Royal Carribean Cruise Event

DH and I have never been on a cruise, but are now ready to book one. My on line research, as well as research gathered from this board, has led us to Royal Carribean as our choice of cruise line.

A well known national travel agency is hosting a Royal Carribean Cruise Event this Saturday in a suburb of Detroit, MI. I called to book a reservation at the event. I was told that there would be a representative from RCCI, and that there would be special cruise deals, give aways, and assorted coupons that included discounts at the Spa. I am assuming that we will be offered a "deal" if we book a cruise at that time.

Have any of you been to one of these? If so, what should we look out for, if we book our first cruise at that time? Are there any gimmicks to avoid? Shoud we book our air through them, we will be leaving from Detroit Metro Airport, or can that be handled later? I do understand the benefit of booking Custom Air (thanks cruise critic members)

We are in the process of ordering our passports, have the RCCI visa credit card (for the future cruise credits) and are all set to go.

We were entertaining the thought of a 5 night on the Enchantment, Junior Suite, in the spring of next year, but have decided to shy away from that because of spring breakers. (I work for a local school, and have 1 week winter break and 1 week spring break between March and early April. so I will need to take additional vacation:eek: for the cruise) We are still concidering the Enchantment, but also thinking about an 8 night on the Jewel, in a balcony cabin.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

DH and I have never been on a cruise, but are now ready to book one. My on line research, as well as research gathered from this board, has led us to Royal Carribean as our choice of cruise line.

A well known national travel agency is hosting a Royal Carribean Cruise Event this Saturday in a suburb of Detroit, MI. I called to book a reservation at the event. I was told that there would be a representative from RCCI, and that there would be special cruise deals, give aways, and assorted coupons that included discounts at the Spa. I am assuming that we will be offered a "deal" if we book a cruise at that time.

Have any of you been to one of these? If so, what should we look out for, if we book our first cruise at that time? Are there any gimmicks to avoid? Shoud we book our air through them, we will be leaving from Detroit Metro Airport, or can that be handled later? I do understand the benefit of booking Custom Air (thanks cruise critic members)

We are in the process of ordering our passports, have the RCCI visa credit card (for the future cruise credits) and are all set to go.

We were entertaining the thought of a 5 night on the Enchantment, Junior Suite, in the spring of next year, but have decided to shy away from that because of spring breakers. (I work for a local school, and have 1 week winter break and 1 week spring break between March and early April. so I will need to take additional vacation:eek: for the cruise) We are still concidering the Enchantment, but also thinking about an 8 night on the Jewel, in a balcony cabin.

I have not been to one of those cruise events and I have not been on Enchantment, but I have been on Royal Caribbean and sailed on Jewel.

Royal Caribbean is our cruise line of choice, we have had our best vacations, cruise or land, on Royal Caribbean. Jewel was a wonderful ship and I would chose the longest cruise possible. But- thats just me ;) ! Some people enjoy short cruises, but I prefer the longer ones. I am going on a 4 day in two weeks, but I would much rather go on at least a 7 day cruise. On a 4 or 5 day cruise, you just barely get settled and into it before your cruise is over. So, for me, I would pick the 8 night.

Book your air on your own, unless Royal Caribbean is giving you one hell of a deal. We have done it with Royal Caribbean, but they pick your flight times, what airports you fly into, and they don't tell you until about 8 weeks before your cruise, which I don't like. I can usually get a better rate on my own, but they do have better rates, at times.

I hope you get the cruise you want booked. I am sure you will love cruising!

I went to one of these several years ago in Sterling Heights and a smaller one last summer at triple A in Royal Oak. I didn't book a cruise at either but did come home with several brochures. My suggestion would be to decide on a cruise or two, then check RCI's site or travelocity/expedia, etc. for pricing. Write down the date, cabin category (example-D1 balcony, E2 balcony, etc.) and price and take it with you to the event to compare pricing. It's very possible the agency will offer some perks if you book with them during the event. If they don't and their pricing is higher, don't book it.

I've been on the Enchantment once and the Jewel twice. They are both great ships, but I think I prefer the Jewel. As far as the difference between a jr. suite and a balcony, my opinion is that it isn't really worth the extra money for the jr. suite unless you plan on spending a lot of time in your cabin (especially if you don't have many sea days). Ask for a cabin located midship as there is less movement in this part of the ship. I also like cabins at the back (aft) and avoid the ones in the front.

You're better off booking your own air unless you go during a holiday period. You can usually get a pretty reasonable flight from Detroit to Fort Lauderdale.

The eight night itinerary on the Jewel is great and between the two ships, I would go with the Jewel. Welcome to the world of cruising and Royal Caribbean.

