First Cruise On Freedom

scalde

Hi all,

I am planning on a first time cruise on the Freedom of the seas. we first got motivated when we saw her on the travel channel and it looked like great fun. I will be cruising with my wife and leaving the small ones at home as we will be treating this as a second honeymoon.

I guess my first question would be if this cruise would be a good one to take for a first timers in our early 30's? Also is there some reason why the prices go down in September? Is it because it is in the middle of hurricane season? have any of you experienced this cruise in that time of year? what was the weather like? also i am planning on getting a balcony room is it worth the extra 200 per person? one more question are formal nights mandatory? do i need to have a tuxedo to be able to board the ship? thanks your answers will be greatly appreciated.

How exciting to be planning your first cruise! This is the place to come for all your questions! I myself have learned alot from these boards. Although this is my first post, I've been on many many cruises and have been reading these boards for awhile now for info on the "Liberty" . Figure I'll try and help you out on your questions: Freedom ship is just something else and you will be in awe, it is for all ages.

September is during hurricane season,you may not have any problems however, it is a hit or miss. My expierence is such I only cruise now during Dec-May months. Plus for my family June-Sept was just too hot to go to the Caribbean! Balcony room is definitely worth the money in my opinion. As a matter of fact, get the best room you can, you won't be sorry. Nothing like sitting on your balcony in the wee hours of the morning looking out in the ocean..You can rent a tux on board, my husband hated it and only wore a dress shirt and jacket on the second formal night and does that from now on. Hope this helps you alittle, YOU WILL HAVE A BLAST!

First I think the Freedom is a great choice for a first cruise. There are pros and cons to all shapes and sizes of ship, but one thing is for sure, you won’t be bored. We had a blast on the flowrider and climbing the rock wall.

As for time of year, we generally take a cruise each year in the September-October time frame. I think the fact that school is back in session reducing the number of potential travelers plus the “frightening” weather are both contributors to less expensive fares. We have never been disappointed with the weather but you are traveling in that season. The worst we seem to encounter is a day of intermittent rain and higher winds than we would like.

Balcony is a must at a $200 premium. If money is a limiting factor, then no balcony is better than no cruise, but they are really nice. Ordering breakfast room service and eating on the balcony is most excellent.

Formal nights. This topic may stir some lively opinions. I am not one to necessarily likes to dress up. I work in the tech industry and a polo shirt is about as dressed up as I usually get. That being said, I have come to really enjoy the formal nights. I rent the tux via cruiselineformal.com for $85. It is delivered the first day, it has two shirts, one for each formal night. I don’t have to pack anything formal and it is picked up in my room the last day. Couldn’t be more convenient. The wife enjoys getting dialed in and we have a great time. Most will tell you that a suit is fine for these nights and there are always alternatives to eating in the dining room those two nights if you really want to avoid them.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for your info. I just to make this trip as memorable as it can. someone told me that september was good because there were not that many kids on board but then it is hurricane season. IM going ahead and booking one up today. as for formal im not into that sorta thing neither but if it goes with the experience of the cruise then i guess i will be alright with it.

Prices are good because kids are back in school.

Hurricane season- well it actually lasts from June to November,so make your plans as you wish,the ship will go well out of the way of storms if any are in the area. The main problem with hurricanes is the disruption they cause if they make landfall near an embarkation port,not really at sea.

I have sailed Freedom twice now and loved it. You will have some long lines for some tenderings and getting back on the ship. A half an hour was the longest wait. If you dont mind being around alot of people you will have a great time.

scalde,

My husband and I (in our early 30's) took our very first cruise on the Mariner (Voyager class) a few weeks ago - we LOVED it! Our next cruise will be on one of the Freedom class ships (very similar to Voyager class - just bigger with a few more bells & whistles). :D

We had a balcony cabin and really enjoyed it. My husband refused to cruise without one and says he'll always cruise with one. We didn't use our balcony a lot, but it was so nice to go out there each morning to 'check the weather' and look at the scenery. For me, I would like a balcony the next time we cruise (and, as I said, we'll have one because of my hubby!), but I could do a cabin with a window only (we were hardly in our cabin). Which would I prefer? A balcony, for sure! But, if funds were an issue, then I'd rather cruise than not. ;)

You'll have a lot of opinions about formal night, but the fact is, there aren't a lot of tuxes. If you don't mind wearing a suit, then you'll fit right in! Otherwise, go to another dining venue for formal night. The specialty restaurants are wonderful and only require "smart casual" attire. Also, if casual is your thing, then head to the Windjammer. Room service is always available too!

Please let us know what your plans are! Happy cruising from a "just first timer" to a newbie! ;)

Im in my 30's and adore the RCI ships - we sailed adventure last year and this year will be freedoms sister. Yes without doubt you will love it - formal night is a great experience and because there are 2 its always worth giving the first one a try (you dont have to wear a tux, a nice suit will do). Its fab seeing everyone in their finest and walking into the dining room with everyone.

Thanks I just went ahead and booked for the middle of September. I also got the balcony on the 7th deck. it was the best they had almost in the middle of the ship. any excursions you guys recommend? another question what type of night club do they have on board? and how are the alcoholic drinks purchased? I know they have a wine package, but we are not really into wine. thanks in advance

I will be on the FOS 4/15/07.Staying precruise interconinental.Drinks are purchased set sail pass this is issued before you cruise also is the room keyCozumel we be at paridise beach (great reviews).Montego bay it will be the canopy tour we are feeling adventuras.Caymen Islands maybe a spot along 7 mile beach sounds great.This ship is supposed to be magnificiant and I will post a review upon my return.

