cash or credit ???????

awsmrn

cash will be the preferred method of payment for most things in Cozumel. Credit cards are accepted, but will often have an added charge, sometimes as much as 10% in the case of some dive operators. Take lots of small bills so you will always have correct change, especially for taxi rides. The drivers are sometimes "out of change" so if you only have a $20, you end up leaving them a good sized tip.

My experience is that the stores would prefer cash. It definitely has more bargaining power. For bargaining, travellers checks are considered cash. Unless you're making a major purchase and want credit card protection, I'd go with cash, at least in Cozumel.

Playa del Carmen is a little different. It's been a few years since I visited, but I recall that prices were generally listed in pesos. You could pay in dollars, but change was made in pesos. If that's still the case, I'd consider paying with a credit card in Playa Carmen.

I didn't shop much in Playa del Carmen. Just bought a few little things there and did most of my shopping in Cozumel.

Archived