I Need Help! - medications

Well unfortunately I have to take about 20 different medications every day....quote]

If you are taking that many medications, I must assume you spend a fair amount of time with medical folks. And, I am sure you have lost track of how many times they ask "What medications are you taking".

They need to know this so they understand how your body is functioning, so they do not give you a conflicting medicine or misdiagnose. Now, imagine you are in an accident and in the hospital. Can you see where this is heading?

Sounds really dangerous to me.

And I am the run that tends to take risks and do not spend money on travel insurance, but I do play the slots. What a crazy mix of risk and reward we weave!

What about vitamins? I take 6 different kinds, can I just put them in a ziplock baggie not the 1 qt one but the other one with the prescription bottles? How about not in the container, just poured in a baggie? I'm getting nervous we leave in 2 days and I don't want to put in checked in case it gets lost :( There was nothing on TSA regarding vitamins :confused:

What about vitamins? I take 6 different kinds, can I just put them in a ziplock baggie not the 1 qt one but the other one with the prescription bottles? How about not in the container, just poured in a baggie? I'm getting nervous we leave in 2 days and I don't want to put in checked in case it gets lost :( There was nothing on TSA regarding vitamins :confused:

You can do just about anything you want, and you most probably will not have a problem with meds, pills, vitamins, etc.

But - and the point of some of this discussion is protecting your personal health. Will anybody KNOW what you are taking if something happens to you. There is an outside chance that somebody might question if you are carrying drugs, but after traveling a few hundred flights a year for many years, and maybe 20+ intl trips, I have never seen it.

The TSA goons are just puppets following orders pretty much. They ARE on the lookout for liquids these days and will toss anything over 3 OZ. Even half of a tube of toothpaste. Do not try to put any logic into it. They just do it. And most of them know how silly it is, but they just follow the rules. This discussion is really not about TSA.

Actually it can be really alot if you have alot of meds and injectables like I do I have 11 large pill bottles( the three month kind) then 4 different kinds io insulin plus syringes which I usually need a box of 100 for the 12 day cruise plus an injectable for Ra which has to be carried in a specific gel ice pack, last time this took a whole duffle bag that also had in it my charger for my scooter and oxygen concentrator plus cords for plug ins and , wow I just realized how much it all was myself but since I decided I was going to keep on living when I got sick that is a small amount to deal with for the joy I get out of life. Believe me if you want it bad enough you will find a way to do it.

Nancy

I bring 2 weeks worth of medicine for a 7 day cruise just in case in 2 weekly containers. If I were taking a controlled substance, I'd bring the prescription bottle. I also bring a list with prescription #, etc.

we take our grandson with us and he's on a insulin pump. he has loads of supplies that he takes, we always just have him to take an overnight hard case with all his stuff in it and it has nothing but meds in it, his pump can't go through xray so he either has to take it off or get hand scanned. so if you have a lot of meds just carry it in its own little case, we put his meds as our #1 case, he even carries an extra pump in case his stops working.BTW, if anyone else is on a pump you can get a loaner to take with you for about $50..00 but be careful, if you have to replace it, it's about 5-6 Thousand.

My friend just flew from Washington to Mexico, and she takes LOTS of medicines. Some of her pills are enormous, so even a month's supply is in a huge bottle, and she takes many medicines.

She says:

I just did my medicine box, but you really should have the prescription with you... i should have used an exacto to take all the label or asked the pharmacy to print me a label, since the bottles are so big.

also, have your meds for the whole week in one place, then carry another 4 days with you somewhere else. and if you're really worried (about losing them), pack 3-4 days in someone else's suitcase.

We were soooo happy that we had mom's 21 medications in their original containers for our cruise in January, for two reasons. One, when we went through security, mom's boarding pass was checked as needing a more intense security check. If she had used her days of the week container, the security person said she would have had a lot of trouble---but she had all her pills in their big bottles in a baggie, so it was easy for them to check the meds. Second, mom broke her hip on the ship, and if they didn't have her marked bottles for both the ship's hospital and for the med evac jet, she would have had huge probems. Don't take a chance because you don't want to be bothered with carrying the larger bottles.

Why not go to your phamisit (Sp?) with your meds and ask if they can make some small bottles with the lables on them for your trip? This way you have them labled and a smaller container as well. Also some of the pharmists will make blister packs for each day for you as well. A possiblity of have enough done up for your trip plus 3 or 4 extra days?

When I fly somewhere or go on a cruise, I take my original med bottles with the amount of pills I need (any may some extra.) I also take my weekly dispesnser (empty) and fill it at my destination. I have to allow room for all the bottles (9), but I don't have to bother with them every day. Since some of my bottles are rather large, i sam going to see if the pharmacist can give me a smaller bottle with infor on it.

Gale

Archived