excursions will be offered off first. If its a docked port you can get off as soon as they ship is cleared....within a few moments after docking.

Archived