Coughing up a lung on the plane

Nor re: cruises but there are 2 people where I work that are ALWAYS coughing and sneezing without putting their hand or a tissue in front of their face. I was sat at one of their desks about a month ago going through some figures and he just started coughing about a foot away from my face - right at me. It was so disgusting that I stood up and closed down the meeting. Needless to say, by the end of the week I had caught an awful cold and was off the following Monday. It lasted 2 weeks and I even had to go to the doctors - all because he cant be bothered to do the right thing.

There is another lady there too who seems to like to bring attention to herself in many ways - including ridiculously loud sneezes that can be heard by everyone. She is always showing off in one way or another, trying to attract attention. I think this coughing and sneezing is just another way of getting the attention she craves.

ITS DISGUSTING!:mad:

Does anyone else think that the SICK people who get on airplanes should wear some kind of face mask so the rest of us don't get sick!!!!?

The plane to Miami and Back...each time there was someone sitting directly in front of me that was hacking up a lung....and yes, I got sick...for over 2 weeks!

I believe that is where I caught my case of whooping cought 3 years ago :(

I have noticed in some offices (usually medical of some sort or labs) that they suggest wearing masks if they are coughing. Good idea for planes too.

Does anyone else think that the SICK people who get on airplanes should wear some kind of face mask so the rest of us don't get sick!!!!?

The plane to Miami and Back...each time there was someone sitting directly in front of me that was hacking up a lung....and yes, I got sick...for over 2 weeks!

Okay you could have already HAD the virus on you before you got on that plane and it was coincidence that the lady was coughing and you are just paranoid. The virus could have been on your seat and you got it that way, it could have been on anything you touched before getting on the plane and she just happened to be there. The point is you do NOT know she was the one who got you sick and I bet she wasn't the one too. You can have the virus on you for a day or two before symptoms show up and could have taken it on the plane and in fact infected MORE people w/o knowing it. At least she was in front of you, the germs were flying in the opposite direction you were sitting. As long as you wash your hands and not touch your eyes, mouth and nasal passages you don't have to be so paranoid when it comes to germs.

Yes, it would be nice if people who were sick and coughing wouldn't travel but the problem is when they made their reservation and paid for their ticket they probably weren't sick. And, they probably have to be wherever it is they are going just like the rest of us on the plane. If they decide to cancel their flight because of their coughing, they'd lose the price of their ticket or pay a big change fee so not many of us want to do that.

I am NOT for people flying sick, it's just sometimes there is no other choice. A mask or at least a handkerchief over their mouths would certainly help, though.

When we flew to San Juan in February my Hubby sat in the aisle seat next to a woman and her daughter who was sitting by the window. We were still boarding when the girl (about 12) starting throwing up. First on the floor between her legs.....and then in the barf bag her mom held for her. We hadn't even left the terminal! The mom looked at me and I couldn't help but ask if she had the flu......her mom responded....I'm not sure.....she only has a slight fever.........

And then we had the kids behind us coughing up a lung the entire way. Needless to say we went through a tube of airborne and then some. Geez........nice way to start a vacation!

I always thought that because of the pressurised cabin & air conditioning on planes that the germs from coughing is circulated throughout the plane and wearing a mask would be of little value....but I carry anti-bacterial towlettes and cover my mouth and nose if someone near me starts to cough....of course on long overseas flights this is not practical. As for the "gas" being circulated through the cabin:eek: !!! At work (in a bank) I spray disinfectant in the air after a customer has rudely coughed or sneezed in front of me without covering their mouth (so many people do that):confused: I use the spray after they walk off and before serving the next client. At first my colleagues thought this was funny and possibly rude but now they all have a can of Glen 20 at their telling stations! The customers love it and have even thanked me for cleaning up the counter.:p

...I always take a Sudafed before I fly just so I don't get all filled from the pressure. You'd think if someone was actually sick they'd do that same...

Not picking on you, but wanted to point out that many medications don't CURE a cold or other ailment, but only treat the symptoms to give relief to the sufferer.:(

When we flew to San Juan in February my Hubby sat in the aisle seat next to a woman and her daughter who was sitting by the window. We were still boarding when the girl (about 12) starting throwing up. First on the floor between her legs.....and then in the barf bag her mom held for her. We hadn't even left the terminal! The mom looked at me and I couldn't help but ask if she had the flu......her mom responded....I'm not sure.....she only has a slight fever.........

And then we had the kids behind us coughing up a lung the entire way. Needless to say we went through a tube of airborne and then some. Geez........nice way to start a vacation!

Actually flu symptoms are NOT throwing up and diahhrea...REAL influenza has symptoms of a upper respiratory infection-dry cough, headaches, etc...My daughter was diagnosed with Influenza A and was very sick-I took her in to the doctor and they tested her and she tested positive but you would have thought she has an upper respiratory infection or sinus infection. She had a high fever and was very lethargic and wiped out completely for over a week!

Well..From another side..

