Sicily...where do we dock??

We are on the Galaxy June 1-11, and we don't know where we dock in Sicily and we only have like 6 hrs. in port so we are wondering if anyone knows where the ship docks so we can plan what to do while there. Any help is appreciated!!! Thanks!

The most common ports would be either Palermo or Messina. If it docks on Palermo, there is a lot to see there. If it docks in Messina, you need to go to Taormina, probably by an excusion with the ship given the short time you will be there. (Alternately, you could visit Mt. Etna) Sicily is a large island--Palermo and Messina are on opposite sides.

I am on this cruise and the Galaxy docks in Messina. Last year, we opted to walk around the port as it was in the city and looked o.k. After walking thru this city, I can tell you that it is dirty, crowded and expensive. After viewing one church, and a small park, everything else is shopping (not touristy) but local shopping. After talking to some of our group who went on the ship's tour to Taormina, we are definitely going there this year!

It is also possible to visit Taormina via the train. The station is really close to the dock and the bus to the village is coordinated with the train schedule. We did this a couple of years ago and it worked out fine although going on the cruise line bus is a bit quicker and easier - on RCCL it was about $40-50/head if memory serves me correctly.

Archived