Easter Sunday in Galveston

MsRavenFan

My husband and I will be arriving in Galveston on the evening of Easter Sunday to leave for our cruise on Monday morning. I'm wondering if there will be anything open for us to get a bite to eat on Sunday evening? I know it's Easter and all, but we would love to go hang out somewhere Sunday evening, have a few drinks and some dinner. Do you think we'll have any luck? We're staying on Seawall Blvd.

MsRavenFan - I do not think you will have a problem finding things open in Galveston on Easter. Most of the restaurants on the Seawall will be open (Landry's Seafood, Rainforest, Saltgrass Steakhouse, etc., as well as the hotel restaurants). The Strand area also has several restaurants which I am sure will be open. Galveston is a tourist area so you should not have a problem finding plenty to do.

Galveston (and some people say all of Texas) does not sell bottled liquor on Sundays.

You should purchase any liquor you need on Saturday; or be prepared to give a very very generous tip to a bartender who can "slip" you a bottle, (but only after noon).

You may think that blue laws died fifty years ago;...... but apparently, no one told Texas.

My husband and I will also be in Galveston on Easter Sunday. We are staying on Seawall at the Quality Inn. We chose that hotel because all rooms have a balcony and view of the gulf. I was also hoping that there would be something open and available. Maybe we'll meet.

Everything will be open, all the restaurants and attractions. Go out to Moody Gardens if you get the chance, or see the tall ship Elissa at the Texas Seaport Museum and the Strand down by your cruise terminal.

As Troywest pointed out, our alcohol laws are a little different, but it goes along with other "Conservative Values". Wine and beer are sold after noon on Sunday, just no hard liquor except by the drink in restaurants.

There are "dry" Counties, towns, and even precincts in some Cities in Texas, but certainly not Galveston where Texans went to party even during prohibition.

Certainly, Iced Tea (unsweetened) the national beverage of Texas is always available, usually in large glasses.

State liquor laws would be an interesting thread some time, it's amazing how they change across our country.

• 2 weeks later...

You will be a short walk along a side walk or if you cross the street you can walk on the beach to several places that will meet your dinner needs. I'm not sure about the drinks on Sunday evening but the food will be great and there are plenty of places to choose from. This is a very useful link to all there is in the Galveston area:

http://www.galveston.com/visitorinformation/

Also, drop in on the April 9th Roll Call. We'd love to meet you.

• 2 weeks later...

So, how did it go? Were there problems with the rental car agencies being closed, or was all of that resolved before you arrived?

Since Easter is always on a Sunday, there will probably be people with this problem next year.

Archived