I agree that no one..including me wants to be around a bunch of sick folks...And yes,you can catch a cold if someone sneezed or coughed in your face..Other wise,its from shaking hands with,or touching something they have touched after sneezing (you know,presence of substance) and then touch your own face, mouth ,etc.In other words...The common cold is not airborne..(Wash your hands)

But being from the moist/dry/humid (yes,all 3) petroleum rich,4.2 million people,petroleum refinery invested,oak, cedar, etc etc capital of the world (otherwise known as Houston)....A very large majority of us just have allergies..Also know as the "crud" And yes,a good dose of Sudfed,Zyrtec or Claritin can do wonders...Sometimes nothing helps..And any time the temp is between 55-75...My allergies are blaring..Sneezing coughing watery eyes...But I am not contagious..

Obviously at any given time,you could have something and not know it...

But just coughing etc does not necessarily mean you are ill..

Now back to your regularly scheduled meals :p

Anyone who thinks that Airborne or other "remedies" can actually prevent you from catching a cold or other virus needs to go back to school and learn how to think independently. Think of it for just a minute. If there were compounds that actually prevented or cured a cold, pharmaceutical companies would have the Holy Grail of present and future profits guaranteed. The FDA would have endorsed the products and approved them for their indicated use.

The FACT is that there is no documented evidence that these "remedies" work. The problem with, "Well, it worked for me!", is that you don't know. We have developed into a cause and effect society by personal experience rather than scientific proof. Please, think about it for a minute before you decide to spend $20-30 on stuff that is not backed by the FDA, where scientific evidence rules, not personal experiences.

I had to check with my husband who is a nurse on the possibility of viral transmission through flatulence. Apparently aside from the stench the general public is mostly safe. The reason I said mostly is if the stench is truly coming from a stomach flu/diarrhea situation and loose fecal matter is released along with the fumes (aka the "wet fart") and seeps through the originator's garments onto a seat then another person touches the seat then their eyes, nose, or mouth, there could be a transfer of viral material. How's that for disgusting? Someone please hand me a handiwipe - I've got to fly to Philly on Monday.

Another thing that hubby mentioned is that as a whole, Americans are more flatulent than ever. Lactose intolerance is rising, the numbers of vegans/vegetarians is increasing, and we have a tendancy to eat foods high in fat content. All of these things lead to excessive flatulence, which leads to increases in greenhouse gases and global warming. OK - the last bit was meant to be over-the-top.

Next time you get stuck behind that gassy person, ask them if they are lactose intolerant or vegetarian. If they say no, you can tell them they need to cut back on their fat intake. It's a public service message.

Not all coughing or sneezing is from colds. I have allergies and can cough or sneeze at any time from exposure to things I am allergic to, so you can not always judge on that basis. On a plane I always take a cold tab to keep my sinus passages clear.

Yes, it would be nice if people who were sick and coughing wouldn't travel but the problem is when they made their reservation and paid for their ticket they probably weren't sick. And, they probably have to be wherever it is they are going just like the rest of us on the plane. If they decide to cancel their flight because of their coughing, they'd lose the price of their ticket or pay a big change fee so not many of us want to do that.

I am NOT for people flying sick, it's just sometimes there is no other choice. A mask or at least a handkerchief over their mouths would certainly help, though.

I had whooping cough last July (no joke at 65!) and I am still coughing. And I have recently flown, and coughed, but I do not believe that I was still infectious. Not everyone who coughs is sick.

I have also caught coughs and colds while travelling, but I have always thought that this was just the price you pay for the great experience of seeing new places and coming into contact with new people and the bacteria/ viruses that my immune systemn has not previously encountered.

I work around people every day and I do not even give it a thought. I wash my hands alot and thats about it. I have not had a sick day in 15 years (knock on wood).

A day before our last cruise a girl that I work with came in with strept throat and I was not too happy about it and made my husband bring in some of that air-borne. I was lucky that I did not come down with anything.

I think sometimes you can be to anti-germs.

When I become sick, I think about where and who I was with 3 days before and can figure out where/who had gotten me sick. So the 3-7 days that someone had talked about is usually 3 days for me.

First plane....YES, a person was hacking up a lung...Not allergies, not just a persistant cough...but an actual cold/SICK. His wife had to stand up because he was blowing his nose so hard... it started coming out of the hankercheif.

Didn't get sick 3 days later so I was safe after that first flight.

2nd flight...a lady was coughing, gagging, and her nose was dripping...she was constantly blowing her nose. Again, I'm sure this was not allergies, it was very wet sounding.

3 days later I became sick.

My point was...I think that people who know they are sick...should wear a mask while on the plane.

If someone threw up next to me....I would have thrown up too! Don't know what I would do then. EEWWWWW!!!

(oh, and just because it wasn't the flu....it was still a SICK PERSON!)