The Jewel!!! Great itinerary. I have been to several of these "cruisedays/night" and the offers are usually for wine at dinner, ship board credits (cash), free pics, even a shore excursion or an upgrade to a better cabin. The cost is not usually any better than you can find on your own shopping around on line. The show a few videos, offer a few door prices and are very willing to answer any questions. Have a good time and enjoy your first cruise.

My agency hosts at least 2 of these events every year, where reps from the more popular cruise lines all present their info. It's a good way to compare itins and costs, and get info for future cruises. I have booked at these events and have gotten very good deals-RCI my cruise line of choice. I also include RCI air, and cancel before final payment if I can get a better deal on my own. If you have an idea of what you want, so much the better. :D

As you can see, I will soon be on the Jewel again. I think of all the ships I've sailed, she is my favorite.

I've been on the Jewel and she's a fabulous ship! I have not been on Enchantment, but have been on two of her sister ships, and would pick Jewel over either of them (although, being spoiled rotten, I would pick the JS on Jewel:rolleyes: ).

My only caveat is that, because it's your first cruise, if you don't like it, it will only the the longest 5 days of your life instead of the longest 8.

I've been on both, if given the choice i'd pick the Jewel as well, nothing wrong with the Enchantment but i love the Jewel. I've never been to one of the TA thingys either, but as a previous poster said, go armed with the info that you can get online and compare the prices as well as any perks.

You've got nothing to lose by attending and who knows you might walk away with a freebie or an OBC.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising. Get ready to be hooked!:)

I believe all previous posters have chosen Jewel and the Radiance class ship are gorgeous. Having been on both more than once, I just wanted to say that Enchantment is a great ship and you would have a wonderful time. It is a little smaller than Jewel but has comprable activities, etc. Enchantment is an award winning ship so you cannot go wrong with either one--just pick the timing, itinerary, etc. that best suits your needs.

We have attended 'cruise events' and learned alot, got some freebees and when we booked got some additional credit or gift.

Check the RCI website for the prices so you know if your getting the same or better deal booking with this agency.

We have been on many cruises and the longer the better, although 5 days would be a great starter cruise. We always book our own airfare if we are leaving and returning to the same port. I like to have control over the flights and watch carefully for good deals on the prices. If we are not flying round trip, such as transatlantic then we would price through RCI.

Pick the cruise based on the ports you would like to vist, but make sure you get some sea days in as they are the most relaxing and you can do lots of fun things on the ship.

I agree, avoid spring break!

Have fun planning, it's half the fun!

Bev

Hello sleepless,

I would be interested to attend this 'event' if it is not too far from where I live (Davisburg , Mich)......where and when is this going to be ?

If you do not want to post this on board please email me. I want to find out more about RCI from their reps. WesKac@aol.com

Thanks, Wes

I do not know much about the ships and itinerary you are choosing, but I would take the longer one, if you love cruising 5 days is too short and I would have to think more love it then hate it. But what I have not seen stated was the fact that if you book the air on your own and weather or unforseen delays cause you to miss the ship, it is your problem if RC books it for you it is their problem and the cost to get you to the ship is on them. Same goes with any shore excursions you would take, if you book through Rccl and for some reason you miss the ship you are covered if you book independently you are not. But there are pros and cons to both. Air you might be able to book a non stop flight if you go through RCCL you might not have a choice and could get a very long day of flying with stops and such. Like I said pros and cons to both. Ask questions do your homework before you make a decision. But what I would ask the travel agency do they charge any cancellation fees if you cancel your cruise. And if you are not happy with them you might want to switch to another agency or directly to RCCL and don't want to have a cancellation fees. Or if the price drops from RCCL 10 times will they charge you for all those reductions.

RCI does not allow TA's to discount cruises and they encourage you to book with one. What most agencies do is offer some 'perk'- travel insurance, some wine etc. Choosing a ta is like choosing is like choosing a realtor or lawyer. Talk to them and make sure that they have YOUR best interests in mind After making the booking, will they look for price drops, residency/ military rates, and get them or get an on board credit or an upgrade? Will they charge you a fee for getting the lower fare? Service and expertise is what it is suppose to all about

Seas the Day!

We sailed the Enchantment before the "stretch" and it was wonderful. But we also sailed the Seranade which is Jewel's sister ship and I think it was a tad better and definitely bigger! Loved having the billard tables (my DH that is enjoyed them!) so I would put in my vote for the Jewel.

I also agree the longer the better. Our next cruise is only 5 nights and if we hadn't gotten such a deal it would be much longer. To us the longer the better, looking forward to a 14 or 15 night Hawaii cruise next year!

I would suggest booking your own flights. From Michigan you can get some good deals out of Detroit Metro to either FLL or Miami. We've paid less than $300 round trip for non-stop every time we've gone. I would also recommend you fly down a day early and stay at a hotel. That way if flight is delayed for some reason (especially here in Michigan) then you've got a safety time frame. Also, don't book an early flight coming back as ships don't usually clear until between 7-8 a.m. so earliest we've booked a flight back for has been 11:00 (which will be this November cruise).

