supper club question

beachbum6264

I have had gastric bypass surgery and can eat MAYBE half a meal (more like a third), so my dh and I usually split a meal while eating in a restaurant. I am assuming that this would be a no-no and we'll have to order for 2? I just hate to waste all that food, tho. What do you think?

I have had gastric bypass surgery and can eat MAYBE half a meal (more like a third), so my dh and I usually split a meal while eating in a restaurant. I am assuming that this would be a no-no and we'll have to order for 2? I just hate to waste all that food, tho. What do you think?

Yes, you would still be charged $30 each. You are required to order all the courses.

My thought is that no matter how many bites you eat from each course it is worth the $$ for the experience. I have done this dining on three different Carnival cruises and felt that it was the best part of each cruise. I am always watching my figure and am always dressed to the nines so eating 1/3 of any dish is usually a given. Just go and enjoy and eat a few bites from each dish, you won't be disapointed!! I promise! Also, athough it is nice to share a meal when you are in this atmosphere of the upscale dining it would feel uncomfortable to be eating like that. This is 5* all the way!! Enjoy!!

Yes, you would still be charged $30 each. You are required to order all the courses.

If you wish, you can order (for example) only the dessert - it will still cost you the $30 though...

We have been known to skip the salad. Other times we have skipped the dessert. If you are able to order (and eat) EVERYTHING that they bring you - then all that I have to say is WOW. We have come very close, but we were somewhat uncomfortable for hours afterwards.

Tom

If you wish, you can order (for example) only the dessert - it will still cost you the $30 though...

We have been known to skip the salad. Other times we have skipped the dessert. If you are able to order (and eat) EVERYTHING that they bring you - then all that I have to say is WOW. We have come very close, but we were somewhat uncomfortable for hours afterwards.

Tom

That should have read "You ARENT required :)

The $30 per person is not for the food. You already paid for that when you booked your cruise. The $30 is the gratuity premium for fine service.

That's half the fun... to be served a wonderful 4 or 5 course dinner. Just enjoy it... you paid for it. :)

From what I recall reading on the Carnival site - the $30 includes the gratuity. It's not, in and of itself, the gratuity.

We typically add in an additional tip - as we have ALWAYS been very pleased with both the food and the service.

Heading back this Saturday, and we will be there 2-3 times.

Tom

That should have read "You ARENT required :)

Gotcha!

Sometimes (many times for me) a SPELL CHECK is not always going to catch my errors/omissions. :)

My thought is that no matter how many bites you eat from each course it is worth the $$ for the experience. I have done this dining on three different Carnival cruises and felt that it was the best part of each cruise. I am always watching my figure and am always dressed to the nines so eating 1/3 of any dish is usually a given. Just go and enjoy and eat a few bites from each dish, you won't be disapointed!! I promise! Also, athough it is nice to share a meal when you are in this atmosphere of the upscale dining it would feel uncomfortable to be eating like that. This is 5* all the way!! Enjoy!!

We often take the same approach - eating a little of this and that, so that we can appreciate the entire meal, without having to be ROLLED out of there!

Tom

From what I recall reading on the Carnival site - the $30 includes the gratuity. It's not, in and of itself, the gratuity.

We typically add in an additional tip - as we have ALWAYS been very pleased with both the food and the service.

Heading back this Saturday, and we will be there 2-3 times.

Tom

The thirty dollars is an uplift for the additional service and the food quality is superior to what is served in the dining rooms. We also add an additional tip each time. We usually go twice to the supper club on each cruise that has one.

I Have Never Eaten In Supper Club Because I Was On Fanatsy Class Ships Both Times , But Since I'm Going On Liberty In April I Wanted To Find Out A Few Things ...

A. Is It Really That Much Food ? For Example , I Ate At Texas De Brazil , And Wow.. The Biggest Mistake I Made Was Eating Extras Before Main Course Came Out So I'm Figuring It's Like That , Becasue Man - I Was Way Full.

B. What Is The Dress Code There? Resort Casual Or Formal ?

C. And Can I Reserve This From My Room Or Do I Have To Go To Pursers Desk For This As Soon As I Get On The Ship ?

Thanks For Any Help Guys ..

I Have Never Eaten In Supper Club Because I Was On Fanatsy Class Ships Both Times , But Since I'm Going On Liberty In April I Wanted To Find Out A Few Things ...

A. Is It Really That Much Food ? For Example , I Ate At Texas De Brazil , And Wow.. The Biggest Mistake I Made Was Eating Extras Before Main Course Came Out So I'm Figuring It's Like That , Becasue Man - I Was Way Full.