Im in my 30's and adore the RCI ships - we sailed adventure last year and this year will be freedoms sister. Yes without doubt you will love it - formal night is a great experience and because there are 2 its always worth giving the first one a try (you dont have to wear a tux, a nice suit will do). Its fab seeing everyone in their finest and walking into the dining room with everyone.

If you like Lobster and still only want to do 1 Formal night, be sure to skip the 1st Formal Night and make sure you are at the 2nd Formal Night instead because that is always Lobster(Tail) Night, don't be afraid to ask for 2 or 3 if you want, your waiter will bring you as many as you want.

Jimbo:D

Hey there Scalde:

Actually my very first cruise was last September on the Freedom of the Seas. I ended up booking an Owner's Suite and let me tell you, the cruise exceeded my expectations far more than I could have expected.

In regards to September, yes the rates are lower in part because of hurricane season but also because schools are back in session. Sure the issue of a hurricane is a pain, but take it from someone who lives in Miami Beach... the chances of your cruise being cancelled are slim to none. In the event a hurricane is churning out in the ocean during your cruise, they may alter the course and ports, but for me the ports were never all that important. Also keep in mind that assuming the weather is clear, the summer months (including Sept.) have some of the calmest seas. The only time I felt it was too hot was in Mexico... since we went to the ruins and there was no shade at all. As a matter of fact, the weather that week was perfect... never even so much as a passing shower!

As far as the formal nights go... I never did the tux thing... just a black suit and I felt perfectly fine... but then again, there were people on formal night in the dining room wearing much less formal than that. Seriously, a suit will be more than sufficient. Whether you're getting a regular category staterooom or a suite, a balcony is definitely a must. I know people say they NEVER spend time in their staterooms, but I found it a great place to hid away from the crowds when I wanted a little down time... and of course being able to sit on the balcony enjoying your view is very nice.

In regards to your age... I'm 27 and never felt out of place. There were cruisers of all ages onboard, but not nearly as many children as I hear some people mention... and it definitely wasn't an 'old' crowd either. I say go for it... enjoy yourself and just relax.

I find that doing a search in the “Ports of Call” section usually gets me some real world reviews of each if the excursions we are interested in. The music in the crypt is your run of the mill dance music, throwing in “classics” as the night progresses. There are “Theme” nights as well, like 70’s and such. A couple of our cruises the “DJ” though he was better than he was, making painfully lame attempts at mixing. Always a different scene on each of voyager and above cruises, sometimes it is really a place to be late night and on others it has been pretty weak.

hi iam too in my 30"s and we just came from the freedom with 8 couples more in the same age we love it!!!formal nigths a suit is ok and my husband on the second formal nigth never wears a suit just nice pants with longsleeve shirt. i recently did a review on my trip and there is info on the crypt,ports of call ect,you look for i am back from freedom report!!!

Thanks I just went ahead and booked for the middle of September. I also got the balcony on the 7th deck. it was the best they had almost in the middle of the ship. any excursions you guys recommend? another question what type of night club do they have on board? and how are the alcoholic drinks purchased? I know they have a wine package, but we are not really into wine. thanks in advance

Looks like we may be on the same cruise.

I too worried a bit about hurrican season and finally spent last night researching the issue. If you google cruise ships and hurricanes, you will see that even in September the odds of being effected by a severe hurricane are less than 1%, no more than say in October or August. My guess is that those 2 weeks in September are cheaper because it is the beginning of the school year again for kids. Not an ideal time to take kids out of school to go cruising, but I for one could not pass up that price. I met with my son's counselor yesterday, and he assured me that my then-7th grader will be just fine to miss the beginning of school (actually, he has 10 days of school before we go).

I happen to think that booking Freedom as your first cruise was a BAD BAD thing to do...cause on your next cruise you will feel like you are slumming it. ;) :p

I am 33 and I can't wait to do Freedom...but this isn't our first cruise. But from everything I am seeing it looks like it is going to be the best.

YES, a balcony is worth it (just read my siggie...lol) Especially if this is a 2nd honeymoon.

And I agree with the others about the excursions and checking out the ports of call boards here at CC. That how I plan my excursions, but looking at the port first through the eyes of the people who have been there.

Have a great cruise!

I surely would not say to rent a tux, when you were questioning a balcony cabin for 200$ pp difference. And yes, the Freedom is a great pick of a ship for 30 yr olds. Unless you do not want to take part in the rock climbing, the flow rider, the ice skating, the mini golf and the inline skating. If all you wish to do is lay in the sun, then any ship will do! As far as balcony--i love the sound of the ocean while i sleep. So it is worth it for me. But if it meant I could not cruise I would downgrade to OV or even PR. Now back to the formal nights. Do not be scared of it and go to the windjammer on that night. Part of the fun of the cruise is being waited on. And it is wonderful. I have always loved the dining experience because of the staff. They know what you like and before you ask for it, it is there. You can try as much as you want and eat as much of each dish as you wish.They encourage it! On formal nights, you will see men in tuxedos and men in suits. So a suit will do just fine for those nights if you have no tux. Enjoy and relax and pls understand that there will be things you will not be able to do or see on the cruise, cause there is so much going on. While at one activity, savor the moment and do not worry what you are missing. That is what cruise number 2 is for!

Also, do not miss the love and marriage show. Do not forget to sign up for crown and anchor after your first cruise. And sign up for meet and mingle and then go and meet the people you have chatted with on the roll call for your cruise date. They give out prizes too! Also, wander around the ship-through the decks you will see wonderful art and the stairwells all have nice stuff too. take it all in. enjoy. ANd the hot tubs at night--glorious!

Archived