If you have any additional questions, e-mail me at mercedesmom2002@yahoo.com

Hope this helps and you can't go wrong with RCI, they are the BEST!!!

Sue

I'll give you a few tips to get you started:

1. Book your own air...it's almost always cheaper...but mostly you have control over flight times.

2. Fly in the day before if possible...because flight delays and cancellations happen all the time. Today it's not as easy to get on the next flight, because they try to fill all planes. Unlike a resort that stays in place, the ship will leave without you.

3. Do not sign up for ship transfers. Take a taxi. Cheaper, hassle-free, and not as much waiting.

4. Don't worry too much about price...you can get price reduction if price goes down. Just check their website periodically...if the price goes down you call your TA or RCCL. Full refund up to final payment.

5. Personally, I think 5 days is too short. I think you'd like the 8 day better...make sure you like the itinerary.

After booking, ask any questions at this site.

Thanks again everyone. I will let you all know about the event, especially if they offer any extra special incentives.

Hello sleepless,

thanks for your information about the event and congratulation on the booking of your first cruise.......a very risky proposition.........cruises can become very, very addictive even worse than this Cruise Critic board.

I enjoyed meeting you and your spouse.

I hope that the event was somewhat beneficial for you and resulted in some savings or some other 'hidden' benefits.

I did not gain as much as I was hoping for and found this event very much an advertising event and a way to bring the potential cruisers to this particular agency.

I was very disappointed that the rep. did not offer any coupons to make the cruise (any cruise on 'their cruise line') even more tempting - that would have been a nice way to reward some of the people who spent the time to go there.

As far as getting information from the rep - I think there is more information on this board and it is coming from people that "have been there" and "have done this or that" and got noting to gain to 'steer us' in whatever direction. It would be hard for a rep to be unbias and to keep 'our' interest in mind.

This was my very first attendance in this sort of event and I am pretty sure the last one as well.

Enjoy your very first cruise - the first one, like anything else that is "first" will leave the strongest and longest lasting impressions.....at least that was true with me. Try not to expect 'too much' - not all of the 'advertisement' will become reality......it is so much better to expect less and possibly get 'less'....than to expect 'more' and get 'less'

Wes

We went to the Royal Carribean Cruise Event.

We booked our first cruise, the Jewel of the Seas, sail date March 22, 2008.

The Cruise Event was not very helpful (I learned most of what I needed to know from this board), but the TA made up for it.

Hello sleepless,

thanks for your information about the event and congratulation on the booking of your first cruise.......a very risky proposition.........cruises can become very, very addictive even worse than this Cruise Critic board.

I enjoyed meeting you and your spouse.

I hope that the event was somewhat beneficial for you and resulted in some savings or some other 'hidden' benefits.

I did not gain as much as I was hoping for and found this event very much an advertising event and a way to bring the potential cruisers to this particular agency.

I was very disappointed that the rep. did not offer any coupons to make the cruise (any cruise on 'their cruise line') even more tempting - that would have been a nice way to reward some of the people who spent the time to go there.

As far as getting information from the rep - I think there is more information on this board and it is coming from people that "have been there" and "have done this or that" and got noting to gain to 'steer us' in whatever direction. It would be hard for a rep to be unbias and to keep 'our' interest in mind.

This was my very first attendance in this sort of event and I am pretty sure the last one as well.

Enjoy your very first cruise - the first one, like anything else that is "first" will leave the strongest and longest lasting impressions.....at least that was true with me. Try not to expect 'too much' - not all of the 'advertisement' will become reality......it is so much better to expect less and possibly get 'less'....than to expect 'more' and get 'less'

Wes

Wes,

It was nice to meet you at the event also. You are right, in that I have found out more important information from Cruise Critic then I did the Royal Carribean Cruise Event. I also enjoyed talking with you about your cruise experiences.

I did expect it to be an "advertisement", but was a little disappointed in the lack of enthusiastic information. I expected more then a lap top video of the Cruise experience. I expected the RCCI Representative to talk about the different classes of ships, the various activities, the dining experience, on board/pool games and spa treatments. I expected some discussion about the ports, and some cruise "secrets". I guess I expected the Rep to get me excited about cruising.

The TA who booked our cruise was very helpful. She was able to advise us on various things. As part of booking that day, she did not charge a service fee and we were able to get our passport pictures taken at no charge. We are also receiving some on board goodies from the TA.

All in all, the day was a success. We booked our first cruise on Jewel of the Seas in March of 2008. We were able to secure our "first choice", a hump cabin # 9576 on deck 9, and our first seating dinner time is confirmed. DH and I are happy "cruisers to be".

I hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise with you family.

Archived