Horray! Your hubby, Pharmaguy & brn2crz have so much sense and knowledge (goes a long way in this post...) :)

kyriecat, can you now check with your husband about the possibility of geting pregnant from a toilet seat??? ;)

I had to check with my husband who is a nurse on the possibility of viral transmission through flatulence. Apparently aside from the stench the general public is mostly safe. The reason I said mostly is if the stench is truly coming from a stomach flu/diarrhea situation and loose fecal matter is released along with the fumes (aka the "wet fart") and seeps through the originator's garments onto a seat then another person touches the seat then their eyes, nose, or mouth, there could be a transfer of viral material. How's that for disgusting? Someone please hand me a handiwipe - I've got to fly to Philly on Monday.

Another thing that hubby mentioned is that as a whole, Americans are more flatulent than ever. Lactose intolerance is rising, the numbers of vegans/vegetarians is increasing, and we have a tendancy to eat foods high in fat content. All of these things lead to excessive flatulence, which leads to increases in greenhouse gases and global warming. OK - the last bit was meant to be over-the-top.

Next time you get stuck behind that gassy person, ask them if they are lactose intolerant or vegetarian. If they say no, you can tell them they need to cut back on their fat intake. It's a public service message.

Also the modern trend for guzzling carbonated drinks contributes to the problem too - especially if you drink them just before and during flying (since the cabin pressure is lower at high altitudes, your already gasey stomach expands, you feel bloated and that gas wants out...). Peronally I avoid carbonated drinks when I fly (apart from the occassional glass of champagne, but don;t think that is as bad... ;) ).

As for sneezing, coughing and runny nose... as others have said, there are sometimes medical reasons (previous illnesses that are well and truly over), that they just retain their cough) that - they aren't contagious in the slightest.

Also, when flying, some people's air passages get dried out and inflamed by the dry cabin air. This often happens to me (especially on transatlantic flights). I will often start with a sneezing fit (into a tissue) and then my nose will run for a couple of hours. It isn't a cold, I have NO infection at all, there is nothing for anyone to catch and - as soon as I land - it will clear up again.

Also I am asthmatic - sometime when things get irritated I wheeze and cough a bit. Again, it is inflamation of my lungs and not at infection - nothing you can catch.

At the end of the day, we are all human... not everything about human's is pleasant and, indeed, many human's are more pleasant than others... but every sneeze or cough is not the the plague...

Boo

2nd flight...a lady was coughing, gagging, and her nose was dripping...she was constantly blowing her nose. Again, I'm sure this was not allergies, it was very wet sounding.

3 days later I became sick.

That CAN be just from the dry cabin air - I have certainly had it: you start sneezing, your nose starts running BUCKET LOADS and even your voice goes funny.... to all intents it SOUNDS like a stinking cold, but it can just be a bad reaction to the dry air.

Also some hay fever sufferers sound like they are at death's door if they forget to take a tablet - very nasty, but it is a reaction to pollen and not germs.

Boo

One more comment then I will shutup..lol..

I once was throwing up on an airplane, couldn't help it, it was very turbulent!!! If you were to look at me I looked like a "normal" woman and people prob thought I was just "sick" with the flu but I was PREGNANT!!!! I was at the magical 8 week time and oh my gish, sooo sick feeling, well I did toss my cookies for the last half hour ride. Anyway...sometimes people aren't "sick" they have allergies (as mentioned before) or could be pregnant, etc...so try not to worry so much!

May I move thsi thread to one of my pet peeves for airline travel: the people who take their shoes off while flying. I know that this will not have me catch a cold or anything else but I find it incredibly rude that someone in a contained space will remove their shoes....couple that with some flatulence and it really is time to get the oxygen masks down.

Keep the shoes on people!

Hawt1

Poor veryhotred, I feel for you :(

My mother had something similar... well she wasn't pregnant, but she was became very ill on a 2+ hour flight. She was incoherent, throwing up, sweaty, generally looking incredibly rough. People actually thought that she was very drunk or sick. She got no help for anybody, not even the cabin crew - infact they wouldn't even conceal the disgust in her state and wouldn't help arrange any transport (like a wheelchair) from the gate to help her out. Well she wasn't drunk OR contagious, she had very bad kidney stones - that was what was causing the symptoms. She was incredibly ill (no fault of her own), in a lot of pain, nobody would help and people were actually very nasty to her... Disgusting behaviour from all around! So people should NEVER be too quick to judge...

May I move thsi thread to one of my pet peeves for airline travel: the people who take their shoes off while flying. I know that this will not have me catch a cold or anything else but I find it incredibly rude that someone in a contained space will remove their shoes....couple that with some flatulence and it really is time to get the oxygen masks down.

Keep the shoes on people!

Hawt1

Depends on the length of flight, how clean your feet are, whether you keep your (clean) socks on...

Actually, from a health/comfort point of view, taking your shoes off is probably a good thing. Most people's feet swell when they fly and, assuming you are wearing fairly sturdy shoes, your circulation will be better if yhou remove your shoes (need I say DVT?). The issue is not "taking your shoes off", it is personal hygiene and wearing a nice pair and clean socks...

Boo

Archived