Cruise Virgin Questions

Hi, everyone. I am completely new to cruising but my partner and I travel frequently and love to try new adventures. In this duo, I am the wacko “details” researcher. It seems like this trip is all we talk about and everyday we come up with new questions. I have been pouring over the forums for weeks now, searching out minute details. I have to say, I think 99% of what I need to know (so far ;) ) has been found, but I have a few questions I’d like to pose to the willing veterans of this forum. Here are the details of the cruise we have booked: We are on Majesty (MJ?) on a 4 day cruise to Nassau, CocoCay, and Key West leaving May 21, 2007. We have an interior cabin. It will be just the two of us, no kids.

1. I’d like to know about the beer selection on the ship. One of our favorite things to do on trips is to seek out local breweries, so I’m excited to hear that there will be a big variety of things to try. However, when it comes to domestic brands we are both picky. What will we find on tap? (I’m not even sure there will be draws on the ship, heehee :o ) Do they stick to particular products, like Bud or Miller? And a bonus question - Do you have a favorite bar/bartender?

2. On to a serious consideration… We will actually arrive in Ft. Lauderdale 2 days before the cruise. We have a great hotel located right on the beach and we are looking forward to some sun, sand, and the opportunity to play with our snorkel gear before we get to CocoCay. However, I am having a terrible time hunting down a shuttle service that will pick us up from the hotel and take us to the port of Miami for a reasonable price. I know there is a shared shuttle from the airport in Lauderdale that runs about $20 per person. However, the cab fare from the hotel to the airport will be about $20, so that seems silly. I have the same problem upon return, as well. We booked two more days in Lauderdale before we fly home. Surely we aren’t the first budget minded travelers to encounter this problem? I’d really appreciate your help on this.

3. Last question for now – we have checked in online and have printed the seapass (I think that is what it was called) but I haven’t seen anything that says what time we should arrive at the ship. I’ve gathered that noon is about the time they begin boarding, but was hoping that maybe there were documents that RCI would be sending with that information. I guess my question is, will I be getting anything in the mail?

Okay, that is all for now. Thanks so much for your help!

IndigoFairy,

Check out this website: http://cruiseclues.com/

Select you ship and you should be able to find bar menus with what's bottled, on-tap, etc. Royal currently has its our brew, a Belgian White that was supposed to be a limited time offering but because of it's popularity they still are serving it. I'm sailing 3/31 on Enchantment and will be definately drinking some of it.

As for boarding time you should have no problems getting on board around noon. You may not be able to get into your room yet so make sure you carry on bathing suit (if you want) so you can hang out at pool, etc.

What ship are you sailing?

Try this site for shuttle: http://www.miamibeach411.com/transportation/miami-airport-transportation.htm

Gary

Yes you'll receive a booklet in the mail about a month before you sail. Since you already filled out the Set Sail pass (which makes check in sooo easy!) you won't need to fill anything out. BUT inside the book are your luggage tags. You'll also need to fill out the Bahamas immigration form that comes in the packet.

It'll say that boarding begins at 2 pm, but as you said boarding really begins around 11:30 or so.. noon is a good time to get there.

Have a great time! I love Sovereign (MJ's twin sister)

Thanks for your help, mustang67! The cruiseclues.com website is a great resource. I didn't find anything about the beer selection, though. Maybe because of the recent renovation of the ship? I am still hoping for more details, if you happen to come across that information.

I am sailing on the Majesty of the Seas.

I had previously checked out the miamibeach411 website. Their shuttles are more expensive than taking a cab - $80!! In the past (in the LA area, for example, going from Disneyland to LAX) I have been able to find shuttles way cheaper than cabfare. Maybe Ft. Lauderdale to Miami doesn't have a cheaper option than a $60+ cab ride one way, but I'm still hopeful and have some time. ;)

bambam2972, I am SO GLAD to hear that a book and luggage tags should be on the way! That will just seal the deal for me - I'll be bouncing off the walls when it gets here!! Thank you for your help. I am wondering - can you check-in at the port, hand over your luggage, and then wait a while to board the ship? I hear there is some fun shopping right by the port. :D

If I understand your question in number 2..........and I may have it wrong........

You are looking for transportation from Ft. Lauderdale hotel to Miami port??

And you found a shared shuttle for $20??

If this is the case, jump all over that.........you won't find anything from Lauderdale to Miami for that price.

But if I misunderstood........I'm sorry.........

No shopping at the port. Closest shops are at Bayside Marketplace which is on the other side of the bridge from the cruise terminals on Dodge Island.

When you get to the port, you will hand over all of your luggage except your carryon to the porters outside the terminal building, then proceed inside for check-in. Depanding on when you arrive you may have a brief wait until they start boarding or you may be able to board immediately. I imagine that once you have checked and dropped your carryons in your stateroom, you could get back off and grab a cab back to Bayside, but I really don't think that the shopping is so special as to merit the effort involved.

2. On to a serious consideration… We will actually arrive in Ft. Lauderdale 2 days before the cruise. We have a great hotel located right on the beach and we are looking forward to some sun, sand, and the opportunity to play with our snorkel gear before we get to CocoCay. However, I am having a terrible time hunting down a shuttle service that will pick us up from the hotel and take us to the port of Miami for a reasonable price. I know there is a shared shuttle from the airport in Lauderdale that runs about $20 per person. However, the cab fare from the hotel to the airport will be about $20, so that seems silly. I have the same problem upon return, as well. We booked two more days in Lauderdale before we fly home. Surely we aren’t the first budget minded travelers to encounter this problem? I’d really appreciate your help on this.

3. Last question for now – we have checked in online and have printed the seapass (I think that is what it was called) but I haven’t seen anything that says what time we should arrive at the ship. I’ve gathered that noon is about the time they begin boarding, but was hoping that maybe there were documents that RCI would be sending with that information. I guess my question is, will I be getting anything in the mail?

Okay, that is all for now. Thanks so much for your help!

Rent a car in Ft. Lauderdale. If you are there 2 days early, it will be nice to have a car to get around to see the sites. You can then drive the car to Miami. We rent from Hertz. Hertz has a drop-off point 5 minutes from the port and a free shuttle to get you there.

You will get documents from RCI a couple weeks before your departure. There will be an orange document that says to arrive at 2:00. Ignore it! Get to the port by 11:00. They normally start boarding between 11:00 and 11:30. You should be on the ship by noon eating your lunch in the Windjammer.

Archived