C. And Can I Reserve This From My Room Or Do I Have To Go To Pursers Desk For This As Soon As I Get On The Ship ?

I've seen pictures and the food looks garguantan in size;

you do need to dress formally (suit/tie or tux) and

you do have to make a reservation; you can do this on board, and I think you can probably do it from your room over the phone, but I'm not positive.

A) To us, yes it is a lot of food. Though I am sure there are some buffet rangers out there who can handle the 24oz porterhouse, and never miss a beat! :eek:

B) The dress code mirrors the regular dining room, though it is typically up just a notch from that: they will bring men a jacket for their chair on Formal night if the man does not come with one... We try to dress for the location, which is upscale.

C) You can reserve a date and time to dine there upon first entering the ship - they usually have someone set up in the atrium just for that purpose (with samples of the meats - frozen/raw - for looks only). You can also head up there most anytime to make reservations - though I suggest you do this prior to 6 PM (first reservation time) so that you can ALSO pick out your desired table! You can also call the supper club from your cabin for reservations.

Tom

Question 1: Food portion size is healthy def. not skimping but what I would consider normal. The difference I find is in the heaviness of the food - it is extremely rich with butter and creams. There are a few different add on courses like "this appetizer is compliments of the chef" and then all the usual soup, salad, dinner, dessert and a "pre-dessert" chef sampler. Its crazy and sometimes its "OMG I have to eat every bite of this" and sometimes its "this is great but I really only want a few bites because I HAVE to eat my entree". Its just amazing and I can never express to people that this is the best $$ you can spend on any Carnival ship. Enjoy!!

Question 2: Wear the very best attire you bring. (If I remember correctly this was a man asking??) So if you have a suit, cool. If you own a tux - wear it, why not?? At the least bring a dress shirt and tie with dockers but it isn't often you can dine like this so pack your very best!! Your wife or girlfriend will love you for it!!!

Question 3: Book it from your room - look at the schedule for the week first. You don't want to book the supper club on formal night. That is when the best food is in the dining room so don't book then. Also, look at when you are in ports and book according to when you will be the least busy. Ideal day for us is an at sea day but for you it may be different just look at your week and plan accordingly. Call as soon as you can from your room and book it because it fills fast for the ideal times - like 6:30 - 7:30 p.m. Also, go there and look at the dining room. We like the top floor with an ocean view table for 2. We can then look down and see everything and have a nice ocean view. For others they might like to dance and want to be on the lower level so this might be another choice. When you book you can tell them what you are looking for. ENJOY! Hope this helps.

wow guys thanks for all your responses...

dont worry , suit it is, looks fantastic , and it will remind me of being in morotns steakhouse in miami.

also - one last thing , if i reserve immediately upon entering the ship ,

can i then go up to the supper club before we sail and speak to someone about what table i want ? I prefer a table for two for romantic dining as always ready to go mentioned...

thanks again for all youe help guys..

wow guys thanks for all your responses...

dont worry , suit it is, looks fantastic , and it will remind me of being in morotns steakhouse in miami.

also - one last thing , if i reserve immediately upon entering the ship ,

can i then go up to the supper club before we sail and speak to someone about what table i want ? I prefer a table for two for romantic dining as always ready to go mentioned...

thanks again for all youe help guys..

I would assume that you can make your table selection later.

We will usually pick one of the formal nights for one of our supper club nights - this way the entire experience is exquisite - there are no dancing waiters, and typically everyone else there is similarly dressed for the occasion (a higher % of tuxes for example).

We also prefer the upper level in the supper club. Though only the Spirit class ships have the upper level. Conquest class ships (which includes the Liberty) are only one level - with a line of "bench type" seating across one wall (granted, only a few of the available seats are of this type). There is NO WAY that I would want to be seated on a bench - to which a few tables are adjacent to. Not very intimate...

Tom

Each party has their own table in the supper club, no dining with others unless you make your reservations as a group.

If I remember correctly reservations don't start until after Muster (when the ship sails and they have the required safety course - BORING!! - LOL). Once onboard after you see your room and drop off your stuff, get yourself a drink and then start walking around the ship. One of the first stops if your hungry - get some food, then make your way to the very TOP of the ship. That's where the supper club is. You can look around but I am not sure that someone will be there to take reservations - they may. If not, call from your room and book what you think looks heavenly. Good luck - I am counting the days til I sail again!!! ENJOY!!

Archived