Vancouver Debark Question - Flight YVR

tbenson81

Don't know which cruise line you are using, but the Princess brochure states no flights earlier than 11:00am. Like you, I have an 11:00am flight. I'm hoping to use US Direct, but will not know until I receive my final papers if it is offered, as Princess offers on selected cruises only. Hope so, that way Princess will be responsible for getting me to the airport on time, as you have to use their transfer.

With US Direct, you don't go through customs. That alone is likely worth it since you're rushed for time. I'm not sure how much $ you'd really save by getting a cab. Might not be enough to make up for the time wasted in security and customs.

Its not about saving money but getting to the airport the fastest

Do you think that chances are USDirect will be faster because it does bypass customs?

I am just picturing waiting around for an entire busload of people to fill up before getting the ball rolling with USDirect

With walk of disembark - we have been off the ship in minutes and in the cab

I just want to make the right choice. Thanks!

From what I understand, if you do the US direct program, you MUST take the transfers provided by the cruise line - you cannot take a cab or independent transportation. Going through customs at YVR is unpredictable - on one occasion it took 5 minutes. On another, it took me almost 40.

The US direct would almost certainly be faster, though if you do decide to self-disembark and make a rush for the cabs, be aware there'll be quite the lineup for them. Your best bet will be to head up to the Fairmont Waterfront or Pan Pacific Hotel that are right outside the terminal - there's usually a few there.

I'd personally schedule a flight no earlier than noon. There's a lot of roadwork going on in downtown Vancouver & near the airport, both of which might slow you down. All you need in these roadwork zones is one accident and it could take well over an hour to get to the airport. Not trying to be a downer -there's just a lot of 'what-if's'!

We are debarking our cruise in YVR and have scheduled an 11:00am flight out. I believe the ships arrives at 7:00am

Is this enough time to go through customs / immigration etc and make our flight?

You are certainly taking a risk.

The ship may arrive @ 7 am, but many things can occur that detain you on the ship.

If customs detects an issue onboard the ship, nobody is going anywhere fast.

Personally, 1 pm is the earliest I would book.

With a flight this early, ONLY US Direct is an option. You need a 2 hour window at Vancouver airport, without it. Add 45 min. for the cab. You will not make this flight on your own.

Going through customs can be long lines. With US Direct, you bypass it, since you never are in Canada. You will board a bus direct from the ship and be delivered direct to the airport in a secure area.

Anyone know how much a cab costs from the port to YVR? And how long does it take on a Sat? Can't imagine there's all that much traffic in Vancouver on a Sat.

$30-35+++ ca. The problem with Vancouver even on weekends is no freeways. It's all stop and go, slow moving. Allow 45 mins. for the transfer.

Archived